• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 British and Irish Lions

It was nice to see Farrell fall apart under a bit of pressure on sunday, that does not bode well for the lions...or england

The 1st Lions Squad will be made up of players who won't be involved in finals so heres my squad,theres obviously going to be a lot of welsh because their teams are not in any finals.

Jenkins
Hibbard
Jones
POC
Gray
Lydiate
Faletau
Warburton
Phillips
Farrell
North
Roberts
Davies
Maitland
Hogg

Vuniola Stevens Hartley ? AWJ Tipuric Murray Tuilagi ? Cuthbert Halfpenny

Front Row - May as well stick to what you know
2nd Row - Both starting players need international game time
Back Row - Lydiate needs games Warburton Captain got to start
HalfBacks - Phillips familiarity with the back row gives him the start Faz needs a big game to put pressure on Sexton for any chance of getting the Test 10
Centres - Both MT & BOD will have a rest from their finals
Maitland & Hogg to start so its not the entire welsh side. Hogg to cover FH​

The 1st Lions Squad will be made up of players who won't be involved in finals so heres my squad,theres obviously going to be a lot of welsh because their teams are not in any finals.

Jenkins
Hibbard
Jones
POC
Gray
Lydiate
Faletau
Warburton
Phillips
Farrell
North
Roberts
Davies
Maitland
Hogg

Vuniola Stevens Hartley ? AWJ Tipuric Murray Tuilagi ? Cuthbert Halfpenny

Front Row - May as well stick to what you know
2nd Row - Both starting players need international game time
Back Row - Lydiate needs games Warburton Captain got to start
HalfBacks - Phillips familiarity with the back row gives him the start Faz needs a big game to put pressure on Sexton for any chance of getting the Test 10
Centres - Both MT & BOD will have a rest from their finals
Maitland & Hogg to start so its not the entire welsh side. Hogg to cover FH​

I think thats pretty much spot on what we'll see, though I'd prefer Tuparic and AWJ starting, because I feel there is a high chance that the Lions could lose this game in comparison to Force, Rebels ect.

Just on point I'd hope if Hogg is being considered that he is given 40 mins at 10 here and not a scenario of thrown in at deep end

http://www.planetrugby.com/lions/story/0,25883,3819_8679837,00.html

Interesting...I really like that Andrew fellow quite a bit...
Article isn't brand new, but I only saw it now...

Interesting to see mentions of such "old" Lion prospects...I'd never have thought of Jonny for example before others started to...then only I realize "hell yeah, why not ?!" and then that semi-final against Farrell (who I think is being criticized a lot more than he should...poor guy, he's so young, give the lad some breathing space) really made it clear Wilko could at least legitimately be in the conv., AT LEAST.

Sheridan (strange name for a Frenchman really...) could offer some stability in that scrum (as if the Lions needed any on this tour..).
But it's interesting to see someone focus "locally"...like France or any other country, it's nice to see the concern and loyalty and commitment to his current situation. He's not some mercenary (not that he'd be going with the Lions anyway), he's a Toulon guy now (again, regardless of which club in particular, whether it were the Harlequins or some Italian team)...I find that remarkable, and very respectable.

Anyone seen this:

With Cian Healy preparing for the Amlin Challenge Cup final and Pro 12 final with Leinster over the next fortnight, and Gethin Jenkins a Heineken Cup final and Top 14 semi-final with Toulon, Sarries' progress to the Premiership final would have deprived Gatland of all three of his loose-head props.
But Mako Vunipola, as well as Saracens tight-head prop Matt Stevens, will now be available for the Lions' training camps in Wales this week and Ireland next week, although Gatland has also summoned an unnamed Welsh Under-20s loose-head to fill in as training cover this week.

Interesting choice to pick a random u20s prop as a temporary training stand in. Bet that bloke's chuffed to bits at the moment, awesome opportunity to train with a Lions squad as an u20 player!

Bit odd picking up a u20's prop would make more sense to have someone who would be called up. On Wilko I expect him to show up in Oz at some point during the tour possible after the first tour match.

Yeah, dont understand that u20s guy training at all.
Would've made more sense to have the next in line - presumably Paul James?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I think thats pretty much spot on what we'll see, though I'd prefer Tuparic and AWJ starting, because I feel there is a high chance that the Lions could lose this game in comparison to Force, Rebels ect.

Well, Warburton is tour captain, so to be honest I think we need to get used to the idea of Warburton being choosen ahead of Tipuric for the big games, even if we don't really agree with it.

Well, Warburton is tour captain, so to be honest I think we need to get used to the idea of Warburton being choosen ahead of Tipuric for the big games, even if we don't really agree with it.

While that is mostly my thinking on Warbuton I was actually thinking about having both.

Except he's playing for the Barbarians in the Lion's first match.

Doesn't change that if Healy or Jenkins get crocked next week he'll be lining up in the red rather than black and white!
This u20s kid doesn't even sound like he's in the Wales team, why's he training with the Lions? Obviously the kid will gain a lot, but how does it help the Lions training?

Doesn't change that if Healy or Jenkins get crocked next week he'll be lining up in the red rather than black and white!
This u20s kid doesn't even sound like he's in the Wales team, why's he training with the Lions? Obviously the kid will gain a lot, but how does it help the Lions training?

My only guess is it's to pick someone who realistically has no chance whatsoever of being called up as an injury replacement, to maybe not pile media attention on a potential 'next in line' replacement/put pressure on the existing loose heads in the squad while their away.

Maybe it's in order to realistically replicate the type of scrummaging props they'll be up against on tour? :run:

Maybe it's in order to realistically replicate the type of scrummaging props they'll be up against on tour? :run:
daafbdca40fc1fbb3601e5f244372438.gif

Maybe Gatland is being smart and this kids may have chance of being future international and this experience will do him wonders

I started this thread 2 years ago and completely forgot my team selection, crazy to think it now has over 45,000 views. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to compare a selection of teams from two years ago to the likely team now, here is mine 2 years ago with the changes being the edits:
1) Cian Healy
2) Dylan Hartley (edit. Richard Hibbard)
3) Adam Jones
4) Courtney Lawes (edit. POC)
5) Richie Gray
6) Sean O'Brien
7) Sam Warbuton
8) Jamie Heaslip (just)
9) Mike Phillips
10) Jonathon Sexton
11) George North
12) Jamie Roberts
13) Manu Tuilagi (BOD)
14) Chris Ashton (Alex Cuthbert)
15) Leigh Halfpenny

Somewhat pleased with my prediction, anybody else able to compare?

Latest posts