Barbarians
Wales v South Africa
433px-wru_logo-150x150.png
V
newspringbokemblem.jpg

13th November @ 1430 GMT, Millennium Stadium

Last edited:
SA XV I would like to see:

Backline is okay, pity about Adi Jacobs, but who else? Pat Lambie can make our backline move and F Steyn can kick at goal. I think this team will be a winner, but then again dreams don't come true.

15. F Steyn
14. B Basson
13. A Jacobs
12. J de Villiers
11. G Aplon
10. P Lambie
9. F Hougaard
8. W Alberts
7. J Smith
6. K Daniel
5. A Hargreaves
4. B Botha
3. J du Plessis
2. B du Plessis
1. CJ vd Linde

What we will probably see, and then the game can go either way with SA's forward pack playing well, but the backline being generally useless (thank Morne!)

15. Aplon
14. Basson
13. F Steyn/JdV
12. Jdv/F Steyn
11. Habana
10. M.Steyn (Yay)
9. Pienaar
8. Spies (PLEASE NO, PLEASEPLEASE)
7. Smith
6. Stegmann
5. Matfield
4. Bakkies
3. Jannie
2. Bismark
1. Beast

It would be worth considering dropping Mike Phillips to the bench for Richie Rees.
He was solid when he came on and his quick ball was what Wales needed.
Byrne should be back, so put him at 15 and drop Hook to 12, with Bishop at 13 and Shanklin taking Biggars spot on the bench.
I'd also drop JT for Andy Powell, and keep Dan and Sam at 6/7.

Can't see us losing this, regardless of team selection. Wales have a good pack, and it should be a brutal battle up-front, but with this extra week of practice, and confidence re-instated after the Ireland test, I'm expecting a comfortable win.

32-16 to the Boks.

I can actually see us winning this, but our lineout has to function.

We'll at least gain parity at scrum time, if not have an ever so slight edge, but it won't have any baring on the game. I'd go for the same pack as Draggs suggests above if Ryan Jones isn't fit. Powell will offer us more go forward, with Warburton and Lydiate doign the hard graft. I'd expect Lydiate to have a better game again, as he improves with confidence and experience. The only thing that will count for JT is his lineout abilities. There are very few lineout jumpers in that pack, that's not a good thing against SA!

I want to see much more creativity in the backs this week, as that's the way to beat this SA team, so if Byrne is back I'd again agree with Draggs's backline. There are calls for Hook to play 10, but I'd stay with Stephen Jones who probably won't have two bad games in a row. Rees is simply playing better than Phillips, and the only reasons to start Phillips imo is his previous performances against SA with the Lions. The final area of contention is the no. 14 shirt. But with Byrne back, he will add the physicality in the back three that was missing against Aus. Brew, North or Prydie could be given a chance though.

I want to see some majour changes on the bench though. Hibbard over Bennett please, and Gough over Deiniol Jones. Shanklin instead of Biggar aswell with Hook covering 10.

Last edited:
Don't see Wales winning this one... their backs had very little to offer last week against our boys. The only thing they really had going for them was their scrum, and that won't matter against the Springboks. I'm betting the Boks will have more running in them too, they can actually be pretty handy with the ball in hand, so I'm going to go for a 28-15 scoreline with the Welsh getting all their points off the boot and the boks getting a fair chunk of theirs that way too.

@ sker: Why put Alberts at 8? You should put Kankowski there or Daniel but Alberts is too valuable as a flanker.

My favourite 15 to start:

15: Gio Aplon
14: Bjorn Basson
13: Francois Steyn
12: Jean de Villiers
11: Lwazi Mvovo

10: Pat Lambie
9: Ruan Pienaar

8: Ryan Kankowski
7: Juan Smith
6: Keegan Daniel/Willem Alberts

5: Alistair Hargreaves
4: Bakkies Botha

3: Jannie du Plessis
2: Bismarck du Plessis
1: CJ van der Linde

- Aplon is our best fullback in the squad
- Mvovo deserves a chance after his amazing Currie Cup season
- Francois Steyn is better as a center than as fullback
- Adi Jacobs didn't bring it against Ireland and who can blame him? Long injury and no gametime at all these last few months. Give him a breather
- Lambie is a risk since his kicking is not nearly as good as Morne Steyn but I prefer to see him start
- Kankowski played a phenomenal season just like Mvovo and deserves a start over Spies any day in his current form
- Alberts is an amazing flanker, not an eight-man. Same goes for Daniel but Daniel is the better of the 2 for the 8-position
- Alistair Hargreaves deserves a chance and Scotland and Wales are the teams to take that chance
- CJ van der Linde is an amazing prop, plain simple.

The lineup accounced:

Gio Aplon,
Bjorn Basson,
Frans Steyn,
Jean de Villiers,
Bryan Habana,

Morne Steyn,
Ruan Pienaar,

Pierre Spies,
Juan Smith,
Deon Stegmann,
Victor Matfield (c),
Bakkies Botha,
Jannie du Plessis,
Bismarck du Plessis,
Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements:
Chiliboy Ralepelle,
CJ van der Linde,
Flip van der Merwe,
TBC,
Francois Hougaard,
Zane Kirchner,
Patrick Lambie

The lineup accounced:

Gio Aplon,
Bjorn Basson,
Frans Steyn,
Jean de Villiers,
Bryan Habana,

Morne Steyn,
Ruan Pienaar,

Pierre Spies,
Juan Smith,
Deon Stegmann,
Victor Matfield (c),
Bakkies Botha,
Jannie du Plessis,
Bismarck du Plessis,
Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements:
Chiliboy Ralepelle,
CJ van der Linde,
Flip van der Merwe,
TBC,
Francois Hougaard,
Zane Kirchner,
Patrick Lambie

That's actually a very promising side. Wouldn't make any changes, except except starting Cj van der Linde.

@ sker: Why put Alberts at 8? You should put Kankowski there or Daniel but Alberts is too valuable as a flanker.

My favourite 15 to start:

15: Gio Aplon (agreed)
14: Bjorn Basson (agree)
13: Francois Steyn (agree)
12: Jean de Villiers (agree)
11: Lwazi Mvovo (agree - I think Basson is our best current wing but that Mvovo should be really effective in NH conditions and in better form than Habana)

10: Pat Lambie (a bit of a trial by fire but I'm keen on it too; Steyn needs rest and Lambie needs experience. Also, playing against Wales should suit him)
9: Ruan Pienaar (agree, our best 9 after F du Preez and we need his cool head inside of Lambie )

8: Ryan Kankowski (Spies has been awful for a while now. I would prefer Vermeulen, Kanko, Potgieter, Burger, Alberts, Joubert and Johnson ahead of Spies- wholeheartedly agreed)
7: Juan Smith (has not played overly much rugby this year and is looking to get back to his old self)
6: Willem Alberts (absolutely - with Brussouw and Schalk injured it is criminal that this guy isn't getting gametime. I prefer Potgieter ahead of Daniel though)

5: Alistair Hargreaves (with Bekker injured and Smit also I would still play Matfiled as captain)
4: Bakkies Botha (agree; he needs to get form and continue playing the ball instead of the amn)

3: Jannie du Plessis (frontrow speaks for itslef with Guthro unavailable)
2: Bismarck du Plessis
1: CJ van der Linde

QUOTE]

That said, the announced squad looks pretty solid and although I wouldn't start the out of form duo of Spies and Habana who only put pressure on the team, we should win and I predict a lead of 18 after 50 minutes and then letting the Welsh in for 2 tries at the end as per usual. Hopefully Lambie gets an extended run this time round. Pity Mvovo and Alberts hasn't been named. Well, I guess there is still hope for Alberts on the bench.

SA to win if wales don't run

Cant see wales winning this one! Not if they continue with Jones at fly half. Hook needs to play against SA (at fly half) for them to have a chance. The key to unlocking SA has been shown through this year to be keeping the ball and running it from all over, Jones is not up to it. Wales scrumed well against the Ausies and so did SA against the Irish gona be a great game

Is the "TBC" waiting to see if Willem Alberts is fit?

Just read that Byrne and Ryan Jones are expected to be fit for the match, but Warburton is injured.
Would expect the backrow to be: 6.Powell, 7.Williams, 8.Jones, with JT on the bench (and Warburton unjustly losing his spot)

Also, Barry John is calling for Biggar to have the 10 shirt :wacko:

Last edited:
I cannot imagine Alberts, Mvovo and Hargreaves being called up for a tour and not getting any gametime. The match against Scotland will be theirs probably

Warburton has torn his calf muscle, id expect a backrow of Lydiate, Williams and Jones to follow, however JT playing at 6 is also a likely option.

Pitty Warburton is out, he seems quite injury prone, hope he can get it under control or he's gonna struggle to fulfill his undoubted potential. Hopefully Turnbull will get called up as a replacement, he deserves a shot.

So Martyn Will be openside and Ryan Jones looks set to figure at 6 or 8 with Powell, JT or Lydiate takign the other spot. I think Gatland will stick with Lydiate at blindside with Ryan at 8. Gatland has haid many times how impressed he's been with Lydiate, and I think he'll use the rest of this AI series to get him up to speed. Wouldn't be surprised to see Powell and JT on the bench, with JT and Ryan covering second-row.

Warburton out, Ryan and Byrne in. For once, I'm not too fussed who starts a No. 8- Andy Powell is playing well, Ryan Jones is a great leader and shall no doubt step it up this weekend if selected, Falteau is certainly one more the future who deserves game time and JT played well last week, (As he has done all season) even if I don't think he's a No. 8.

Byrne being back means we can go with a Hook/Bish midfield. Put Hook at 10 at key moments and Stephen Jones (Who has a centres build, anyway) at 12.

Not if they continue with Jones at fly half. Hook needs to play against SA (at fly half) for them to have a chance. The key to unlocking SA has been shown through this year to be keeping the ball and running it from all over, Jones is not up to it. Wales scrumed well against the Ausies and so did SA against the Irish gona be a great game

That's what I've said for the past three years. While I agree with dropping Jones, Biggar is not the man to take over.

I think the Welsh backs will be much better, given some creativity in the midfield and also a proper fullback attacking. Shame about Sam, but Nugget has been in good form so far.
I don't really see why Lydiate would be dropped, he is better than JT right now and Andy Powell just isn't a 6. I probably start Ryan at 8 and JT on the bench to cover 4/5,6,8.

Glad to see Spies in over Kankowski!

When will PDV realise that Habana hasn't had a good game at international level for at least a year now?

Latest posts