• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Test] Australia vs France (3rd Test)

I didn't mean that as in you, Conrad, didn't watch any Top 14. I meant "if one watches Top 14, then one understands how good the France players can be (within a well oiled machine").
As for you contributing on the T14 threads...err, well not really...would gladly see you more often but, just, not really...

And point 2: well the fact of the matter is, no, kiwis, Aussies and Saffas don't watch Top 14 Rugby. There's always the odd curious mind, like our very own stormer, but having all those players still hasn't made a considerable difference in those SH fans watching us. It's understandable, I guess...but I'm sure that'll change when Boudjellal buys out the entire All-Blacks squad. Kiwis will just HAVE to watch us then.

1- I could get more involved in Top 14, you're right but this particular year wasn't very good for me. Toulon had a good performance and Toulouse didn't, then it wasn't a good year of Top 14 for me. I hate Toulon.

2- If Boudjellal is going to buy All Blacks squad only bring more trouble to Les Bleus, because French players would have less place in Top 14, and then All Blacks Maori could be stronger than the few French players in Top 14.

so...

seems things are tracking well for France to win or cause major upset at the world cup next year? :D

Been interesting reading the Australian media since the France series. The feeling has very much been one of extremely cautious optimism, with most journos warning that our team still may not be able to match the mighty ABs. This line in particular summed it up:

... if the Wallabies were never stretched in defence, could it truthfully be said they were ever fully tested on attack? Again, would the All Blacks have allocated all their resources to stopping Skelton early in the second half in Sydney, leaving Folau utterly unattended? Probably not. It's hard to avoid, all this tedious benchmarking against the All Blacks. But they are the ultimate measure of any side. They're like the Borg in Star Trek, the ABs. You get one shot at them and one only before they adapt and evolve to neutralise whatever you're trying.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e-doubters-wrong/story-e6frg7v6-1226963142929

We are the All Black.
Prepare to lower your defenses and be annialated.
Any resistance, bringing on subs early or directing foul play at McCaw is futile.

It doesn't matter how big "the gap" is.
All that matters is that the gap exists.
Have nice day.

I don't think Australia will beat NZ in the upcoming Bledisloes. Well, Bledisloe 3 seems to always get the best out of Aus, but at least in TRC, I don't see it happening. Their forwards are playing well and their backline is sharp, but this is the worst team in Tier 1 atm they've played (France), a team with no structure or direction. I really wouldn't make anything out of the 50 they dropped in the first test. Like, they're good, and they have indeed won 7 in a row, but this test series against France meant very little.

Sour grapes mate? I think this is our best shot in years.

on the evidence against the French the Aussies were made to look good as the French were mierable, against the All Blacks its another story but by all means be confident just be brave when it all goes TI*S UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as far as sour grapes goes we knew we were on a hiding to nothing before we even left France, only sour grapes are the ones you put into your glorified alcoholic fruit juice!!!!! over here we call it wine!!!!!!!!

I have no sentiment whatsoever in this series but I can say the Aus team is much better than previous years, observed in the S15 and this series they will be no walkover

Sour grapes mate? I think this is our best shot in years.

lol, you're new here. Welcome, Guilty !..

And objectively, no, as much as I'd like to see it I don't think the Wallabies can beat the All-Blacks at all this year.

on the evidence against the French the Aussies were made to look good as the French were mierable, against the All Blacks its another story but by all means be confident just be brave when it all goes TI*S UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as far as sour grapes goes we knew we were on a hiding to nothing before we even left France, only sour grapes are the ones you put into your glorified alcoholic fruit juice!!!!! over here we call it wine!!!!!!!!

Wait, so you mean to say that in France when you make "sour-grape fruit juice" you call it wine? Wow... I guess your wine making standards are as low as your rugby playing standards :p . But now that we've taught you how to play rugby, you're welcome to visit the Barossa Valley in South Australia, where they can teach you how to make actual wine ;):p.

Ok, I've had my fun now :lol:.

lol, you're new here. Welcome, Guilty !..

And objectively, no, as much as I'd like to see it I don't think the Wallabies can beat the All-Blacks at all this year.

Thanks mate. My post was a little tongue in cheek..

The AB's will be the favorites and rightfully so however for the first time since 2011 there is a sense of cautious optimism in Australia that I think is justified. Not saying that we will win the RC but rather this is our best chance in years.

The France series was promising but it isn't the main reason behind the optimism - at least for me.

My top reasons:

1) We have a healthy front row with some decent experience and some great young locks performing at a high level. Our tight five has been our weakness for the past decade which we FINALLY seem to be addressing. Our forwards need to be able to generate some go forward ball for our back line, which is why we have lost in recent years.

2) A dominant Tahs side. Whether you like it or not the Waratahs make up the bulk of the Wallabies. I've always felt it boded poorly for the Wallabies with the Tahs under performing in previous years. Watch for AAC to take over the starting 13 spot as the RC gets closer.

3) Some in-form depth as evident by 3 Aussie super teams pushing for the finals. I actually think both the Force and the Brumbies are going to miss out this year but a non injury ravaged Brumbies team is a top 4 Super XV side. The Force are continuing to improve and have a number of future Wallabies.

4) The France series. You can only play the opposition in front of you and you could not hope for a better start.

Again, I'm not saying that we will win the series but we are a side on the rise. I think we beat the AB's at least once in the RC.

Last edited:
Wait, so you mean to say that in France when you make "sour-grape fruit juice" you call it wine? Wow... I guess your wine making standards are as low as your rugby playing standards :p . But now that we've taught you how to play rugby, you're welcome to visit the Barossa Valley in South Australia, where they can teach you how to make actual wine ;):p.

Ok, I've had my fun now :lol:.

You've got to be kidding me...really ?? wow. So many smilies and needless passion in there...quite the post.

And Guilty: yeah the Waratahs are like the Crusaders or Sharks or Leinster right, they're the bulk of their national side. I was looking at the SR table, and their points difference figure was very impressive. But however well some club's doing, and whatever relevance it has to the national side, the Wallabies just beat the worst France side we've ever seen. I mean seriously, you've seen the matches, you've seen how France play. You've seen that defense in the first test. The biggest mistake a Wallaby fan can make right now is thinking there's a considerable significance to that last series. France were nowhere to be found in 1 trying out a new defensive system that went disastrously, kept the Wallabies try-less in 2 and lost by 6, and then took another pounding I didn't even watch in 3.

Only things I take out of this that are substantial: Skelton is powerful, Foley's pretty good, Hooper's on form.
Even the scrum, a big positive for Aus this tour, I would be reluctant to commenting on. Domingo and Mas have been unrecognizable for the past few months, and Mas didn't even play in the third he was so exhausted.

I like the Wallabies so I hope they can beat some teams in TRC, but fans might get a pretty pungent wakeup call in about a month.

Latest posts