• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF and HB Studios - Rugby 2012 update #1

Ok, now that is someone talking to themselves.

Marlon, there is a whole thread of rucking suggestions, here.

Last edited:
Here's a question, if EA are truly off of Rugby for the immediate future, then which publisher is to follow with this ***le??? Why are HB Studios so quiet about who is to be the publisher??? Konami?? lol

Awesome announcement. Looking foward to the release in 2011.

An online game mode is a must!!

awesome news to hear, hopefully h.b studio ask the people for ratings of players

I believe no players should have stats above 90 other than Lomu lol, although the best players internationally can be 89 or 90 i.e. dan carter, richie mccaw, matt gitau, will genia, quade cooper, bryan habana, tommy bowe, brian o'driscoll and so on, but most international players should be between 80 to 90 anyway and no one should be lower than 65 to 70 as they become a pile of crap and professional players are never that bad.

I believe no players should have stats above 90 other than Lomu lol, although the best players internationally can be 89 or 90 i.e. dan carter, richie mccaw, matt gitau, will genia, quade cooper, bryan habana, tommy bowe, brian o'driscoll and so on, but most international players should be between 80 to 90 anyway and no one should be lower than 65 to 70 as they become a pile of crap and professional players are never that bad.

Why can't they be over 90 overall?

and they are only a pile of rubbish because of how poorly the stats are implemented not the statistical numbers themselves, when done right like in fifa 10 or madden, poor players are still competitive but the really good players stand out.

statistics!

Don't know if this was brought up yet, but searching a player's name on scrum.com will hook you up with full, year by year statistics, and if the game designers get on the scrum.com forums, they'll definitely get a good helping of opinions on every player to ever play the game. If i were to be creating a real life player to put into a rugby video game, scrum.com would be the first place i would go.

also, i don't know who has played mlb 2k10 or nhl 10, but if this rugby game were to have a mode where you create yourself and play a career only as yourself (as in, not switching ever, you have to play your position as well as you can while the computer handles everyone else) i think i would hug my xbox, tv set, and most of my family, including extended family who live out of the state.

I call scrumhalf for Leinster!

Doss passes to Sexton, beautiful pass as Sexton lines up the drop... it looks good!!! AND IT IS... AND LEINSTER HAS WON THE HEINEKEN CUP!!!!

I'm getting shivers just thinking about it.

If i were to be creating a real life player to put into a rugby video game, scrum.com would be the first place i would go.
I think HB Studios are already linked to a message board for rugby, but i can't for the life of me remember what it's called
Heard it's a pretty cool place though

wouldn't you guys love a MyPlayer mode? You start out and only a few basement teams are interested in a young, but potentially decent *insert position here*, and soon, you show the world that you're world-class material, you transfer to *insert favourite team here* and when the autumn internationals come around, you're playing for *your country*, fighting for the right to play in the 2015 world cup!

Nah, don't think it would work for a rugby game to be honest.

if it can work for a baseball game, it can definitely work for a rugby game. i don't see what wouldn't work about it, if you're a fullback or wing, its all about position, catching kicks, and hitting the right holes at the right time. if you're a forward, you have to make sure you're in support and do pick and rolls, not to mention hold your own in the scrum, and playing flyhalf or center would be awesome!

Some reasonable (I hope) improvements (some of these are reinforcing ideas that I've read from other people).

1. Online play. It's common these days but I don't want to assume HB is building it in, and in case they aren't I wanted to encourage them to.
2. Accurate players/rosters: name pronunciation correct, ratings accurate (and updating), physical representation accurate.
3. MyPlayer mode. Nadoss just mentioned this idea. On it's own would be a big development, but FIFA has it so if they can migrate that into Rugby 2012 it shouldn't hog too many development resources. What a cool feature that would be!
4. Commentating needs to be more varied. The script needs to be at least tripled and/or to have more than Grant Fox and Ian Robertson.
5. Running controls need to be shored up. The sidestep delay seems glitchy.
6. Skip passes should be a double-tap. Holding the pass button should affect the speed/power of the pass.
7. I find myself holding the sprint button all game but rugby is a game where changing pace matters. Perhaps pace changes could affect the way the AI behaves or the effectiveness of a player's other moves (i.e. sidesteps/passing skills are better when not at full sprint).
8. Hold triangle when approaching a ball on the ground to kick it forward again, soccer style.
9. Poaching after the tackle.
10. No more button mashing X to get guys into a ruck. If someone does that, they should have a high probability of losing the next ruck because they have no forwards free to ruck the next phase.

BTW, regarding a Sevens mode. I love sevens but, as one guy said, it would require an entirely different game engine. It just doesn't make sense with the budget constraints. I'd love to see it as a standalone ***le though.

sevens doesn't require a new engine, it's the same with 3 to a scrum and lineout... not the biggest changes I've heard of??

mcougy:
good call, i definitely agree with you almost everywhere on there. a few things though, the 2008 game had the soccer kicks you mentioned, (although, i must say, they were super exploitable if you got good at them, all i ever had to do was send it out to the wing and have him soccer kick all the way down the field, you shoulda seen the AI... freakin out man)

i also agree with the whole passing thing, you should be more accurate when you aren't sprinting. i play scrumhalf, so passing is my strong suit, but when i helped my teammates with it, the first step was having them sloooow down.

I think, like NHL '10, my player mode could be a huge selling point, and could be a good way for people to start to understand rugby from the inside out. Rather than learn everything that is going on at once, you would have a chance to learn the roles of the players, and put it together to understand the big picture, it would be a great learning tool. (my friends know infinitely more about hockey now that we've been playing NHL 10 locked to a single position)

I also totally agree with your rucking ideas. In the previous games, you'd tackle a guy with no support for miles and then have to wait for them to get there before you could try to win the ball, WTF? also, i think with a my player mode, that would clarify the breakdown, because at times you would have to play it as a single player, forcing them to make it more than tapping x.

Last thing, I want some rolling mauls. *evil grin*
otherwise, what kind of chance will Italy EVER HAVE?

even if the engine was pretty similar, you'd need to put in another few hundred players and adjust refereeing AI

would love the game to have magners league, guinness premiership, top 14, heineken cup, challenge cup and lv cup