• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies vs Barbarians 01/11/2014 Twickenham stadium

I really wish the overhead tap and go had resulted in a try, would have been one of my favourites this year if they had pulled it off.

Cracking match to watch with some fantastic classic Barbarians stuff and some great play from Aus.

Have to say though, I didn't feel Aus were great. They didn't always show the structural / organisational superiority you'd expect from a test side against the Baabaas, especially in the first half. There was one point where they made a break out of defence and after the tackle was made around the ten metre line there was no-one clearing out, that's criminal from an international team.

In terms of individual performances, Keridrani was of course excellent, and Genia often wasn't. Picked some runners out beautifully at times (especially for two of the tries), also got caught at the base a couple of times and often looked a little slow. He also seemed anonymous for much of the game, not really taking charge of the game like a nine of his class should.

I really wish the overhead tap and go had resulted in a try, would have been one of my favourites this year if they had pulled it off.

Me too, that was pure comic brilliance. As was the long lineout throw to Cummins the other side of the field, I really wish he'd caught it. Technically it wouldn't have been straight, but it would take a real arsehole of a ref to give that against the Baabaas

There was one point where they made a break out of defence and after the tackle was made around the ten metre line there was no-one clearing out, that's criminal from an international team.

Well they are Australians... :D

Me too, that was pure comic brilliance. As was the long lineout throw to Cummins the other side of the field, I really wish he'd caught it. Technically it wouldn't have been straight, but it would take a real arsehole of a ref to give that against the Baabaas

Not sure what the rule is, isn't it only considered not straight if thrown on your side? If you throw it towards the opposition, it shouldn't be to your benefit and is therefore allowed. I just wonder if it could be considered a forward pass... Really not sure what the legality of it would be.

Last edited:
ragerancher;684572) said:
Not sure what the rule is, isn't it only considered not straight if thrown on your side? If you throw it towards the opposition, it shouldn't be to your benefit and is therefore allowed. I just wonder if it could be considered a forward pass... Really not sure what the legality of it would be.

The ball has to be thrown on straight - it can't go down either side of the line out.

That being said, once the ball passes the 15(?) metre mark it no longer matters. Given how quickly Luatua threw it, I don't know whether Joubert would've seen the ball before it passed said line so he may well have allowed it ;)

Well they are Australians... :D

Boom! Like it

The ball has to be thrown on straight - it can't go down either side of the line out.

That being said, once the ball passes the 15(?) metre mark it no longer matters. Given how quickly Luatua threw it, I don't know whether Joubert would've seen the ball before it passed said line so he may well have allowed it ;)

Well if it wasn't straight by 40m geometry would suggest that in theory at least it hadn't been straight at 15...unless Luatua's throw was cleverly angled to go straight for 15m then curl gently outwards, giving Cummins a crucial extra couple of metres on the gainline. Which just goes to show that even in a Baabaas shirt those dirty cheating Kiwis will stop at nothing to bend the rules to their advantage, stamping all over the age-old credibility of rugby in the process. Shameful.

not really, the spin on the ball and gravity would have given the throw a curve to it same way a ball bends when you kick it.

Tevita Li starting for Baabaas @ FB tomorrow night against Leicester

Barbaians

1 L Adriaanse
2 M Schwalger
3 T du Toit
4 Bird
5 Kellock
6 Rhodes
7 Brussow
8 J Botes
9 F Tanaka
10 Boshoff
11 N Cummins
12 F Saili
13 J de Jongh
14 F Halai
15 Tevita Li

N Anett
J Marshall
M Stevens
A Ta'avao
S Luatua
M Todd
A Thomson
S Pretorius
S Duke
T English

15 Freddie Burns
14 Miles Benjamin
13 Christian Loamanu
12 Anthony Allen
11 Vereniki Goneva
10 Owen Williams
9 David Mele
1 Michele Rizzo
2 Jake Farnworth
3 Fraser Balmain
4 Harry Wells
5 Sebastian De Chaves
6 Laurence Pearce
7 Jamie Gibson
8 Jordan Crane (c)

Replacements
16 George Nairn
17 Tom Bristow
18 Tiziano Pasquali
19 Charlie Beckett
20 Paul Grant
21 George Tresidder
22 Tommy Bell
23 Adam Thompstone

Excited to see Li in action as well as the other players.

Burns @ 15 is interesting apparently he was very good as a attacking Fullback when he first came to the scene at glous.