• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England vs France (10/02/2019)

I agree, winning all your games guarantees you win, simple. That doesn't mean you don't take your opportunities or you don't commit to an attack, but Exeter have been caught out a few times by going for tries and not kicking points. We are capable of getting the bonus point, but then so are France if they turn up and we don't. I agree when players say they are focused on this game. Go out, play like you did against Ireland and if the opportunity for a bonus point presents itself then take it.
That's exactly it. I want us to be positive and not kick the ball away, look for the 7 points where we can but take 3 if that's what's on. We need to learn to be ruthless, consistent and pragmatic. Got to start hard and strong, take each quarter, half, and game at a time, and build steady by unrelenting momentum that places doubt in the mind of the opposition before the game even begins. England can build that. The question still remains, will they?

I agree, winning all your games guarantees you win, simple. That doesn't mean you don't take your opportunities or you don't commit to an attack, but Exeter have been caught out a few times by going for tries and not kicking points. We are capable of getting the bonus point, but then so are France if they turn up and we don't. I agree when players say they are focused on this game. Go out, play like you did against Ireland and if the opportunity for a bonus point presents itself then take it.
That's exactly it. I want us to be positive and not kick the ball away, look for the 7 points where we can but take 3 if that's what's on. We need to learn to be ruthless, consistent and pragmatic. Got to start hard and strong, take each quarter, half, and game at a time, and build steady by unrelenting momentum that places doubt in the mind of the opposition before the game even begins. England can build that. The question still remains, will they?

Brunel is an absolute complete nutter. Going off last week results England smash France by 20 points, However this being the 6nations it doesn't always work out how things are expected to go! Still expect England to win with plenty in hand . I'll be rooting for the upset tho allez les bleus and all that :)

Honestly listened to Ben Ryan audiobook (Was in a 2 for 1 offer on Audible)
And I love the guy now.

Anyway up to England to provide some entertainment this weekend it seems the boring celts doing their usual boring rugby.

Brunel is an absolute complete nutter. Going off last week results England smash France by 20 points, However this being the 6nations it doesn't always work out how things are expected to go! Still expect England to win with plenty in hand . I'll be rooting for the upset tho allez les bleus and all that :)

Nutter I don't know but his selections are baffling - putting a wing st FB and two centres on the wing just seems plain weird selection - also bringing Basta back is a mistake ( too slow for what I expect will be a fast game)
I think 12/14 points will be the margin of victory and I think this will be England's real test in this 6 nations playing a France with nothing to lose .
Seeing how Wales played today against Italy , I would fear an unpredictable wounded France rather more than a fairly pedestrian Wales side ( although I suspect that they won't play that badly against England)

Some interesting stats stuff I've seen. In the first weekend of rugby England had the least carries, least Meters gained, least defenders beaten, but the highest number of tackles completed and most tries scored. Seems almost backwards, but would suggest that we were pretty clinical and did a lot with the opportunities we had.

France on the other hand made loads of meters, beat plenty of defenders and Carried a lot, and still really struggled. Both teams almost diametrically opposed.

Watching the others play today we are looking well set. The Scots were eager but as always seems to be the case just no where near clinical enough and faded away. The Welsh looked average, but then that was essentially a second string team, but they didn't look too hot last week, and the Italians are, as always, the whipping boys. Just need to smash the French up tomorrow and send em back to Paris, tails between legs.

Agree we are well set scotland wales and italy should be huge issues(on current form) but wales in Cardiff no matter the form they will be fired up for it. All other teams have lost one except wales meaning they have alot to fight for. So i still think a bp win today is important, not worth risking the win but definatly worth pushing for. If we can get 3 TBPs from 5 games (Ireland, italy and fance) we shpuld still be set for the championship if we do manage to lose in Cardiff. I think we have a strong enough team and enough fire power for the grandslam tbh but its ours to lose.

Ireland and wales 0BP and scotland 1BP from italy. So if england can go 2BP from 2 wins with italy still to come. Then we are in a good place gping into Wales.

Game day is here. Weather looking to improve throughout the day so shouldn't be raining come KO but the ground will be wet.

There's been a fair amount of chat about the the French Pack for this game, but from what I can see ours is heavier, and handier. We should be able to hold them just fine at the set piece.

We need that same high pace defence we produced against Ireland. France will be desperate for go forward ball in attack, get them going backwards with great line speed and they will struggle to produce anything and if they maintain the usual French lack of composure will get frustrated and make mistakes.

I really want to see a controlled a clinical game from us today. No silly penalties, smart game
Management, playing the percentages and territory. Of course we need to come out the blocks fast but it has to be controlled. Also hope Robson gets a half decent chance today. Keen to see what he can produce at this level.

Even though he is on the bench rather than the starting XV, I do worry that Dan Cole is back. I reckon in many a game he is worth 9 points to the opposition
Mike

Agree we are well set scotland wales and italy should be huge issues(on current form) but wales in Cardiff no matter the form they will be fired up for it. All other teams have lost one except wales meaning they have alot to fight for. So i still think a bp win today is important, not worth risking the win but definatly worth pushing for. If we can get 3 TBPs from 5 games (Ireland, italy and fance) we shpuld still be set for the championship if we do manage to lose in Cardiff. I think we have a strong enough team and enough fire power for the grandslam tbh but its ours to lose.

Ireland and wales 0BP and scotland 1BP from italy. So if england can go 2BP from 2 wins with italy still to come. Then we are in a good place gping into Wales.
It's a good point. And it would take some of the sting out of Wales if they realised that they probably won't lift the cup regardless, but then again it might just fire them up to push for the BP against us to put them back in contention. The psychological options are endless?!!

Regardless it's always the case that everyone raises their game against us, and agree Cardiff will be a tough prospect as always. All the usual roof none sense, forcing the bus through the town etc. But that's to worry about later.

I think if England just play their game today and keep control of the flow of the game and BP may well just come.

Even though he is on the bench rather than the starting XV, I do worry that Dan Cole is back. I reckon in many a game he is worth 9 points to the opposition
Mike
That would be an interesting stat to know. How many points does each player give away due to penalties.

It's a good point. And it would take some of the sting out of Wales if they realised that they probably won't lift the cup regardless, but then again it might just fire them up to push for the BP against us to put them back in contention. The psychological options are endless?!!

Regardless it's always the case that everyone raises their game against us, and agree Cardiff will be a tough prospect as always. All the usual roof none sense, forcing the bus through the town etc. But that's to worry about later.

I think if England just play their game today and keep control of the flow of the game and BP may well just come.

Have you been to Cardiff? Unless you fancy hiring some small water craft to get you down the river taff, or using England's mass funds to hire a helicopter to land on the pitch, the stadium is smack in the middle of the town. The bus ride down west gate street is part of the history and the atmosphere. The roof stuff isn't a problem for other teams. We can discuss that in the next games thread :D

Anyway, today! I think the physicality of last week would take its toll on any team. Felt Ireland showed that yesterday. I was massively impressed with the sharpness of England's attack last week. The fitness was incredible, and the intensity was that of a team ready to win a WC. I think Farrell is outstanding at 10. Id expect a comfortable BP England win, but France have caused upsets in the past so hopefully they will make it competitive for the neutral!

Slightly off topic but in London today Piccadilly Circus area, any recommendations on where to watch the game?

Who listens to Ben Ryan.

Les Bleus are toast. Second division in the making.

Ben doesn't see the LNR are in charge, not the union.

You don't think FFR are trying to build for 2023 and the home WC?

Slightly off topic but in London today Piccadilly Circus area, any recommendations on where to watch the game?

Depends what you're looking for ...

There's a big sports bar at the bottom of Haymarket, but there are also some pubs in quieter streets that might be a better option if you want somewhere less busy. I watched the England vs. Australia AI game in a little pub on Babmaes Street which is a 2min walk from Piccadilly Circus.

Download an App called Match Pint. It tells you which pubs are playing what sports and also does drinks offers.

Latest posts