• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

I'm so looking forward to this game. I won't engage in silly banter but reading you guys so far has been such fun!

Looking forward to a Lions tour next year to, I'm sure it will be a bit more representative of all the Lions nations next time round, as Wales clearly had superior players last time round (and still do in some positions)... We can all hold hands in 18 months time... So much rugby between now and then... I'm excited with what I'm hoping England produce over that time, same with Wales and the players they have... Not discounting Ireland or Scotland players... but I'm not discussing that in this thread...

Thats not actually correct mate. At RWC2015 Wales and England matched up with the youngest squads in the competition and the game at Twickenham saw us field identical average age sides. Wales are losing Gethin and we need to replace AWJ over the next few years. At the back Jamie is the oldest player but a Wales side with Scott Williams and JD2 together could arguably be stronger. The game on saturday sees Wales field a younger average age side than we did last September (with Gethin out) so if anything, these two squads will be competing against each other for the next 10 years but Wales have youngsters like Halfpenny to come back and he is very experienced already. George North is the most capped winger on the field and second is Cuthbert. North is the same age as both Nowell and Watson (well a year older only) at 23.
The combined age of Englands starting 15 this week is 381 with an average age of 25.4 - Wales is 391 with an average age of 26. Caps-wise England have 514 to Wales' 675. England have 5 players 28+ and Wales just the 3. There is very little to choose from here so calls of a 'brave new world' for this 'young vibrant English side' are a little disengenuous.

'youngsters like Halfpenny' LOL, he's 27. Not old but you can't in all seriousness call him a youngster.

I think the point was that the England side is inexperienced, and you argue with that point, then prove it right with stats., Eng 514 caps Wales 675.

England's average age will drop when the 'senior' players get replaced over the course of the next year. Hartley, Robshaw, Cole, Brown and Haskell are the 5 players 28+ that you are referring to, but don't forget Danny Care, so that makes it 6.

Wales have 3 players 28+ you say. Who are they? Jamie Roberts, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Ken Owens, Paul James, Luke Charteris, and Rhys Priestland. That makes 8.

As you've got that completely wrong then I can't accept any of your other figures are correct.

How many times do we need to tell you this.

WalesOnline is NOT a reputable source, especially for rugby <_<

No-one really thinks were that close to NZ...
My post wasn't to be taken that seriously. :p

Wales have 3 players 28+ you say. Who are they? Jamie Roberts, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Ken Owens, Paul James, Luke Charteris, and Rhys Priestland. That makes 8.

in the same regard as england though we have viable replacements for all of those players already within the wider squad (granted not near their level yet but they could be in future). Roberts will only play a bit part in the next world cup, davies and wyn jones might but id be happy with jake ball filling in for one of them, lydiates replacement im assuming would be Ross Moriaty, ken owens is already a replacement, baldwin is 26 i think so will certainly be playing for us a while longer, paul james will only be bench cover along with gethin jenkins, anscombe will eventually be our other 10 instead of priestland.

Sorry macsen as a fellow Welsh supporter I don't agree that you really believe that. Wales v England is the single biggest game well it is for Wales sorry to the other nations and we as supporter WANT to win this just as much as any other game we've played against them, sorry but I just don't buy it if the hunger for the victory isn't there then why are you even supporting its about passion pride and bragging rights and we are more Equal now than we've ever been no one from both sides can confidently say that they are gonna win , let's not beat around the bush this victory will be just as sweet as the WC victory and as the 2005 Henson golden boot kick victory and if we lose I'll be gutted

My post wasn't to be taken that seriously. :p

Haha no worries I got the tongue in cheek side ;) Knew I should've added in a :p or something

That said. My hate for WalesOnline is pretty damn serious - and this is speaking as someone who's got friends who work there, and a sibling who used to!

I agree with most of this apart from the beginning.

How did you came to the conclusion that Wales have the advantage in the front row?

We marched you backwards at scrum time both last Spring & in the World Cup (as did Fiji, Australia & SA).

Yes Lee was coming back in Sept from injury & Evans has done ok so far but England is a different prospect when it comes to the scrum.

I genuinely think our replacements props would get in ahead of Lee & Evans too.

The scrum is a 50/50 for me , it was poor during the World Cup when everyone thought it was going to be an asset. I dunno sometime are scrum can be great and other times very poor. A lot will depend on the refs assessment at the scrum . I think remember Cole repeatedly infridging at the scrum and it not getting spotted last time

- - - Updated - - -

in the same regard as england though we have viable replacements for all of those players already within the wider squad (granted not near their level yet but they could be in future). Roberts will only play a bit part in the next world cup, davies and wyn jones might but id be happy with jake ball filling in for one of them, lydiates replacement im assuming would be Ross Moriaty, ken owens is already a replacement, baldwin is 26 i think so will certainly be playing for us a while longer, paul james will only be bench cover along with gethin jenkins, anscombe will eventually be our other 10 instead of priestland.

The U21 team has some good talent doing well in their own right, plenty to be optimistic about for the future

The Welsh backs can pass the ball, the issue lies with not being used to playing a game that calls for it. Wales beat England by 30-3 in 2013 and both tries came from fluent quick ball passed through the hands to the winger - as a result of quick decision making. The try against England in RWC2015 also came from quick ball through the hands, excellent decision making under pressure and great hands to scoop and finish. Norths try against Scotland was a result of a training-ground backs move that saw him come infield and cause havoc. Wales scored a brilliant try against South Africa when Biggar chipped, caught and fed Davies - again, great hands.

Its worth noting that when Wales cut loose against Italy and caused mayhem on the final day of last seasons tournament, they scored lots of tries with some great handling. Too ften though, we depend on defence and opportunism, and Scott Williams try v Ireland last year as well as his try at Twickenham (Grand Slam year) were results of defensive pressure.

To suggest Biggar, Davies (G and J), North and Williams cant actually pass is madness. to suggest that Wales can compete at the highest levels but dont have the simplest and most basic skills of all, handling and passing, is madness.

Its there, its just not second nature under Gatlands regime. It needs to be second nature. I firmly believe we have it in us to mix the game up and be devastating in attack - we have shown signs against most teams, but not consistently.

We either will be allowed to expand under Gatland, or we wont. I truly believe that this Welsh team has it in them to give someone an absolute pasting, its just that they play safety first (and second) rugby with the brakes on, by design, under orders. We lost marginally to South Africa and Australia and its fair to say that in neither game were we torn asunder by attacking rugby.

- - - Updated - - -

Overall maybe we are, but we are not incredible a la Anglaterre. England have gone from world cup pathetic to incredible in 7 months. No pressure.

Don't worryprofitus is winding you up or he's a nut job, oh and man for man we are better only a complete idiot would disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Just when I was starting to like Eddie J he comes out with unsubstantiated b**l**ks about our scrum still Robbie Mac has retaliated pointing out Marhlers illegalities, I just wish coaches would stop trying to influence the man with the whistle, (still EJ started it )

That's the best England team Jones has picked yet and I may allow myself some guarded optimism that Jones is taking us in the right direction.

Sorry macsen as a fellow Welsh supporter I don't agree that you really believe that. Wales v England is the single biggest game well it is for Wales sorry to the other nations and we as supporter WANT to win this just as much as any other game we've played against them, sorry but I just don't buy it if the hunger for the victory isn't there then why are you even supporting its about passion pride and bragging rights and we are more Equal now than we've ever been no one from both sides can confidently say that they are gonna win , let's not beat around the bush this victory will be just as sweet as the WC victory and as the 2005 Henson golden boot kick victory and if we lose I'll be gutted

Every game against England is the biggest, beating them means 12 months of gloating, most of us would rather bt England and loose all the other games, just like Ponty beating Cardiff and the Piemen means everything.

Every game against England is the biggest, beating them means 12 months of gloating, most of us would rather bt England and loose all the other games, just like Ponty beating Cardiff and the Piemen means everything.

I couldn't agree more I live in Wales and this is the game I want to win . It's exactly how you say it is . 12 months of gloating simple as that

Haha no worries I got the tongue in cheek side ;) Knew I should've added in a :p or something

That said. My hate for WalesOnline is pretty damn serious - and this is speaking as someone who's got friends who work there, and a sibling who used to!

Are you serious, Wales online helps to counter balance the bull**** in the English press, are you sure you are really Welsh mind you you are from Cardiff, enough said.

Are you serious, Wales online helps to counter balance the bull**** in the English press, are you sure you are really Welsh mind you you are from Cardiff, enough said.

Nope the WalesOnline knows sod all about rugby . I'm surprised you like it as they are an advocate of the regions and the current set up in Welsh rugby . Anywho they talk tripe but it's only the same as Scrum V . At the end of the day it's Welsh media and they are saying what Welsh people want to hear . Supply and demand the same as any countries media

I couldn't agree more I live in Wales and this is the game I want to win . It's exactly how you say it is . 12 months of gloating simple as that

And I live in England so I know exactly where your'e coming from, there have been dark days in the 90's for example when I could only venture out after dark without a disguise.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope the WalesOnline knows sod all about rugby . I'm surprised you like it as they are an advocate of the regions and the current set up in Welsh rugby . Anywho they talk tripe but it's only the same as Scrum V . At the end of the day it's Welsh media and they are saying what Welsh people want to hear . Supply and demand the same as any countries media

Yep

The U21 team has some good talent doing well in their own right, plenty to be optimistic about for the future

oh definitely, lots of youngsters coming through and they look sharp. hopefully they'll start to get more playing time with our regions before some decide to play elsewhere. be nice to get the cap rule like Australia have so the older chaps can still move abroad after long service to wales, enabling the younger guys to get first team rugby with regions. we're definitely on the up again, just like the crop of the u21 team in 2008 paved the way for us at senior level.

back to the match i really cant predict this one, its going to be as tight as the world cup game which was amazing as a fan (perhaps not so much to a neutral), regardless of the outcome im sure it'll will be great on saturday for all us supporters, win or loose. if we do lose though i cant see france beating england so the grand slam will be theirs

- - - Updated - - -

(scrum v) they certainly are catering to younger fans like me who wouldn't know much about rugby before the regions . although wales online do post utter tripe most of the time. scrum v is obviously biased but as long as you acknowledge that and dont take what they all say seriously then who cares haha

They didn't claim English press wasn't bull****, just that WalesOnline was. Which you've confirmed in your post, I'm sure they're very grateful.

Well I bloody speak Welsh so I'd like to think that counts towards my Welsh-ness. Ha, been a while since you've crow-barred an anti-Cardiff reference into a post ;)

Give over though. Andy Howell is a muppet, and some of the stuff they post is just embarrassing.

Should probably note too that the normal news on WalesOnline is pretty good, football coverage is apparently decent too. My hate stems solely at the rugby coverage.

They didn't claim English press wasn't bull****, just that WalesOnline was. Which you've confirmed in your post, I'm sure they're very grateful.

Bull**** is what I'm claiming the majority of the English rugby press to be.

Latest posts