• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Wales (26/09/2015)

I think same squad but Farrell and maybe Wiggy to start.

I don't see why Sam would displace Barritt tbh. Tactically or in terms of form.

I've not read every reply on the thread but can anyone offer some insight into why the English front 5 are malfunctioning so drastically it seems?

Here's my 2p.

Youngs could do with some hooking practice from the Japanese #2 who in comparison actually hooked the ball with the result being the ball came back quickly. Youngs seems to rely on the scrum being pushed enough to just walk over the ball. He seemed to be getting separated from his props too in the scrum. The scrum isn't just about the front 3, I want to see Launchbury start as among his other talents he's the only tight head lock that Lancaster seems likely to pick. We seem to have gone all Australia in our forwards selections favoring mobile guys over those who are there to do a job primarily in the set piece. To Locks are there for the scrum, lineout, to hit rucks, carry and maul anything beyond that is a bonus.

Cole looked very ineffective in the scrum on Friday but surely you can't go from being a prop of his standard to utter dog turd in 6 months, which leads me to believe the issue on Friday was the lack grunt behind him in the scrum.

Lawes makes these blockbuster tackles and is a real athlete but don't think there's room for him with another so called lightweight.

In summary we've got a few deficiencies in the scrum and and don't think England can afford to live with them all if they want to progress.

On to this game as someone previously said if Wales can win this given their injury issues they deserve to progress, apparently they'll have 20K supporters there for the game.

I don't expect Lancaster will make too many changes. I rate Ben Morgan and was glad after the Ireland game to see him at what looked back in form, but the Fiji game was the worst I'd seen him play. He was a right wuss IMO at times we just needed him to take it into contact (along with others) but he seemed either scared or unwilling to do so-or perhaps not as fit or sharp as I'd hopped? Fiji's line speed in defense I found mighty impressive. I'd start Billy Vunipola over Morgan for Wales. I could cry about how our back row is unbalanced and the best alternatives weren't picked for the squad but the reality is to me Haskell hasn't really took his chance when it's been given and Wood seems to be in decent form.

I'd agree you can't really throw a 2 cap young hooker into this type of pressure game, but I'd have him on the bench if things go pear shaped.

Barritt although much maligned it seems is generally solid but had a shocker against Fiji. When on form I've never seen him as a carrier Which we need at 12 IMO, Burgess is in the the same boat as George with the obvious lack of experience raising more concerns but his direct running was good. Think he'll continue to be an impact sub.

I've never been a huge Farrell fan I think he's a good if limited player when on form but I reckon the Fiji game was far more suited to his skill set.

Back 3 were good generally (Brown having a stormer) but generally the backs need to be less lateral, they just seemed to be shipping the ball out wide for no particular reason.

Ben Youngs was turd IMO I thought Wigglesworth was far more composed.

Re Tips at centre, should he ever be drafted as an emergency centre I would put money on it that he would be good, better than Burgess for England and probably better than Cory Allen.

Re Tips at centre, should he ever be drafted as an emergency centre I would put money on it that he would be good, better than Burgess for England and probably better than Cory Allen.

Don't make any other bets this World Cup then, I don't think you've got an eye for it!

To be fair to you, it's not as crazy as people think.

Richie Vernon took a season to turn into a quality centre (not the worlds best but put in some big performances in the warm up games). Burgess has only been in the game so long as might still not have the understanding Tips has. Having said this, Burgess has been training with the backs for months. Tips has certainly not.

Better than Cory Allen? I doubt it. I think he'd have a few glaring weaknesses in centre (all flankers who ever made that transition did at the start) and teams would play to this. Tackling in the centre of the park as a flanker is very different to being a back. Also the necessity to drop back occasionally and the timing of this just isn't a park of Tips' game.

I can see the argument for Wigglesworth.

Either Youngs wasn't sticking to the game plan v Fiji & not testing the fringe defence (what he excels at) or it wasn't the game plan at all because he didn't do it at all on Saturday.

If not part of the game plan then Wigglesworth is our man as he has the best distribution of our scrum halves. He is also the best box kicker and his 'point of difference' is that he has a left peg which will come in handy especially when taking a bit of the responsibility away from the flyhalf.

But why replace Ford? I have seen nothing to suggest Ford should be even close to being dropped or anything to suggest Farrell has earnt the shirt back.

Lastly I can think of quite a few reasons to drop Barritt for Burgess. Barritt's greatest asset is his dependability. Well on Saturday he was anything but. His 'point of difference' is his tackling and defensive communication. Joseph was the backs defence leader at Bath which fir me means his place is under serious threat.

The issue with Burgess is his lack of positional awareness but I think it is worth the risk as having Barritt butcher another backs move with his lack of core passing skills is a greater one for me.

In reality however I don't think any of the above will materialise. SL & co will stick with a winning team which has a lot of merit coming up against a Wales team that hasn't played together for a month.

They are pretty similar players. At the very least Burgess is on par defensively and he is better with ball in hand. Barritt's ball playing ability is dreadful for a test centre.

It's not going to happen, as must as I think he'd be good in attack there, his defence would be suspect, a lot harder to tackle someone on outside with all that space than it is in the tight where his defence is outstanding. In an emergency north will be switched to centre with someone from the bench covering the wing. But in order for that to happen one of s.williams or roberts would have to be injured AND Tyler morgan injured. Then if north happened to get injured, then god knows what would happen. But there is no chance of tips playing there, best we can hope is that lydiate or warburton make way for him to start.

On Another note, would you english fans fear Mike Phillips or Gareth Davies playing at scrum half this weekend?

It's not going to happen, as must as I think he'd be good in attack there, his defence would be suspect, a lot harder to tackle someone on outside with all that space than it is in the tight where his defence is outstanding. In an emergency north will be switched to centre with someone from the bench covering the wing. But in order for that to happen one of s.williams or roberts would have to be injured AND Tyler morgan injured. Then if north happened to get injured, then god knows what would happen. But there is no chance of tips playing there, best we can hope is that lydiate or warburton make way for him to start.

On Another note, would you english fans fear Mike Phillips or Gareth Davies playing at scrum half this weekend?

Fear? No, but Davies is the better player in my opinion.

Youngs could do with some hooking practice from the Japanese #2 who in comparison actually hooked the ball with the result being the ball came back quickly.
This could probably be said of every on of the 37 hooker's both first & second choice in the entire tournament.
Brian_Moore said:
Leaving aside the mental and physical bravery of the Japanese, the technical skill and refusal to panic, under the severest pressure, was even more impressive. South Africa were off the pace but do not accept that they played badly and gave the game away. They were undone by superior fitness and the inventiveness of the Japanese who for large parts of the game neutralised the Springboks physical advantages of height and weight.

In particular the Japan team demonstrated what many involved in today's game have said is impossible. A smaller, less powerful scrum held steady enough for the ball to be hooked quickly and to restart play. The impossibility claim has always been false and is parroted because many do not want to learn the skill of hooking. This example should cause a general pause to reconsider the approach to scrums.

I'd be more worried about Davies but not as a main threat. My concern would be that he'd be overlooked by England and too much space given. However if Wigglesworth plays, he tightens up that area of the game massively and I can't see Davies making too much ground.

England have known how to play Mike Philips for a while. I'd be more worried as a Welshman if he played I think.

Question: When was the last time Wales went into a match with England this unfavoured? I'm struggling to think of it.

As a Welsh fan I would rather Lloyd Williams start he is similar to Webb in style and delivery of pass, with Spikey on the bench to close the game down in the last 10 to 15 mins.
You are probably right about Tips as a centre from a defensive point of view, although he is a quick learner and I would put nothing beyond his capabilities, will be gutted if he doesn't start on Saturday, he is the one player England fear most.

We know everything about Phillips & not much about Davies therefore I would prefer if you picked Phillips. He's lost a yard of pace and also he's easy to get at which is his biggest weakness in my book.

Latest posts