• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 British and Irish Lions

Well yes, Kay was off form and Wilkinson was a wreck to name but 2 and as we all know the selection was hopeless.

On the Mike Phillips issue he has proved at this WC he can be world class, but he just has to carry on. But that stupid step just kills the go-forward for us most of the time! If you look at the last try we scored against Australia it came from Lloyd Williams upping the tempo with his refreshingly quick service, and that momentum took us 50 yards up the pitch to score. If Phillips had the ability to pass like Williams then you would have the best scrum half in the world. We'll see what playing in france will do for him, made Steven Jones a better player I know that.

Agreed, BOD is a terrific centre, but 34 is pretty old to be taking part in a full tour. I'm struggling to see any stand-out distributing 12s in the British and Irish line-ups currently, which is a bit worrying.

Roberts is fantastic, but both he and Tuilagi are effectively in the team as bull dozers. If the Lions want to unleash their back three (and why wouldn't they, they've got plenty of talent in that department) Roberts/Tuilagi would probably have to be put outside centre to give a little more speed down the line. Any suggestions?

There's always the possibility of putting a 10 at 12 but defensively it's always a bit of a risk (unless you have someone that tackles like Wilkinson)

It seemes to me the day of the distributing 12 is almost over - or at least, 12s who distribute first. They still need to be able to pass, but first and foremost they have to be able to handle their defensive channel and commit defenders. Which means increasingly, the jinky distributors and braintrust people find themselves at 13. Or at least, I can think of more who fit that description at 13 than at 12... So, logically, put Roberts/Tuilagi/Your crash centre of choice at 12; then open up 13 for players like BOD (if he still has it), Ansbro, Trinder if he makes it and so on.

Actually it's a fair point, I guess I focus on the fact that Tuilagi's a 13 because I'm English. Anyway, at this point (excluding BOD because it's unlikely, if not impossible) there's still no real talent present in the jinky distributors department, just some massive crash ball options.

Ansbro is a good player at club level, and sometimes stands out for Scotland, will be interesting to see if he makes the tour.

Early days yet, but good to see Cusiter starting and playing a full game, and a very good one at that against the Ospreys, getting MotM.

From a Scottish perspective, realistically Gray may end up being the only of ou guys going, but hopefully Cusiter and Ford can gain their past form and force their way into contention for the squad if not the team.

What are the six provincial sides that are going to be the warm up games? Can we expect the five super rugby teams and a lower tier Australian domestic club? Australia dosen't really have a proper club competition so I was intrigued when I saw the tour was supposed to feature six provincial games in addition to the three tests.

Does the BaaBaas match in Hong Kong count towards the "provincial" matches?

Does the BaaBaas match in Hong Kong count towards the "provincial" matches?

Nah, there'll be 6 provincial matches, 3 test matches, and the 1 Barbarians match, so 10 matches in total.

Maybe Aussie Barbarians?
Or the winner of the Chute Shield (or one of the other comps)

Early days yet, but good to see Cusiter starting and playing a full game, and a very good one at that against the Ospreys, getting MotM.

From a Scottish perspective, realistically Gray may end up being the only of ou guys going, but hopefully Cusiter and Ford can gain their past form and force their way into contention for the squad if not the team.

Barclay and Brown both have good chances of going, but the competition for back row places is tough at the minute, even Beattie if he can regain form, Gray is the most likely, Ford perhaps in the squad, in the backs one of the scrum halves if on form

and I wonder what the odds are on Scotland getting an outside back on the tour, Evans and Sean Lamont could possibly go

true fact: no Scottish outside back has got on a tour since 1997

lions squad 2013

how many england players are good enough to make lions squad? a lot of welsh boys are good enough. oz are a good team ,likely to get better and lions are due a series win. still a while a way, but should be a great tour

Possible 2013 team

15 Foden (Eng)
14 M Evans (Sco)
13 Tuilagi (Eng)
12 Roberts (Wal)
11 North (Wal)
10 Priestland (Wal)
9 Youngs (Eng)
8 O´Brian (Irl)
7 Warburton (Wal)
6 Croft (Eng)
5 Lawes (Eng)
4 Gray (Sco)
3 A Jones (Wal)
2 Hartley (Eng)
1 Healy (Irl)

1) Healy
2) Hartley
3) Jones
4) Lawes
5) Gray
6) O'Brian
7) Warburton
8) Heaslip
9) Youngs
10) Flood
11) North
12) Roberts
13) Tuilagi
14) Ashton
15) Foden

Dont know why Gray seems to getting picked ahead of AWJ? Not seen a single performance from him that would justify that selection. Also if Rees is fit I would expect him to start ahead of Hartley

1)Jenkins
2)Rees
3)A.Jones

This front row worked so well in the 2nd test last time and they won't be at the point of fat uselessness yet.

4)Gray/ Lawes forgot about him
5)AWJ/POC (Provided he keeps current form up)

Not sure about locks TBH,

The backrow options for this tour are immense i'll just list options
6)Ferris, SOB, Lydiate, Croft
7)Warbuton, Can't remember his name the guy at Saints
8) Faletau, Heslip, SOB

There are also the younger guys, that depends on development

9)Youngs(When he is on form very good but will need to mature a lot)
10) Preistland/Sexton

Other options here just most likely

12)Roberts
13) Haven't a clue Ansbro maybe, he complements Roberts best

11)North
14)Bowe
15)Foden

This is very lose just what I think based on current form mostly.

Last edited:
Dont know why Gray seems to getting picked ahead of AWJ? Not seen a single performance from him that would justify that selection. Also if Rees is fit I would expect him to start ahead of Hartley
This. He was amazing in the six nations but not the WC. At the minute, POC, AWJ and Charteris are the form locks, and they'd be in my current 23, but I think with such a long time to go yet, Lawes and Gray have a lot of time on their hands to force their way in. As far as Rees-Hartley goes, again, there's a lot of time before the Lions tour and I think Hartley will be looking to improve with every game, so it depends on how good he gets as to whether he can dismantle Rees from the XV.

Last edited:
This. He was amazing in the six nations but not the WC. At the minute, POC, AWJ and Charteris are the form locks, and they'd be in my current 23, but I think with such a long time to go yet, Lawes and Gray have a lot of time on their hands to force their way in.

Yeah, it seemed Gray was a little undercooked having been rested for the last few weeks of the Magners League season. It was the right call at the time, given how much rugby he had played that season, but in hindsight he should have started and played every minute of the two warm-ups and Romania game. Alas, it was not to be, hopefully he can push on but even at this stage I am a little apprehensive at playing both at the same time, Gray nor Lawes strike me as players who can control at the line-out, both are athletic sure enough, but you get what I mean.

I think Hartley will be looking to improve with every game
Literally every player in the world looks to improve with every game.
No one goes out and thinks "Well, I think I've peaked now, time to get worse"

Latest posts