• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] England

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he can keep his workrate up he can definitely cover 6, though I'd not start him there since his lineout threat is even less than Haskells.

However, after the RWC, we may see something like 6. Vunipola 7. ? 8. Hughes, where Hughes does the lineout work.

hi trf-nickdnz
i would be interested to know where you think billy would figure in the pecking order for the abs no 8 shirt ?

If he can keep his workrate up he can definitely cover 6, though I'd not start him there since his lineout threat is even less than Haskells.

However, after the RWC, we may see something like 6. Vunipola 7. ? 8. Hughes, where Hughes does the lineout work.

There's a long distance between "Think the idea is not insane" and "Actually do it".

hi trf-nickdnz
i would be interested to know where you think billy would figure in the pecking order for the abs no 8 shirt ?

Hey!

Kieran Read is in my opinion the best 8 in the world. I'd happily have Vunipola after that - however it'd be close between him and Victor Vito - who I think is very underrated. It's really academic anyway as no one gets to play at no 8 with Read there.

I know it doesn't include rucks hit, but the stats basically show BV putting in at least equal shifts in as our current 6/7. As he improves, someone like Hughes at 8 to really compliment the carrying, could work fairly well.

Billy v does not at all have the work rate required to play 6! Have you watched him in a game compared to our flankers?

He is a brilliant 8 but his off the ball work is lacking for a 6,7 but right for an 8.

That isn't meant as a slight on billy v at all but he just doesn't get to his feet and get back in the line quick enough for a flanker.

He should stay at 8, let's not keep putting players out of position.

Billy v does not at all have the work rate required to play 6! Have you watched him in a game compared to our flankers?

He is a brilliant 8 but his off the ball work is lacking for a 6,7 but right for an 8.

That isn't meant as a slight on billy v at all but he just doesn't get to his feet and get back in the line quick enough for a flanker.

He should stay at 8, let's not keep putting players out of position.

The fact he doesn't exhibit the work rate of a 6 is probably because he's playing 8.

He has played 6 for Sarries quite effectively.

Kind of. The thing is when he plays at 6 we use Joubert or Wray as 8 so really all he is doing is wearing the 6 shirt but his game doesn't change at all. Watch him v Ulster last year (pretty sure he was playing 6 that match) and even then he is taking deep kicks and just carrying.

Parisse and Vito probably would do the same things for their countries though. O'Brien can play the whole backrow and he is in the back field waiting.

I'll add my voice to the Billy Vunipola chorus. Big shout for most improved player in the tournament, certainly in the England squad. He has managed to improve his work rate while also improving his ability to play 80 minutes - the fitness guy at Sarries deserves a big pat on the back

I'll add my voice to the Billy Vunipola chorus. Big shout for most improved player in the tournament, certainly in the England squad. He has managed to improve his work rate while also improving his ability to play 80 minutes - the fitness guy at Sarries deserves a big pat on the back

Reluctantly would have to agree but still want Morgan ahead of him when fit again!!!

I'm not sure I do. If you could guarantee the same form as pre-injury that's one thing, but you really can't, and I feel Vunipola's earned the right to be the man in possession.

I'm not sure I do. If you could guarantee the same form as pre-injury that's one thing, but you really can't, and I feel Vunipola's earned the right to be the man in possession.

Absolutely and, unfortunately, Morgan will not have the chance to prove his fitness. But there again, to my mind, neither will Tuilagi!

I think Wasps fans are more receptive to BV at 6, having seen our backrow with Johnson at 6 (with a very similar role). BV is basically an improved version (better at bosh at least, Johnsons ball skills are probably better).

Well when Burgess is finally converted to a back row we can have:

6. Billy 7. Slamin' 8. Ben

And Kvesic will go off to play in France.

All this combinations talk was getting me thinking, and just for fun, take a look at this team for the 2019 World Cup, almost all of whom have been capped already, ages in 2019 included on the right:

1 Corbisiero 30
2 Cowan-Dickie 25
3 Cole 31
4 Lawes 30
5 Launchbury 27
6 Itoje 24
7 Kvesic 26
8 Vunipola 26
9 Youngs 29
10 Ford 26
11 Nowell 25
12 Slade 26