• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: South Africa vs. France (3rd Test) (24/06/2017)

@TRF_heineken - That's a really useful summary and accords with my own thoughts on the series, albeit without the specific detail of the players in contention.

I only get to view the SA teams in Super Rugby - the Currie Cup is occasionally televised - and thus I'm yet to see enough of PSdT, Loot de Jäger and Skosan to offer an opinion, other than the latter looks about 10Kg too light to make a defensive difference.

Yip. Combrinck in, Rhule out. Rhule doesn't offer enough on attack to make up for his poor defense; 3/8 on the weekend. He also doesn't offer the extra fullback cover and that monster boot Combrinck does. I also think we can do better than Skosan. Test rugby isn't SR and the Bok wingers see less ball in space than the Lions do in SR. Mvovo for me please. The guy has the experience, can do more in less space and has additional skills. That or a beast of a winger who can bust tackles and off load like playing one of Rohan Janse van Rensburg or De Allende at wing. TBH I think De Allende has played some of his best rugby on the wing.

Also Kitshoff to start and Mtawarira to retire. The last game really hammered that home if AC couldn't see what everyone was on about. For instance in 1/3 the time Kitshoff made 19m off 4 runs while Mtawrira could not make a single meter off 3 'runs'. Not even an offload for Mtawarira while Kitshoff racked up 1 clean break, 2 defenders beaten and an offload. He was also close to helping Andries Coetzee make it to the try line whereas Coetzee probably wouldn't have had a shot without. If Hougaard could've kept hold of what was a fair offload from Kitshoff that would've probably been a try right there. Its not as if Mtawarira adds more in defense or at scrum time either. Time to move on. If skinf color is the issue then rather bring in Nche, Nyakane and Gcoboka- whomever looks in better form.

Yip. Combrinck in, Rhule out. Rhule doesn't offer enough on attack to make up for his poor defense; 3/8 on the weekend. He also doesn't offer the extra fullback cover and that monster boot Combrinck does. I also think we can do better than Skosan. Test rugby isn't SR and the Bok wingers see less ball in space than the Lions do in SR. Mvovo for me please. The guy has the experience, can do more in less space and has additional skills. That or a beast of a winger who can bust tackles and off load like playing one of Rohan Janse van Rensburg or De Allende at wing. TBH I think De Allende has played some of his best rugby on the wing.

Also Kitshoff to start and Mtawarira to retire. The last game really hammered that home if AC couldn't see what everyone was on about. For instance in 1/3 the time Kitshoff made 19m off 4 runs while Mtawrira could not make a single meter off 3 'runs'. Not even an offload for Mtawarira while Kitshoff racked up 1 clean break, 2 defenders beaten and an offload. He was also close to helping Andries Coetzee make it to the try line whereas Coetzee probably wouldn't have had a shot without. If Hougaard could've kept hold of what was a fair offload from Kitshoff that would've probably been a try right there. Its not as if Mtawarira adds more in defense or at scrum time either. Time to move on. If skinf color is the issue then rather bring in Nche, Nyakane and Gcoboka- whomever looks in better form.

Man, if Rohan or De Allende could return with some form, our backline would be even more potent. I would even use Kriel and Combrink on the wings and have one of the others link with Serfontein...

But I wonder what is the long term plan with regard to the wings. I honestly think that Jamba Ulengo and Seabelo Senatla are the long term prospects. Ulengo is nursing an injury, which will keep him out for a couple of weeks, but should be ready for the RC. And the upcoming Super Rugby matches should be used to give Senatla as much game time as possible. In the SA A game, he looked so frustrated with himself, but what I liked was that he's still hungry and looking for work.

Latest posts