• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: Wallabies - All Blacks @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (27-8-2011, 10:05GMT)

In the first half of this test and through out the last test, the Wallabies were getting away with taking men out off the ball around the ruck left right and centre. You weren't exactly hard done by.

Notice how many confident Australians posting here until after the fact? Not sure it hit double figures in 20 pages!

I winder how different our world cup squad would be if it were selected AFTER this match.

I winder how different our world cup squad would be if it were selected AFTER this match.
i dont think it would be that much different. Maybe Hosea Gear over Guildford, but not seeing too much difference

i dont think it would be that much different. Maybe Hosea Gear over Guildford, but not seeing too much difference

I'd be right behind that. Guys like Hosea have been badly maligned for defence, what did Guildford bring?

Well now I guess I'm even more interested in what the scoreline will be compared to NZ vs FRN and AUS vs IRE, hopefully Australia's weaker fixtures will come at a high cost to them.

Well its always disappointing to see the All Blacks lose. Some players just didnt step up, made too many errors. Guilford and Adam thomson were poor. Their positions in the match day 22 have taken a serious dent. Victor Vito play well and Toeava made an impact when he replaced Guilford. Dagg must replace Mills. He offers so much more on attack...or atleast play Dagg on the wing.

The forwards were poor in the first half...they needed a rark up and looks like they got that at half time. The first 20 mins of the 2nd half we saw the ABs try the pick up and play between the forwards,punching the defence and the backs ran through the holes. But after the Beale try the ABs stop doing that and started going wide again without pulling the defence in. I hope Kieran Read's injury is not major. We missed him and also Jerome Kaino, their physicality was absent. Vito did a great job in my mind. Good selection there.

The momentum is handed over to Wallabies, I am happy about that. Just look back a few weeks ago in Auckland, the way the ABs responded after the Wallabies were talking it up....and they will talk it up again.

Probably a bit late for an after match rant, but whatever.

I try not to be one for knee jerking, and thankfully, after this game I'm able to stick by this theory.

The ABs were so appalling in the first half I was embarrassed. Yes, Australia were great but we were equally as poor. Whether or not this was due to Aus is debatable, but tbh, I don't really care: the ABs showed how lethal they can be when they kicked into gear for the first 20 mins of the second half.

Other than, Barnes is just as inept as he was four years ago, although I did find it amusing how every time he seemed to want to blow the whistle, he wiped his nose instead. Strange, strange man. He wasn't controversial, but he wasn't anything. Just kind of let the game go, which is just as bad as making **** decisions. Might sound like sour grapes, which it is.

Guildford played like a man who knew the whole of NZ was waiting for him to stuff up so they could say 'I told you say' RE: Gear. He had a mare, but I don't think that means he can't improve. I will say, however, other than Nonu, who do we have that can break the line? My favourite part of Gear's game is his ability to get out of tackles when it seems impossible.

In saying that, we do have Dagg so it's not all doom and gloom.

World Cup wise, I really couldn't give a ****. Winning the 3N didn't help us the past two times, and it won't help us now. If anything, it might take the pressure off a bit, because we're so fickle we'll all now be convinced the Wallabies are going to win it. Until the competition actually starts, something like that is just pointless.

Also, thought Vito was the best man in a black jersey tonight. He was a monster on defence (although mainly unnoticed) and kept the error count down, which can't be said for many.

Last edited:
In the first half of this test and through out the last test, the Wallabies were getting away with taking men out off the ball around the ruck left right and centre. You weren't exactly hard done by.

Beaten at their own game.....FARK YEAH!!

How did the ref miss that lineout near the end of the game btw, I mean... it was pretty blatant.

Mate...we must of been watching a different game.

Australia were offside almost the full game, I'm watching it twice now and the offside refereeing is TERRIBLE.........

we were watching a different game. Wallabies could do no wrong while the Allblanks tried cheating as usual with the help of the ref and still lost :p

we were watching a different game. Wallabies could do no wrong while the Allblanks tried cheating as usual with the help of the ref and still lost :p

I agree, New Zealand looked like the ones mostly offside to me.

The first half was the same as last week against the Springboks, they tried to go out wide too soon (the same as the Wallabies in Auckland) with out getting forward ascendancy and pressure. The good thing was they were capable to adapting to another game plan which worked. But after the beale try they went back to playing like in the first half, going out wide. I find that very strange, the change in tactics after coming back in the game.

Good win for the Wallabies, weird to watch but you could see they played with more to prove and completely shut the ABs out in the first 40m. Great comeback by the ABs but undone in one swift linebreak by what is the best halfback in the world, Genia. I agree with others that Dagg needs to come back in for Muliaina, with Jane and Toeava on the wings (should be Gear dammit). Pack should still stay the same bar the obvious, Kaino in for Thompson. Disappointing to lose the tri-nations but a couple of losses now should ensure we don't take anything for granted in the world cup. Still don't think Aussie can beat us at Eden Park (or NZ for that matter) but they will take alot of confidence out of this game and a Wallabies team playing with confidence is a dangerous prospect.

Good win for the Wallabies, weird to watch but you could see they played with more to prove and completely shut the ABs out in the first 40m. Great comeback by the ABs but undone in one swift linebreak by what is the best halfback in the world, Genia. I agree with others that Dagg needs to come back in for Muliaina, with Jane and Toeava on the wings (should be Gear dammit). Pack should still stay the same bar the obvious, Kaino in for Thompson. Disappointing to lose the tri-nations but a couple of losses now should ensure we don't take anything for granted in the world cup. Still don't think Aussie can beat us at Eden Park (or NZ for that matter) but they will take alot of confidence out of this game and a Wallabies team playing with confidence is a dangerous prospect.

i agree, this win will help the wallabies' world cup campaign, but no way will we beat the all blacks at eden park if we meet them in the final

To be fair you probably missed the best of their play which was in the first 20 mins of the second half where they scored a try each. They were a little quiet in the last 10 minutes, but we seemed to lose all our momentum after the Beale try.
That is very fair of you! Thx for not laughing me off the forum.

Overall I stand by the point about lack of danger in the midfield.

Only saw the last 15, but I have watched the ABs a couple of times in the past month. Not convinced by their midfield at all in attack, they didn't step up in the last 10 minutes. I think that's the biggest worry for the ABs over the next month. There is some clever attacking out wide, but the weakness lies just outside Carter.

I don't really agree with you there. Nonu was a complete beast during the game regarding taking the ball to the line and Conrad Smith made a lot of cover tackles as usual. The All Blacks were thoroughly out done in the forward pack by an extremely good side and I think that the backs benefited while the All Blacks back line couldn't fire properly until the second half when the forwards suddenly decided to turn up.

Man of the match for me was by a mile Radike Samo, that aero dynamic hairstyle of him helped him gas two wingers! Just a beast in every facet of play.

Latest posts