• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would the Super Rugbys best beat the NH best?

What about a dream team SR IX vs Best NH IX?

I'll give it a go off the top of my head (using 2015 SR teams and 2014/15 NH teams):

SR:
1) Woodcock
2) Coles
3) Franks
4) Retallick
5) Etzebeth
6) Kaino
7) Pocock/McCaw
8) Read
9) A. Smith
10) Cruden/Barrett
11) Savea
12) Nonu
13) C. Smith
14) B. Smith
15) Folau

NH
1) Healy
2) Brits (I'm sure I'm forgetting someone better)
3) Hayman/Cole
4) Launchbury/AWJ/Ali Williams
5) O'Connell
6) Lobbe/Dusautoir
7) Louw
8) Parisse
9) Murray
10) Sexton
11) Habana
12) Giteau
13) Joseph
14) North/Mitchell
15) Hogg/Halfpenny

S15 XV would probably shade it, but I think it'd be fairly close.

Exactly.

I also think the knowledge of NH rugby shown by SH fans compared to NH fans is a big tell....

Yep, I'd reluctantly agree with you on that one as far as I'm concerned anyway. I was watching a few NH games esp 6N games highlights and I was surprised at the quality esp the pace. For a Kiwi fan I felt more anxious than I was before heading towards the RWC.

Like you said before about NH fans knowledge regarding SH rugby is true after reading some of your fellow posters.

But having said that.....I reckon a SH super super dooper rugby team would easily beat the best NH team, why, I hear you ask? because ignorance is bliss and I'll take the 5th amendment :p

here we get loads SH as there is little rugby in the summer so a very good coverage and if i'm honest i watched the 1/4's, semis, and probably the final tomorrow but the week in week out stuff never there is just not enough forward pay to wet my appetite, if i'm entirely honest i watched the playoffs to see what Mogg White and Catrakilis were about as we have them alll in Montpellier this coming season.

I meant how much NH rugby can those in the SH watch.

I meant how much NH rugby can those in the SH watch.

It depends really. There are plenty of sites which stream live Premiership, Top 14 and Pro 12 matches + European trophies. I try to watch as much as I can.

In terms of what exposure the SH has to NH rugby on average, it's pretty little. You can pay for The Rugby Channel which offers a few games a week, but it's pretty expensive and most wont have it. As a general rule, even relatively informed rugby fans in New Zealand won't pay attention to NH rugby. It takes a fair bit of effort because of time zones etc to bother watching live games.

Exactly.

I also think the knowledge of NH rugby shown by SH fans compared to NH fans is a big tell....

On average sure. NH rugby is honestly not particularly highly regarded in New Zealand. That being said, I think there are quite a few in the NH who think their understanding of SH rugby is a lot better than it is..

I use to have The Rugby Channel where I would watch northern hemisphere matches and was quite happy to do so. But from what I remember, we stopped paying for it because they showed less and less of that, and the material we were receiving was not that different from the Sky Sport package. Happy to watch Six Nations highlights and even full matches though. Would I watch any of the other tournaments consistently though? Mostly likely not - but I'd tune in when I can.

No offence but you have no clue what you're talking about.

AB's kick more than any other team in international rugby, the entire ab game plan is about pressure in oppo half and counter attack.

The Tahs loss was down to the landers superior kicking game, they pinned that big Tahs pack back and made them play from deep - complete opposite to your description of the game.

That guff about NH fans being chuffed with a handful of great games is also tired old garbage.

What an ignorant thing to say buddy. People interpret the game of rugby in many different ways, to say one persons perception is wrong is utter narrow-mindedness. Thanks for giving and example of ONE game, notice I said 'tend to be' which would imply I wasn't speaking about every game of super rugby. Stop being so up your ass, thinking your opinion is superior to most others, bit of a joke mate. Love how you refer to most relevant points made as 'old garbage' because you're unable to provide a counter argument, nice one bud.

What an ignorant thing to say buddy.

Yeah, you level a bunch of stereotypical waffle at the "NH Game" yet i'm the ignorant one?

And in case you hadn't noticed i'm not your buddy.

People interpret the game of rugby in many different ways, to say one persons perception is wrong is utter narrow-mindedness.

Not really. The facts are as the facts are, the AB's don't "chance their arm" they kick, keep pressure on and then wait for the oppositions to make a mistake they can exploit, usually from counter attack ball. There is no "interpreting" that, it is what they do, it's well documented.

Thanks for giving and example of ONE game,

I didn't give the example you did, and a poor one at that, here it is again:.

LouisDavis; said:
In contrast, wins against the odds in SH tend to be due to an excellent display of skill and running rugby, Landers win vs Tahs at the weekend springs to mind.

I just pointed out that the Highlanders kicked the Tah's back and then put them under loads of pressure, it wasn't running rugby that won it for them, it was tactical pressure, attacking their scrum and lineout making it exhausting for the Tah's then running away with it late. Smith and Sopoaga frequently kicked into the corners, even within the Tah's half, Sopoaga even took a drop goal and missed another.

Look at Smith's try? Scrum pressure and then pressure on Phipps from Smith making Palu make a poor decision in going to Naiyaravoro on the slide behind.

The others were similar, pressure on turn their errors into scores.

notice I said 'tend to be' which would imply I wasn't speaking about every game of super rugby. Stop being so up your ass, thinking your opinion is superior to most others, bit of a joke mate.

lol!

Love how you refer to most relevant points made as 'old garbage' because you're unable to provide a counter argument, nice one bud.

You made no relevant points, you made random sweeping generalisations based on very little factual knowledge, don't get upset when you get called out on them.

Last edited:
What an ignorant thing to say buddy. People interpret the game of rugby in many different ways, to say one persons perception is wrong is utter narrow-mindedness. Thanks for giving and example of ONE game, notice I said 'tend to be' which would imply I wasn't speaking about every game of super rugby. Stop being so up your ass, thinking your opinion is superior to most others, bit of a joke mate. Love how you refer to most relevant points made as 'old garbage' because you're unable to provide a counter argument, nice one bud.

Welcome to TRF you'll get used to it bro.

Meh, no NH team is getting within 25 points of the Highlanders. Or Hurricanes. You take the overseas players out of the Northern teams. No chance home or away.

Even most of the international sides would struggle.

The Lions only shaded alot of the NPC sides in 2005. If they'd of played a decent super rugby side they'd of lost. And as I remember the Otago game well they cheated like buggery to put it mildly to even win that.

Meh, no NH team is getting within 25 points of the Highlanders. Or Hurricanes. You take the overseas players out of the Northern teams. No chance home or away.

Even most of the international sides would struggle.

The Lions only shaded alot of the NPC sides in 2005. If they'd of played a decent super rugby side they'd of lost. And as I remember the Otago game well they cheated like buggery to put it mildly to even win that.

Yep, have a look at how the Euro dudes are playing NOW.

S15 aint national. Don't get too cocky mate.

Personally I think our (NZ) fitness wins games when it matters but after watching NH teams during professionalism, they're putting the gas on.

NZ v ENG final

BTW, I've had a few beers when I wrote this (keyboard warrior)

Yep, have a look at how the Euro dudes are playing NOW.

S15 aint national. Don't get too cocky mate.

Personally I think our (NZ) fitness wins games when it matters but after watching NH teams during professionalism, they're putting the gas on.

NZ v ENG final

BTW, I've had a few beers when I wrote this (keyboard warrior)

I DID and all I saw was a bunch of Ex Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis dominating their finals. You take those players out of those teams and im telling you right now there is next to nothing left.

The French sides are obviously far worse than most though.

The fact is they can generally put good tight fives together but other than that they've got no hope of staying with top 7 super 15 teams.

Last edited:
I DID and all I saw was a bunch of Ex Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis dominating their finals. You take those players out of those teams and im telling you right now there is next to nothing left.

The French sides are obviously far worse than most though.

I've had one too many beers'ys mate. I just think that in England we'll have to win more than just a Super Rugby ***le.

No offence intended

You need to remember, when making direct comparisons between teams, that the SR franchises are not the SH equivalent of English or French teams - only the Celtic ones.

This only really applies to Toulon.

Top 14 Final was between Clermont and Stade. In their starting lineup, Clermont had no ex or current Springboks, Wallabies or ABs. Stade had 2: Morne Steyn and Heinke van der Merwe (who only has 4 caps anyway). So in the top 14 final 2 out of the 30 starting players were ex Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis.

The Premiership final was between Saracens and Bath. In their starting lineup, Saracens had only one ex or current Springbok, Wallaby or AB, Alistair Hargreaves (who also only has 4 caps). Bath had 1 also, Francois Louw. So, again, only 2 of the 30 starting players were ex Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis.

The Pro 12 final was between Glasgow and Munster. In their starting lineup, Munster had only one ex or current Springbok, Wallaby or AB, BJ Botha. Glasgow had none. So, only 1 out of 30 were ex or current Springboks, Wallabies or ABs.

Overall in the European domestic finals, 5 out of 90 starting spots went to ex Saffas, with no ex Aussies or New Zealanders even competing. Thats 5.6% of spots. Doesn't seem much like there was 'a bunch of Ex Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis dominating their finals.'

The only team that applies to is Toulon.

You need to remember, when making direct comparisons between teams, that the SR franchises are not the SH equivalent of English or French teams - only the Celtic ones.

Exactly. How many forwards in the Highlanders pack were picked as All Blacks. The English Scrum are a worry as far as I'm concerned as are their pace with turn overs.

Anyway, thank God I'm not a coach because I'm just a mere Legend

Last edited by a moderator:
This only really applies to Toulon.

Top 14 Final was between Clermont and Stade. In their starting lineup, Clermont had no ex or current Springboks, Wallabies or ABs. Stade had 2: Morne Steyn and Heinke van der Merwe (who only has 4 caps anyway). So in the top 14 final 2 out of the 30 starting players were ex Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis.

The Premiership final was between Saracens and Bath. In their starting lineup, Saracens had only one ex or current Springbok, Wallaby or AB, Alistair Hargreaves (who also only has 4 caps). Bath had 1 also, Francois Louw. So, again, only 2 of the 30 starting players were ex Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis.

The Pro 12 final was between Glasgow and Munster. In their starting lineup, Munster had only one ex or current Springbok, Wallaby or AB, BJ Botha. Glasgow had none. So, only 1 out of 30 were ex or current Springboks, Wallabies or ABs.

Overall in the European domestic finals, 5 out of 90 starting spots went to ex Saffas, with no ex Aussies or New Zealanders even competing. Thats 5.6% of spots. Doesn't seem much like there was 'a bunch of Ex Saffas, Aussies and Kiwis dominating their finals.'

The only team that applies to is Toulon.
Chess.jpg

Latest posts