• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Went and saw Black Swan last week. Can't say I enjoyed it, although I can understand why people might like it.

I though it was annoyingly filled with cheap scare tactics: when she rolls over and her mum's sitting there, when she's in the bath, when she visits the person in hospital... Maybe I'm a wimp but those scenes with the bleeding nails and the moving reflections got to me a bit for some reason (more than being given a fright at regular intervals) and in the I left early. Of course my leaving was postponed by the lezzy scene, which I was happy to stay a bit longer for.

seen so0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0ooooo many films since I last posted, but the last batch I saw were:

The Social Network - incredible
The Searchers - p. good
The Straight Story - amaziiiiiing

'til next time.

The Book of Eli - didn't really like it. I guess I'm a bit biased in this respect but I'm not a big fan of post-apocalyptic movies which such a heavy focus on religion. And I found it contradictory that Eli was seemingly very religious and yet killed dozens of people. Plus I found the plot twist to be a bit contrived and unlikely.

Personally I preferred the movie The Road, which had more of an emphasis on the effect something like this would have on people, knowing that there was no way to save themselves from the end, and that they just had to try to stay alive as long as they could.

The Book of Eli - didn't really like it. I guess I'm a bit biased in this respect but I'm not a big fan of post-apocalyptic movies which such a heavy focus on religion. And I found it contradictory that Eli was seemingly very religious and yet killed dozens of people. Plus I found the plot twist to be a bit contrived and unlikely.

Personally I preferred the movie The Road, which had more of an emphasis on the effect something like this would have on people, knowing that there was no way to save themselves from the end, and that they just had to try to stay alive as long as they could.

I agree, Sneaki. Denzel is a very devout Christian, and I think his sanctimony creeps into a few of his films - The Book of Eli more than any other. He still has presence, though, and I'll sit through anything with Mila Kunis in, because she is the most attractive woman in the world.

Agreement once more on The Road. It's excellent - the kind of film I know I'll love before I bother watching it, because everyone I know who had seen it, none of whose opinions I value, had warned me that it's boring and depressing. It's harrowing, and bleak to look at... but the kid is incredible, and as a story about a father's love for his son isn't depressing, it's hopeful.

I watched 'The Kids Are All Right' yesterday - and very nearly loved it. I like movies with that kind of liberal sensibility, and anyone who doesn't should avoid it, but even I thought it got laid on a bit thick in patches, and starts to feel a bit smug. The performances are all great though, and I want to be just like Mark Ruffalo's character, who's name escapes me. Would anyone be willing to bank roll an organic resturaunt/bar for me to run?

I also saw The Breed, on DVD. It's bad.

Oh, and - can someone who loves The Social Network explain to me what they like about it. I really didn't enjoy it at all.

Oh, and - can someone who loves The Social Network explain to me what they like about it. I really didn't enjoy it at all.

Was just interesting to see how this worldwide phenomenon started. The storyline isn't half bad as well, it's not your typical, started in a garage with one computer, story.
Evil twins, a sweet talking tech pirate, two best friends divided by money, sprinkled with a bit of deceit... The makings of a good film.

Was just interesting to see how this worldwide phenomenon started. The storyline isn't half bad as well, it's not your typical, started in a garage with one computer, story.
Evil twins, a sweet talking tech pirate, two best friends divided by money, sprinkled with a bit of deceit... The makings of a good film.

I think it's worth remembering that it's not a documentary about the birth of facebook, it's a movie.

I'll disagree with you on the story too, which I think is half bad. Maybe even two thirds bad. For me, the most interesting arc that Sorkin should've gone after was the relationship between said two friends, and why Zuckerberg would sell Eduardo out. Instead, he just paints Z'berg a kind of stoney hearted comic book sociopath from the word go, and we're just asked to accept his arsehole greed like it's glamorous, or something.

Is your 'sweet talking tech pirate' Justin Timberlake? Maybe I'm not pre-disposed to enjoy sweet talking tech pirates, but he sweet talked his way into my bad books. And, eventually, I'm going to round up everyone that is in those books, and put them in a leaky boat in the Pacific. I still like Cry me a River, though. Oh, and the twins were ****, I thought.

the social network 6/10 interesting to see how facebook started up but it bored the **** out of me

the social network 6/10 interesting to see how facebook started up but it bored the **** out of me

That's a confusing statement...

I'm not sure how you reconcile awarding a film that bored the **** out of you an above average score. What does a movie have to do to earn low score? Physically attack you? Kidnap your family?

I think it's worth remembering that it's not a documentary about the birth of facebook, it's a movie.

I'll disagree with you on the story too, which I think is half bad. Maybe even two thirds bad. For me, the most interesting arc that Sorkin should've gone after was the relationship between said two friends, and why Zuckerberg would sell Eduardo out. Instead, he just paints Z'berg a kind of stoney hearted comic book sociopath from the word go, and we're just asked to accept his arsehole greed like it's glamorous, or something.

Is your 'sweet talking tech pirate' Justin Timberlake? Maybe I'm not pre-disposed to enjoy sweet talking tech pirates, but he sweet talked his way into my bad books. And, eventually, I'm going to round up everyone that is in those books, and put them in a leaky boat in the Pacific. I still like Cry me a River, though. Oh, and the twins were ****, I thought.

I know it's not a documentary but it's still loosely based on a true story. JT was indeed the smooth talking pirate lol. What cracked me up was how cool the real Sean Parker must've felt. He looks like such a nerd! How the hell does JT = Sean Parker?! Haha.

Watched Battle: Los Angeles recently.
It was a stupid film, terrible direction and some awful editing...but it was good fun to watch.
Turn off any criticisms, the film isn't there to inspire you to think what would really happen if aliens invaded. The film is there to make you suffer briefly from motion sickness ala Cloverfield and show lots of shooting and explosions.
Good fun.

Watched Jackass 3 for the first time the other day - It's alright, some bits are done before, and some bits just aren't that great, but pretty good nontheless - still think Jackass 2 is the best they've done

Watched Jackass 3 for the first time the other day - It's alright, some bits are done before, and some bits just aren't that great, but pretty good nontheless - still think Jackass 2 is the best they've done

Agree that 2 was good, but 3 was hilarious but felt a little short in my opinion.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fn1DsJZXKqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Next Three Days - Bloody Brilliant!

The Fighter is the best movie ever in the history of cinema.

Latest posts