• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 British and Irish Lions

Literally every player in the world looks to improve with every game.
No one goes out and thinks "Well, I think I've peaked now, time to get worse"

JonathanThomas_1256268.jpg

Granted, his peak was one game in 2003.

Does he really count as a rugby player though? :p
Think he's just a fake tan and hair spray enthusiast who fell in with the wrong crowd

Literally every player in the world looks to improve with every game.
No one goes out and thinks "Well, I think I've peaked now, time to get worse"
No, but age does play a factor. Physically, Hartley will start to approach his physical peak whereas Rees will move away from it. Hartley's also going to gain more experience as an international starting hooker, and will hopefully mature mentally too. Rees isn't going to get much better physically at this point. I'm not sure if Hartley will ever be as good as Rees, but he'll probably grow faster than Rees over the next few years.

Dont know why Gray seems to getting picked ahead of AWJ? Not seen a single performance from him that would justify that selection. Also if Rees is fit I would expect him to start ahead of Hartley

Gray was a star at the RWC. Will be better with a few more years of rugby. By 2013 he´ll be Scotland´s Parisse.

Agreed regarding Hartley. Lets see is Rees can return to the form of old. For now Hartley but surely not in 2013.

Strauss would start ahead of both of them given a couple years of international rugby

Well he can't get a couple of years of international rugby before the next Lions' tour. Physically impossible.

Nor is there any gurantee he'd get past Best/an emerging Sherry/a Leinster trained Cronin.

But then, there's no gurantee Hartley will be England's starting hooker in two years. He's not even England's starting hooker right now. Thompson could keep him out of the shirt for another two, I've no doubt that is what Thommo has every intention of doing. Or Joe Gray could overtake them both.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ken Owens has overtaken Rees at the Scarlets by 2013, and be Wales' no.1. I feel he's an excellent all round hooker with just experience holding him back at the moment. Excellent in the loose, top quality lineout throwing. I just hope he's given the chances he deserves, especially with Wales, because he's a much, much better player than Burns, and his linout throwing is better than Hibbard's.

Gray was a star at the RWC. Will be better with a few more years of rugby. By 2013 he´ll be Scotland´s Parisse.

Agreed regarding Hartley. Lets see is Rees can return to the form of old. For now Hartley but surely not in 2013.

Oh behave! he was not a "star" he did ok but nothing fantastic, he was part of a Scottish pack that almost got out muscled by Romania and an English 2nd row of Deacon and an out of sorts Lawes

Gray is a class player and at 6 10 he's a hard target to miss and ca actualy carry and do stuff unlike another 6 10 fella..

As of 7am this morning Richie Gray is the greatest lock in the world, anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

JonathanThomas_1256268.jpg

Granted, his peak was one game in 2003.
Mad that a player can have a career on the basis of one game!

I know what you're all thinking, don't bother trying to wind me up!!!

I see Richie Gray's move to Sale has excited someone...

1) Gethin Jenkins
2) Matthew Rees
3) Adam Jones/Dan Cole
4) Paul O'Connell(c)
5) Richie Gray
6) Adam Ferris
7) Sam Warbuton
8) Sean O'Brien
9) Mike Phillips
10) Jonathon Sexton
11) George North
12) Brian O'Driscol
13) Manu Tuilagi
14) Tommy Bowe
15) Rob Kearney

16) Dan Cole/Adam Jones
17) Cian Healy
18) Dylan Hartley
19) Courtney Laws
20) Ben Youngs
21) Johnny Wilkinson (i accept likely he wont be there)
22) Leigh Halfpenny/Jamie Roberts

I know I could get stick for including Johnny(i accept likely he wont be there) but he offers a lot week in and out for toulon although I would think Preistland will be ahead of him come the tour and also leaving out man of the series from the last tour but Manu will be the best 13 in world rugby by the end of this season and Brian O'Driscoll asks more questions then any other centre in rugby at the moment. Gethin Jenkins is the best prop in the world and has to be in plays like a full on back row, the rest of the tight five is a toss up but this is what I would have. If Warburton finds some form he is the 7 and you have to have O'Brien and Ferris to carry. Cant wait now though booked my flights this week roll on Brisbane!!

Last edited:
If attacking the game line is wanted

1) jenkins

2) hibbard (good carry's )
3) Adam Jones
4) Alun wyn Jones (captain) i think u need a leader in the second row to call line outs and keep players cool)
5) Richie Gray
6) Stephan Ferris
7) Sam Warburton
8) Denton

9) phillips

10) Hook

11) north

12) farrel

13) roberts

14) ashton

15) Halfpenny (kicking)

if u wanted to release the backs more and have a open game i would say

1) jenkins
2) best
3) Adam Jones
4) Alun wyn Jones (captain) i think u need a leader in the second row to call line outs and keep players cool)
5) Richie Gray
6) Lydiate (ryan jones depends on injury
7) Sam Warburton
8) Denton

9)phillips / L williams poss

10) sexton

11) north

12) roberts

13) earls / davis

14) halfpenny or ashton

15) kearney or halfpenny

Kicking game would be a bit risky i think but would be a good try with sexton high balls for the rest to chase and kearney at 15 as he is a better catcher

Latest posts