• Ireland

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • France

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Japans rugby market grows like i think it will and they stay on the same path with Super Rugby and possibly the RC. Then obviously Sanzar will also benefit.

The Japanese super rugby games have been some of the most viewed in the history of the comp. The japan world cup games in 2015 had the highest viewing figures ever recorded. All this points to Sanzar getting a healthier TV deal in Japan after 2019.

But ask yourself this, would it be better to be a victim of a petty crime such as theft of your wallet, or getting half of the stadium bombed by terrorists, having mass casualties and ultimately having to call off the tournament completely.

Great to hear such procedures were in place for the 2010 world cup. I'm sure South Africa do step it up & it would still be a terrific event. But the security in Ireland I'm sure would be equally as good, without having to worry about petty crime either. I went to both the 2015 RWC & the 2016 Euro's football tournament & nothing went wrong apart from Russian hooligans in Marseilles. To try and use terrorism as a means of deflecting the world cup to South Africa is pretty ridiculous & doesn't add up either. Africa is home to a large number of Islamic extremist groups & would have far more of an easier time getting to South Africa than into Ireland with any dangerous materials, bombs or weapons.

Last edited:
All of this NH/SH stuff is silly. What connection do we have to Japan whereby them hosting a RWC benefits us? I'll grant you it was nice that the English held it last time as it was nearby, but that's the only case where I can see the NH/SH stuff as a legitimate argument. Besides Japan are a lot closer linked to SANZAR than they are to us. We have nothing to do with them, whereas the growth of the game in Japan could directly benefit Super Rugby in years to come. They want the Sunwolves experiment to be a success.
But ask yourself this, would it be better to be a victim of a petty crime such as theft of your wallet, or getting half of the stadium bombed by terrorists, having mass casualties and ultimately having to call off the tournament completely.
What are you on about? My god you sound like fox news. What terrorist attacks have there been in Ireland in recent years? We're a relatively isolated island nation. We don't have a large immigrant population and do not marginalize those immigrants we have. Our largest immigrant groups are Polish, British, Lithuanian, Latvian and Nigerian in that order. We're quite far flung from Islamic terror. We even have more South Africans than people from countries linked with terror in Europe. You're honestly going to try and claim SA is safer than Ireland when you clearly haven't the first notion about it? Ah it's nice that the travel agents will tell you where not to go, but I'd rather go to a tournament where being mugged is not a likelihood anywhere I walk. What's the likelihood we are targeted in a terror attack? Probably as low as it gets. Definitely lower than in South Africa.
I don't say this to be rude to you or about South Africa, but you have to know it's more dangerous than Ireland.

Last edited:
Who is going to benefit from having it in Japan??

Answer:
Japan and World Rugby.

Everyone else will be under the same scrutiny.

^this its why I think the NH 3 times in a row is a completely false argument as it suggests 6 nations teams benefit. I think its fair to say not SANZAR 3 times in a row.

groundhog the entire argument about terroism is stupid, what the chances of a terrorism attack in country of any of the 6 nations even occuring during the tournament? (let alone being involved in one)? I think France is most likely and the chances there are still slim. Those of us who don't freak out every time it happens remember a time when the IRA were an almost daily threat.

^this its why I think the NH 3 times in a row is a completely false argument as it suggests 6 nations teams benefit. I think its fair to say not SANZAR 3 times in a row.

groundhog the entire argument about terroism is stupid, what the chances of a terrorism attack in country of any of the 6 nations even occuring during the tournament? (let alone being involved in one)? I think France is most likely and the chances there are still slim. Those of us who don't freak out every time it happens remember a time when the IRA were an almost daily threat.
Exactly, there seems to be a perception outside of Europe that people are living in fear of terrorism. I'm living on the continent now and it's simply not true. There is no widespread panic. Terrorism should not be an argument against hosting a major tournament anyway, but I find it being applied to Ireland particularly odd. If Euro 2016 went off without a hitch in a city and stadium which was targeted a few months before, I'm pretty sure Ireland on the western fringe of Europe can manage.

Exactly, there seems to be a perception outside of Europe that people are living in fear of terrorism. I'm living on the continent now and it's simply not true. There is no widespread panic. Terrorism should not be an argument against hosting a major tournament anyway, but I find it being applied to Ireland particularly odd. If Euro 2016 went off without a hitch in a city and stadium which was targeted a few months before, I'm pretty sure Ireland on the western fringe of Europe can manage.

The only terrorists Ireland has these days is their rugby commentators. :lol:

I suppose its already been asked but do Ireland have the stadiums to host a World cup? Genuine question Im not trying to trigger anyone (alpha bro).

I suppose its already been asked but do Ireland have the stadiums to host a World cup? Genuine question Im not trying to trigger anyone (alpha bro).

New Zealand managed & we only have one stadium over 35,000 and that's Eden Park.

I suppose the venues would be Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway & with a few other smaller towns getting a game or two from the minnow games? Would you throw Belfast in there?

What about sharing the event with Scotland to?

New Zealand managed & we only have one stadium over 35,000 and that's Eden Park.

I suppose the venues would be Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway & with a few other smaller towns getting a game or two from the minnow games? Would you throw Belfast in there?

What about sharing the event with Scotland to?

Didn't the New Zealand world cup make a big loss?

Didn't the New Zealand world cup make a big loss?

Yeah it did, but it was a successful loss. It was predicted to operate at a relatively heavy loss but ended up doing well. I think something like 10m less was saved. The event was a success.

Cork Park is substantially bigger than Eden Park to, so surely they can have a number of high profile matches there.

Great to hear such procedures were in place for the 2010 world cup. I'm sure South Africa do step it up & it would still be a terrific event. But the security in Ireland I'm sure would be equally as good, without having to worry about petty crime either. I went to both the 2015 RWC & the 2016 Euro's football tournament & nothing went wrong apart from Russian hooligans in Marseilles. To try and use terrorism as a means of deflecting the world cup to South Africa is pretty ridiculous & doesn't add up either. Africa is home to a large number of Islamic extremist groups & would have far more of an easier time getting to South Africa than into Ireland with any dangerous materials, bombs or weapons.

That may be true, but South Africa is one of the countries with the most diverse groups of religions, where everyone has the freedom to adopt whichever religion they wish. We have Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Rastafarians, Pastafarians, Buddhists, Jews, etc. Yet we don't have those extremists here.

Of course it is stupid. But so is the whole discussion about crime in SA. we are talking about worst-case scenarios here. I have lived in SA my whole life (32 years) and have been to plenty of sports matches in SA and not once have I been a victim of a crime. And where I live, there has never been a break-in or anything crime-related happening there in the past 5 years since I moved there.

There is always the possibility of it happening to you, and the only reason I used the terrorism-scenario, is that just like you see and hear about the crime in SA, so too do we see and hear about the bombings and terrorist acts happening in Europe and Britain. And that is why we mention it with regards to Ireland and France.

Fact is, that there could be terrorist plans for SA in the future, just like there could be a crime-spree in Ireland. We just don't know.

by that logic we should then rather put SA with Europe, Argentina and the Americas on their own and have Australia/New Zealand/PI & Japan grouped together by time zones. It would be more economical for South Africans to fly to Europe as it's straight up North, with no jetlag. Whereas a flight to Japan is at least 20 hours, with Stop Overs, and a lot of Jetlag.

And since we are talking economics, it would be for all the fans much cheaper and economically viable to come to SA. Our Currency exchange rate is making it cheaper and cheaper for tourists to come here. Especially now since we are now on Junk Status.

Don't the GAA get a bit funny about hosting "Garrison Games" at their venues?

Not when they're set to make a tonne of money, they even avoid the criticism of having a multi-million euro business and not paying their players here! They're signed on, bid wouldn't have been made wothout them.

Outside of Limerick Ireland is one of the safest countries around.

Personally I feel it should go
Ireland
Argentina
USA/Canada
SA
Germany or Spain or Italy

Of course it is stupid. But so is the whole discussion about crime in SA. we are talking about worst-case scenarios here. I have lived in SA my whole life (32 years) and have been to plenty of sports matches in SA and not once have I been a victim of a crime. And where I live, there has never been a break-in or anything crime-related happening there in the past 5 years since I moved there.

There is always the possibility of it happening to you, and the only reason I used the terrorism-scenario, is that just like you see and hear about the crime in SA, so too do we see and hear about the bombings and terrorist acts happening in Europe and Britain. And that is why we mention it with regards to Ireland and France.

Fact is, that there could be terrorist plans for SA in the future, just like there could be a crime-spree in Ireland. We just don't know.

I'm afraid that statistics just don't work that way; they take national level frequencies into account, not personal experience of an individual.
Here's a direct comparison betwen crime levels in SA versus crime levels in Ireland
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Ireland&country2=South+Africa (no idea how they get their numbers; just the first link gogle gave me - may even be FAKE NEWS TM)

Of course, none of this should really have much baring in who gets to host the 2023 RWC - which should be Ireland or France on the principal that they have governmental support, whilst South Africa have governmental opposition.

Last edited:
Outside of Limerick Ireland is one of the safest countries around.

Personally I feel it should go
Ireland
Argentina
USA/Canada
SA
Germany or Spain or Italy

Considering Limerick is statistically safer than
Dublin (Where today is named Gangland central for Europe along with Amsterdam)
Belfast
Cork
And Galway over last 15 years then it a guaranteed bet.

Considering Limerick is statistically safer than
Dublin (Where today is named Gangland central for Europe along with Amsterdam)
Belfast
Cork
And Galway over last 15 years then it a guaranteed bet.

Don't believe everything in the Limerick Independent mate. (Also not selling Ireland as a safe place...)

Don't the GAA get a bit funny about hosting "Garrison Games" at their venues?
We wouldn't be applying if they weren't already on board. Wouldn't have a hope of bidding without them. The GAA did get froggy about the prospect of letting garrison sports into Croker, but that was overcome by a huge majority of voting members when England were welcomed in 2007. We've not had the need to use it since the Aviva was built, but they haven't been against the idea since, although there's certainly some dark elements within the GAA.
You will still find the odd potato head who hates rugby because of its coverage and it's recent popularity. You should have seen the comments from people when O'Driscoll said that realistically to be as good as New Zealand GAA would need to not exist which is a fair hypothetical comment on where most Irish people's priorities lie, which people took to mean he wanted the GAA abolished.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that statistics just don't work that way; they take national level frequencies into account, not personal experience of an individual.
Here's a direct comparison betwen crime levels in SA versus crime levels in Ireland
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Ireland&country2=South+Africa (no idea how they get their numbers; just the first link gogle gave me - may even be FAKE NEWS TM)

Of course, none of this should really have much baring in who gets to host the 2023 RWC - which should be Ireland or France on the principal that they have governmental support, whilst South Africa have governmental opposition.

That site doesn't even have all the towns in SA on it's list. So how accurate can it be?

As for Governmental opposition, as stated before, we have a new Sports Minister and it seems like our President dug his own grave last week, so things should be changing very soon...

Latest posts