• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Wales (26/09/2015)

As a Welsh fan I would rather Lloyd Williams start he is similar to Webb in style and delivery of pass, with Spikey on the bench to close the game down in the last 10 to 15 mins.
You are probably right about Tips as a centre from a defensive point of view, although he is a quick learner and I would put nothing beyond his capabilities, will be gutted if he doesn't start on Saturday, he is the one player England fear most.

Our biggest weakness is the breakdown and I would prefer you played Lydiate ahead of Tipuric. I would be amazed however if Gatland doesn't start with both Warburton & Tipuric even though his class favourite is Lydiate.

Dan Roan from the BBC is saying JJ could be ruled out of the game after taking a knock to the chest against Fiji.

We know everything about Phillips & not much about Davies therefore I would prefer if you picked Phillips. He's lost a yard of pace and also he's easy to get at which is his biggest weakness in my book.

I agree about Phillips, I can't see him starting, if so it's a massive kick in the teeth to Davies and Lloyd williams as they were retained in the final squad. Where as Phillips wasn't. I think Phillips will be on the bench and come in very handy to close the game out. From an attacking point of view this could be a big game for Davies if he is allowed freedom to snipe and has support on his shoulders

Dan Roan from the BBC is saying JJ could be ruled out of the game after taking a knock to the chest against Fiji.

I really hope this is a wind up!

Slade is not a like for like replacement however more than capable at filling in at 13.

However have a horrible feeling SL (under some influence from Farrell Snr) would bottle it in this situation and pick Barritt at 13. Heaven forbid!

Slade is not a like for like replacement however more than capable at filling in at 13.

However have a horrible feeling SL (under some influence from Farrell Snr) would bottle it in this situation and pick Barritt at 13. Heaven forbid!

Farrell at 12 and Barritt at 13.....

I actually think Wales will win this game.

We saw an injury-ravaged England team perform at Wales in the 6N so Wales should take heart from that.

I also don't think there is much of a step-down with Biggar kicking.

The key as always will be in the forwards. Warbs and Tips will need to have outstanding performances and be the first to each breakdown because I don't rate the English back row.

However, England will perform much better this weekend so it would be a huge achievement for Wales.

Although the idea of Barritt at 13 should fill me with dread, his showing there last time was very decent.
To be honest I'm less worried about him at 13, than the fact that we'd have to find someone else to play at 12!

I would find that funny if it wasn't a for the fact that it is a real possibility!

On the plus side I guess it's a week off for May & Watson in the attacking drills!

It is a very real possibility, but the performance of our pack is the big worry. The Welsh back row is on paper better than ours and Cole is completely out of sorts.

Our biggest weakness is the breakdown and I would prefer you played Lydiate ahead of Tipuric. I would be amazed however if Gatland doesn't start with both Warburton & Tipuric even though his class favourite is Lydiate.

I'm sure you and most of England would rather Tips didn't start, my big fear is he won't, mind you sad as it is to hear of any player from whichever nation injured, it would help our cause should the rumours about Joseph not being fit be true.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a very real possibility, but the performance of our pack is the big worry. The Welsh back row is on paper better than ours and Cole is completely out of sorts.

Going back to the 6 nations I thought Cole was immense, what has led to this downturn in form or is he infact saving himself for bigger fish.

I'm sure you and most of England would rather Tips didn't start, my big fear is he won't, mind you sad as it is to hear of any player from whichever nation injured, it would help our cause should the rumours about Joseph not being fit be true.

But Joseph would probably only be the 4th choice 13 if he was Welsh, no? Not much to fear.

I don't no about on paper but I do think we are better in the back row on grass.

Although the idea of Barritt at 13 should fill me with dread, his showing there last time was very decent.
To be honest I'm less worried about him at 13, than the fact that we'd have to find someone else to play at 12!

Barritt's tackle count was too high for a 13 that day but because of one technically poor tackle he stole the headlines. He did nothing to worry the Aussies offensively. In fact he did nothing throughout the Autumn of any note apart from the above at 13 in my opinion.

His centre partnership with Farrell at 12 in the Fiji game was a disaster!

ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1442925293.553609.jpg

But Joseph would probably only be the 4th choice 13 if he was Welsh, no? Not much to fear.

I doubt that.
He would be as good as Scott Williams at their best there may be nothing to choose between Williams and Joseph, Joseph would be better than any other option ie Tyler Morgan and after him we would probably looking at any centre with a pair of boots thats how thin we are in certain positions.
The major difference between Wales and England at the moment is if we had everybody fit and so did England there would not be much between us, however scratch beneath the surface and as an example our 3rd team V Englands 3rd team we would be 35 to 50 points worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's see on Saturday

I am just talking 3 against 3, sadly on Saturday it starts with 15 v 15.

I doubt that.
He would be as good as Scott Williams at their best there may be nothing to choose between Williams and Joseph, Joseph would be better than any other option ie Tyler Morgan and after him we would probably looking at any centre with a pair of boots thats how thin we are in certain positions.
The major difference between Wales and England at the moment is if we had everybody fit and so did England there would not be much between us, however scratch beneath the surface and as an example our 3rd team V Englands 3rd team we would be 35 to 50 points worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't Scott Williams an inside centre & the only reason he's playing 13 is because of injuries?

I really rate him highly at 12 though. Him & Joseph will make for a brilliant Lions centre partnership in New Zealand. You heard it here first!

I doubt that.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends how they are used and the game plan. If the England trio tried to play like the Welsh one then yes of course you would be correct but it's not how the England pack play, to be honest I am starting to wonder what the game plan is.....

Latest posts