• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: South Africa vs. France (3rd Test) (24/06/2017)

I see Combrinck has been released to play for the Golden Lions against the Bulls. Not even for SA 'A'. Might be Ackermann is weakening the SA 'A' side for the benefit of his union LOL. Cheeky *******. And its WP and (surprise, surprise) the Lions' opponents for the weekend that is footing that bill and having to give up Senatla and Gelant.

Pity AC hasn't drafted him in for the test side. I really do feel he adds value but I suppose Rhule has doen 'well enough' and the Bokke need (according to the powers that be) to have the 'right' pigmentation.

Given that the full squad is relatively new and the coach is trying to identify the right combinations, does this suggest that the 'A' squad is even greener? Who are the players in that squad to watch and will some of your U20s have been looked at in Georgia?

Given that the full squad is relatively new and the coach is trying to identify the right combinations, does this suggest that the 'A' squad is even greener? Who are the players in that squad to watch and will some of your U20s have been looked at in Georgia?

Jean-luc Du Preez, very much a rising star in SA rugby and one of the stand-out performers of the Super Rugby season. He actually has a twin brother who plays 8 for the Sharks as well, but Dan du Preez is slightly less talented I'd say.
Very exciting player with hopefully a long career ahead of him, still needs to perform consistently for a few seasons before I go all out fan-girl. We've had players before who've had one good season and then kind of fizzled out.

Well I think it's too early too make the call that Jean-Luc is more talented. Dan was injured for large parts of last year and this season. His brother Jean-Luc just got more playing time and was picked for the EOTY tour while his brother was still injured. They are on record saying that if the one sees the other perform it gives them more motivation. Physically they are almost identical. So I see no reason why Dan can't also be called up if he performs well in the final part of Super rugby. The only thing that's going to stop Dan du Preez from becoming a Springbok is injury.

I see Combrinck has been released to play for the Golden Lions against the Bulls. Not even for SA 'A'. Might be Ackermann is weakening the SA 'A' side for the benefit of his union LOL. Cheeky *******. And its WP and (surprise, surprise) the Lions' opponents for the weekend that is footing that bill and having to give up Senatla and Gelant.

Pity AC hasn't drafted him in for the test side. I really do feel he adds value but I suppose Rhule has doen 'well enough' and the Bokke need (according to the powers that be) to have the 'right' pigmentation.

Geez, a bit judgemental?

Ackermann said even before he chose the squad, that each player in the squad will get a chance to play in either of the matches. Warwick Gelant for example, get a start, who was on the bench last week for the A side.

But I think this needs to be addressed in the A side's match thread...

The sa a squad is pretty much the same as the England squad touring Argentina now. Made up of a bunch of fringe players with lots of potential and a few hardened Springboks such as Mvovo and Pollard.
As for the u20 s The standouts for me was
1. Juarno Augustus but he needs to play more Super rugby before being considered . Otherwise I think this guy is freakishly made for rugby.
2. Curwin Bosch should become a Springbok within 2 years in a conservative estimation.
3. That one wing for the baby boks was excellent but can't remember his name.

Well I think it's too early too make the call that Jean-Luc is more talented. Dan was injured for large parts of last year and this season. His brother Jean-Luc just got more playing time and was picked for the EOTY tour while his brother was still injured. They are on record saying that if the one sees the other perform it gives them more motivation. Physically they are almost identical. So I see no reason why Dan can't also be called up if he performs well in the final part of Super rugby. The only thing that's going to stop Dan du Preez from becoming a Springbok is injury.
You might be right, but physically identical isn't everything. In the end, you don't know if one maybe worked harder, or might just be more talented in general.
Dan is definitely a talent and a good prospect, but Jean-luc is a freak, it's rare for any player to have such a huge impact at 21 in Super Rugby, and he's arguably been the best blind-side flank in the competition. I think I did a stats comparison against the bigs boys like Cane and Todd and he came out very favourably (So did Kolisi for the record).

I've heard Jean-luc has always been the slightly better brother, he did get called up to the Junior Bokke a year earlier, and then when they both got called up Jean-luc was a starter while Dan played off the bench.

Also empirically Jean-luc seems better, a more explosive ball-carrier with the ability to off-load while Dan seems slightly more pedestrian.

Nothing would please me more if we had two monsters coming through, however - they are both still 21 in any case so there is lots of room for development.

I think their older brother Rob has every chance of being a Springbok one day as well so we could see three of them in the Bokke at some point.

The sa a squad is pretty much the same as the England squad touring Argentina now. Made up of a bunch of fringe players with lots of potential and a few hardened Springboks such as Mvovo and Pollard.
As for the u20 s The standouts for me was
1. Juarno Augustus but he needs to play more Super rugby before being considered . Otherwise I think this guy is freakishly made for rugby.
2. Curwin Bosch should become a Springbok within 2 years in a conservative estimation.
3. That one wing for the baby boks was excellent but can't remember his name.
The wing is probably Gianni Lombard as he's the one who stood out for me. I also thought Damian Willemse was alright, but I'm not sure how much game time he's going to get in the near future, the forward pack with the exception of Augustus was pretty average.

Not the best u20 side we've ever had, but there looked to be some talent in the back-line, I thought the scum-half Embrose Papier was pretty good too, good enough to find a union anyway.

Last edited:
I was really impressed by the hooker last week vs. France. Can't remember his name but he was very mobile, great in the loose and carried well into contact. Is he a newbie too? He looked young.
You were looking at Bismarck du Plessis' successor Malcolm Marx. He's going to be even better than Bismarck.

You were looking at Bismarck du Plessis' successor Malcolm Marx. He's going to be even better than Bismarck.

The most impressive thing about his performance was that he was up against an experienced and physical French front row and he didn't look out of place.

The most impressive thing about his performance was that he was up against an experienced and physical French front row and he didn't look out of place.
Yes and he is only 22, if he stays injury free he will have a big future ahead of him.

Bok team announced and added to the OP.

Only Dreyer in at 3 and Hougie starting the changes to the starting XV.

Apart from the injury enforced change of Jean-luc starting, which everyone predicted.

Combrinck had bad body language and a terrible performance in that great Italian victory last year*, I think he and Faf could be on the naughty step with AC, but this is wild speculation.

*sorry, I have to enjoy it while i can because it will be a distant memory when your lot rip apart Italy in this years EOYT.

Combrinck had bad body language and a terrible performance in that great Italian victory last year*, I think he and Faf could be on the naughty step with AC, but this is wild speculation.

*sorry, I have to enjoy it while i can because it will be a distant memory when your lot rip apart Italy in this years EOYT.

That did play in my mind but there were so many players who just looked out of place for no apparent reason not least Jantjies who are now seemingly entrenched. While Combrinck is coming back from injury he did rip the Bulls to shreds in SR in his first game back. I would've thought that'd be enough seeing as other players made the squad despite recent injury moe recent than Combrincks. But like you say all we have is speculation.

You must revel in your victories like you say. Hopefully (for us) its the last one in a good while. SA has been very generous as a 'top' team the last few years. I think there isn't a Bok supporter anymore who is expecting a win as default against everyone other than NZ.

Team looks predictable enough.

Is Malherbe injured? Or maybe just rested. Dreyer should go well at home in any case.

Keen on the bench getting a run as well (apart from Paige). Our bench and altitude to see us home. I hope.

I'm also hoping Pollard gets a good run for the SA 'A' side. Frans Steyn is no long term 10/back-up 10 and its too early for Bosch and CJ Stander broke Lambie.

Team looks predictable enough.

Is Malherbe injured? Or maybe just rested. Dreyer should go well at home in any case.

Keen on the bench getting a run as well (apart from Paige). Our bench and altitude to see us home. I hope.

I'm also hoping Pollard gets a good run for the SA 'A' side. Frans Steyn is no long term 10/back-up 10 and its too early for Bosch and CJ Stander broke Lambie.

I think they're just resting Frans, because it didn't look like he had an injury in the Durban game, and nothing was reported with regards to the injury front. Maybe AC just wanted to give Dreyer the fair run he deserves as he has been immense the past 3 seasons in the tighthead position.

Hoping for a good game today... a strong South Africa and France are good for the game. France have been on the up in since Guy Noves came in, and SA have seemed better than last year so far.

An early lead for the Boks. Not what this game needed. I just think France are being simply outplayed.

They seem to defend too wide. It shuts out the Boks wingers a bit but they concede so much territory up the middle.

Hoping for improvement from them to make this a contest.

Latest posts