• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] France vs England (02/02/20)

Absolutely miserable weather here, grey, cold and wet. This is going to suit the English team just fine, they will feel right at home.

4 locks, 4 centres, 3 opensides is a very EJ team

Yep and it's stupid imho.

I honestly think we're in for a nasty shock tomorrow.

France with a young, exciting side, something to prove and benefiting from the Edwards effect (I don't think he will last with France but the honeymoon period you've gotta think they'll benefit massively).

England unbalanced in terms of personnel, lacking much by way of game changers on the bench (Heinz ffs - I wouldn't even have him starting at club level), mentally fragile and playing away.

I know France have been **** for a while but our confidence for this game is misplaced.

Was just thinking about Edwards, initially I was very sceptical that he'd be able to make an impact but sheer youth of the squad could help him a lot. By some accounts the emerging bunch like Dupont and Ntamack are much more serious about their professionalism and it might be much easier to get a squad young talented players to buy into what he's doing.

Remains to be seen and I think England will win comfortably, and that France will be doing very well to get a top half finish, let alone getting anywhere near a ***le.

9DEBA513-B22B-42CC-93D2-92E479F5BC81.jpeg

That is a proper Shiner. How the hell is Lewis gonna play any part tomorrow if he can't see out of that eye?

France with a young, exciting side, something to prove and benefiting from the Edwards effect (I don't think he will last with France but the honeymoon period you've gotta think they'll benefit massively).

I'm not really sure what effect Edwards will have. I've never really been sold on him as a defensive genius. His Welsh defences have been up and down rather than consistently good. Anyone remember when Wales shipped 5 or more tries in 6 consecutive games back in 2016? Edwards' response to the media at the time: "We have just played the All-Blacks mate." So apparently it's okay failing in your job as defence coach if you're playing the All-Blacks. Not to mention they also played England, Oz and the Chiefs on that dreadful run. Also, didn't the Wallabies and France both put 3 tries on Wales at the WC, IIRC? (Now watch tomorrow as France hold England tryless! :D)

I know we can lose tomorrow, but I'm feeling really optimistic about England's chances. I might be the only one on this board though! o_O

It's fair comment but he has a winning mentality, had a good record at Wasps and whether his role for Wales was crucial or not, he was still a part of the coaching team that has overseen the most successful period in their history.

I guess my point is that he has a professionalism that France can only benefit from imho.

I don't think he'll last too long there because I don't think he's a good cultural fit but I'm expecting a short term boost from his presence.

But then who knows.

I know France have been **** for a while but our confidence for this game is misplaced.

You think so? That's a real glass half empty way of looking at it. Looking at the last 12 months and both squads, I can't see how you could come to that conclusion. France have some great young players and might win this but England should be confident and be considered favourites.

I'm not really sure what effect Edwards will have. I've never really been sold on him as a defensive genius. His Welsh defences have been up and down rather than consistently good. Anyone remember when Wales shipped 5 or more tries in 6 consecutive games back in 2016? Edwards' response to the media at the time: "We have just played the All-Blacks mate." So apparently it's okay failing in your job as defence coach if you're playing the All-Blacks. Not to mention they also played England, Oz and the Chiefs on that dreadful run. Also, didn't the Wallabies and France both put 3 tries on Wales at the WC, IIRC? (Now watch tomorrow as France hold England tryless! :D)

I know we can lose tomorrow, but I'm feeling really optimistic about England's chances. I might be the only one on this board though! o_O
No

I get @Not Eddie Jones sentiment, there were periods during the last 12 years where the Welsh defence leaked (there were more where it did not but still...) so he (Edwards) is definitely not perfect. However, I do think he is a coach that has a pretty quick and big effect on a team... now that could be tempered somewhat by the language and cultural differences he'll face in France but that is what makes it so interesting though right?

It's fair comment but he has a winning mentality, had a good record at Wasps and whether his role for Wales was crucial or not, he was still a part of the coaching team that has overseen the most successful period in their history.

I keep seeing this said on loads of media. Was it the most successful period in their history? 4 Six Nations ***les in 12 years isn't even close to their golden period between 1964 and 1979 when they won 11 ***les (8 outright and 3 shared). Between 1975 and 1979 alone they won 4 ***les in 5 years (all outright). Am I the only one who remembers this? Has history been changed and nobody told me? o_O

It's crazy to think that Genge was first capped back in 2016 and 4 years later still hasn't really put his hand up to be 1st choice.

Edit: Wow, just checked and he's still only 24. Thought he was more about the 26-27 range. Still has plenty of time on the clock.

It's not 'crazy'. He's just unfortunate to be in a position where he has two excellent, experienced players he's competing with.

Arguably Marler's period of retirement and Mako's injuries should have seen him get more starts, but he was always likely to drop back down the pecking order once they came back.

And I don't really think you can include 2020 as a fourth 'year' given we're only 33 days in to it.

I keep seeing this said on loads of media. Was it the most successful period in their history? 4 Six Nations ***les in 12 years isn't even close to their golden period between 1964 and 1979 when they won 11 ***les (8 outright and 3 shared). Between 1975 and 1979 alone they won 4 ***les in 5 years (all outright). Am I the only one who remembers this? Has history been changed and nobody told me? o_O
No your not , the max boyce yrs as i call them were terrible as an england fan .
Used to by tickets at the gate to watch england ireland for the wooden spoon

So the day has finally arrived. A nice couple of warmup matches yesterday. No change for poor old Italy, and Ireland benefitting from Scotland's refusal to score tries (it's like their allergic to winning). I must confess I don't know as much about the individual French players as I'd like, but from what I do know England should have them pretty well covered man for man. Add to that more experience in England's favour, we should be winning, even away from home.

But this game isn't going to be about the physical for England, it's all going to be in the mind. Can they shake off the WC and the Sarries cheating scandal? If they have, or can, the I would fancy our chances against a fresh, and arguably exciting, new French team. If not, and the mental fatigue has taken its toll, then we could be in for a long day.

I'm hoping for a dry day in Paris so both teams can show what they have. Fingers crossed for some exciting rugby.

No your not , the max boyce yrs as i call them were terrible as an england fan .

Thank goodness for that, I was beginning to think I'd dreamt the whole thing. :eek: Growing up, Wales were THE team, and they played some pretty sexy rugby to boot.

PS. Please don't use rude words like 'Max Boyce' on this forum. :p

So the day has finally arrived. A nice couple of warmup matches yesterday. No change for poor old Italy, and Ireland benefitting from Scotland's refusal to score tries (it's like their allergic to winning). I must confess I don't know as much about the individual French players as I'd like, but from what I do know England should have them pretty well covered man for man. Add to that more experience in England's favour, we should be winning, even away from home.

But this game isn't going to be about the physical for England, it's all going to be in the mind. Can they shake off the WC and the Sarries cheating scandal? If they have, or can, the I would fancy our chances against a fresh, and arguably exciting, new French team. If not, and the mental fatigue has taken its toll, then we could be in for a long day.

I'm hoping for a dry day in Paris so both teams can show what they have. Fingers crossed for some exciting rugby.

It would be great if we could pull it off given that we're missing the Vunipolas, Launchbury, Slade, Nowell, Watson and Cokanasiga. That's a lot of talent out.

Weather forecast looks promising.

England to win this gameby 15 after a brave French resistance in the first half.
France is still trying to rebuild something consistent, had a brand new coaching team, several injured players.
I know some English players are injured too but they have so much more experience and reasons to be confident that it won't be a problem for them as it will be for France.

I think this is the year where England will get the Grand Slam even though Wales will as usual be a very serious contender.
As for France if they finish better than in 4th position that will already be an accomplishment from my point of view...

In the wooden stands at Twickers what a hell hole it was.

Thank goodness for that, I was beginning to think I'd dreamt the whole thing. :eek: Growing up, Wales were THE team, and they played some pretty sexy rugby to boot.

PS. Please don't use rude words like 'Max Boyce' on this forum. :p
The welsh have the cheek to call usarrogant MB took it to a new level

Latest posts