• Ireland

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • France

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nah I will be married to a EU member by then, prob a Swedish model or something.

We still vet your kind don't wantbany shady guys with pasts coming in to Limerick.

What's interesting in RWC is Ireland will possibly only play 1 or 2 games in Dublin and 2 in Limerick Cork Belfast or Galway.

On Ireland bid I think a big plus is all teams can find a base and stay there regardless. Like from the Dublin/Kildare area you can drive anywhere within 2 or 3 hours.

Ermm Belfast is Northern Ireland not Ireland.

So if Ulster was in the AP, and Leicester in the Pro 12, how far up the table would they be?

Ha ha just realised the English need visas to come here for it ����
Hope ye all prepared to be vetted

And perhaps the Scottish and French will need visas to go to their pool games in Ulster, if things go that way.

Come to think of it, Scottish fans might need *both* visas.

Maybe Ireland isn't such a great choice of host after all. Best award it to South Africa!

Last edited:
Ireland, if for no other reason France held it too recently back in 2007.

Definitely Ireland, they'd do a grand job & I've always needed a proper excuse to visit, you certainly don't go there for the weather or cuisine.... but maybe the beer! :lol:

You guys can't just keep the World Cup for yourself there in the northern hemisphere. The World Cup should rotate. North, south , north, south. By the time the World Cup is held in Japan in would be the first time that it has not rotated and if it goes to Ireland in 2023 it would have stayed in the north for 3 straight editions.
It seems we also conceded te 2023 commonwealth games that was supposed to be held in Sa to Liverpool which made everyone here very disappointed.

Well. Let me jump in here on behalf of South Africa.

First of all, we have a new Sports Minister since last week Friday, so the chances are there that the moratorium our previous Minister invoked will no longer be an issue.

As for Stadiums:
After the successful hosting of the 2010 Fifa World Cup we have a lot of stadiums to use:
1. Soccer City - Soweto - Capacity: 95 000 - Hosted the Fifa World Cup Final and 2 SA vs NZ RC matches
2. Ellis Park - Johannesburg - Capacity: 63 000 - Hosted the 1995 RWC Final
3. Cape Town Stadium - Cape Town - Capacity: 55 000 - Current host of the 7's SA Circuit event
4. Newlands - Cape Town - Capacity: 51 000 - Home of the Stormers
5. Moses Mabhida Stadium - Durban - Capacity: 54 000 - Hosted FIFA Semi Final, AFCON Qualifiers and Even a Cricket T20 match between SA and India
6. Kings Park - Durban - Capacity: 52 000 - Home of the Sharks. Hosted the 1995 RWC Semi Final between SA and France
7. Loftus Versfeld - Pretoria - Capacity: 52 000 - Home of the Bulls. Also hosted pool matches during the RWC and FIFA WC.
8. Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium - Port Elizabeth - Capacity: 49 000 - Home of the Southern Kings
9. Peter Mokaba Stadium - Polokwane - Capacity: 42 000 - Hosts the Bulls for warm-up matches for the Super Rugby
10. Mbombela Stadium - Nelspruit - Capacity: 41 000 - Had a couple of International test matches between SA and Italy and Samoa
11. Free State Stadium - Bloemfontein - Capacity: 41 000 - Home of the Cheetahs
12. Orlando Stadium - Soweto - Capacity: 40 000 - Host of the 2010 Super Rugby final

I'm gonna stop there. As these are all major stadiums capable of hosting any RWC match and has in the past in some form been used by SA Rugby which makes me think that they will all be on the list.

South Africa should also be the no.1 Contender as France should not be allowed to get another RWC so soon after hosting the 2007 tournament. SA had their bid rejected in 2004 when they made a bid to host the 2011 WC as it was "too soon after hosting the previous WC". Add to that the fact that geographically, the 2015 & 2019 RWC will be held in the Northern Hemisphere. It would be unwise for WR to host 3 in a row, and would seriously make the SH powers that be a bit angry for being snubbed.

Ireland also have the problem of not having a 7's team or even competing in the 7's circuit. It makes their position with upcoming tier 2 and 3 nations who are competing less formidable as to countries like SA and France who are on the 7's circuit.

Doesn't South Africa have terrible crime? No offense, there's beautiful parts of South Africa no doubt, but out of all of the countries capable of hosting the RWC, South Africa is by far the most dangerous?

I'd really have apprehension going to South Africa.

Can we please stop calling Japan a NH location it's anything but. Argue it's not been to a Championship side in 2 iterations but please stop suggesting it's been in the NH for 2. It's simply not true in the way any of the 6 nations sides see it. Geographically it's technically true but as the 6 nations side are next to each other and all would have to travel from about as far Western Europe as you can get to ablut as far Eastern Asia you can get to suggest this is typical NH tournament is laughable.

Can we please stop calling Japan a NH location it's anything but. Argue it's not been to a Championship side in 2 iterations but please stop suggesting it's been in the NH for 2. It's simply not true in the way any of the 6 nations sides see it. Geographically it's technically true but as the 6 nations side are next to each other and all would have to travel from about as far Western Europe as you can get to ablut as far Eastern Asia you can get to suggest this is typical NH tournament is laughable.

Not a typical NH tournament but a NH tournament nonetheless. If you base your argument why it's not a NH tournament around the distance Europe is from Japan then I must notify you that we are even further away. Just because Japan is not part of the six nations does not make them a SH nation. It's literally in the NH I can't even see how you are trying to argue this.

Last edited:
Not a typical NH tournament but a NH tournament nonetheless. If you base your argument why it's not a NH tournament around the distance Europe is from Japan then I must notify you that we are even further away. Just because Japan is not part of the six nations does not make them a SH nation. It's literally in the NH I can't even see how you are trying to argue this.

Ireland have never hosted a tournament of this scale before (I think?), it'd be nice if they got it. After Japan, Ireland seems like a really appropriate destination for the tournament.

South Africa have hosted the tournament before in 1995 & also had the soccer/football world cup in 2010. After Ireland I wouldn't be against a South Africa bid for 2027, but preferably I'd like Argentina more, then Scotland 2031 & South Africa in 2035 then Italy 2039.

SA would be more of an option if the politics wasn't such a ****show.

End of the day it should be between Ireland and Italy IMO neither have held a RWC before and Ireland are the most likely to make money from it. Not sure what relevance 7's has does have a sevens team currently.

People calling Japan a NH nation despite it playing in a SH competition. Geographically it is NH but from a rugby POV it is basically a SH nation.

Last edited:
NH/SH is so 2007. Japan are pretty much a SH/SANZAR nation now and theres actually​ only 4 sh rugby nations... bloody hell. We can't keep rotating between that

It is more Europe/Rest of world.

On the main topic though I'm pretty neutral. I would have been in favour of France had they chosen some Spanish or Italian stadiums. But now don't really mind, either France or Ireland would be great successes. France could be good for the wider European game too, and the French union and game as a whole have been very good to wider Europe, so they deserve some plus points for that

Last edited:
Because it's a stupid argument in an attempt to say why it should go to a Championship nation next. Your implying somehow that it benefit the 6 nation sides over the Championship side when it clearly doesn't.

Like I say the argument is if it goes to Ireland/Italy it hasn't been to a Championship side in 3 iterations not anything to do with ******** geography. Look at this way would anyone be arguing it that if Argentina had hosted it before they join the tri-nations? Which would also very hard for any fans to get to.

It really should be SA.

Europe is too unstable and dangerous ATM. J'suis Charlie et al. How prime a target would a world cup tournament be! At least in SA its mostly localized opportunity crime or planned attacks against specific minority targets and if tourists refrain from visiting dangerous areas and don't plan on becoming isolated farmers or migrant workers from other African nations "stealing SA jobs" then no problem.

Precedent; if NZ can get a 2nd tournament for the sake of sentiment why not SA. At least here we'd make more money than 2011. Other traditional rugby nation have each hosted 2 even if in part. How typically Euro to say Euro vs rest of the world for alternating. IMO it should be traditional rugby nation vs new market alternating. Japan ticks the latter so the next established traditional rugby nation should be SA IMO since the rest have each hosted or partly hosted 2. Then US/Canada and then Italy/Argentina as established nations. Only after the Americas should Europe again see the RWC IMO. I can't see the SANZAAR nations get a 3rd TBH so in essence 2013 is SA's last chance.

Last edited:
NH/SH is so 2007. Japan are pretty much a SH/SANZAR nation now and theres actually​ only 4 sh rugby nations... bloody hell. We can't keep rotating between that

It is more Europe/Rest of world.

On the main topic though I'm pretty neutral. I would have been in favour of France had they chosen some Spanish or Italian stadiums. But now don't really mind, either France or Ireland would be great successes.

False!

SH Rugby nations:

South Africa
New Zealand
Australia
Argentina

Samoa
Fiji
Tonga
Namibia
Uruguay

All 9 of them have been in the last few RWC tournaments

Other SH rugby playing nations:

Kenya
Brazil
Zimbabwe
Papua New Guinea

And the rebuttle regarding Japan is a bit more intricate than what you NH fellows are suggesting. The main reason why it joined SANZAAR, (NOT SH), is because there were more opportunities for Japan Rugby, to compete at a high level against top opposition that is financially suitable. And here is travel one area that has to be mentioned, as NZ and Aus and the Pacific Islands are not that far from Japan as opposed to Central Europe and Great Britain.

Last time I Checked in an Atlas or on a globe or even Google Maps, there was an Equator and there were countries North and South of it determining if it is in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere.

Japan has winter in when the SH nations have summer. It doesn't get more simple than that to establish that Japan is a NH country. And to hammer on about Japan joining SANZAAR making it a SH nation is a moot point. They did that because the majority of the SANZAAR Nations are closer to Japan than the 6 Nations.

I didnt meant Europe/Rest of world for alternating world cups. That is the landscape of modern day rugby with the future calendar, you could even make a case that it's Home Nations/rest of world. As for the world cup, i think that they will scrap the outdated NH/SH model

It really should be SA.

Europe is too unstable and dangerous ATM. J'suis Charlie et al.

You have more chance of getting car jacked at the traffic lights in J-Berg than of anything serious happening in Ireland in 2027.

Really man, there's no way anyone can convince me that South Africa is a safer destination than Ireland.

Who is going to benefit from the RWC being in Japan?
NH nations who have nothing to do with Japan in a competition.

OR

SANZAR who have a Japanese team playing in their premier club competition. (despite it being clear to everyone else that they are not currently good enough) and SANZAR is the main body of SH rugby.

And from a location POV as you say it is closer to most SH rugby nations than NH rugby nations. So again SH rugby nations get more benefits from it.

You have more chance of getting car jacked at the traffic lights in J-Berg than of anything serious happening in Ireland in 2027.

Really man, there's no way anyone can convince me that South Africa is a safer destination than Ireland.

Yes, we have crime. We are after all a third world country. But every time we host a big even such as the Fifa World Cup, Cricket World Cup or Rugby World Cup, we step up. During the Fifa World Cup there was even an introduction of special courts hearing matters that happened at and around stadiums specifically to aid the tourists on the same day the offence occured.

Some areas are more dodgy than others. But then again, most residents of SA and travel agents who inform their overseas tourists visiting SA, not to visit those areas.

But ask yourself this, would it be better to be a victim of a petty crime such as theft of your wallet, or getting half of the stadium bombed by terrorists, having mass casualties and ultimately having to call off the tournament completely.

Who is going to benefit from the RWC being in Japan?
NH nations who have nothing to do with Japan in a competition.

OR

SANZAR who have a Japanese team playing in their premier club competition. (despite it being clear to everyone else that they are not currently good enough) and SANZAR is the main body of SH rugby.

And from a location POV as you say it is closer to most SH rugby nations than NH rugby nations. So again SH rugby nations get more benefits from it.

Who is going to benefit from having it in Japan??

Answer:
Japan and World Rugby.

Everyone else will be under the same scrutiny.

Latest posts