• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

As of 15.00 today Rassie has not handed in resignation. But I'm not saying he is staying. But reports are good that if he goes there is a big budget for a coach on fact there is a buyout fee and we made massive profits on last season.
But Penney, Plumtree are considered.
Also enquiries from Nick Mallet, Chris Boyd, John Kirwan and Stephen Larkham have been rumoured.

Mallet would be an interesting pick up.

Those without knighthoods, an MBE and KNZM (may show leeway on the last one) need not apply. That would just leave Kirwan. Ould Mallett hasn't done anything since Italy has he? Boyd would be interesting too. Maybe him and Plummer are a package?

Turns out my gran was from county Waterford. I'M BASICALLY A MUNSTER MAN!
Sorry to say it mate, but your nana drinks cans of Gallahad, wore a full ellesse tracksuit, cycled a fixie bike and graffitied cocks on the side of schools, all while never glancing sideways at a rugby ball. Just on the balance of probability for someone from Waterford

New Academy intake is in. Jack Power who was reportedly moving from Leinster is in along with a fairly odd one James McCarthy from Cross Keyes and Dragons in Wales. They're joined by Liam Coombes (Garryowen), Joey Conway (UL Bohs), Conor Fitzgerald (Shannon), Jack Stafford (Shannon), Alan Tynan (Young Munster). Bit overkill on the back three there.

Do you know why I didn't reply last night? Because I was crying to myself into the "wee" hours. No, you're right and it all makes sense now. My nan left Ireland when she was in her twenties, disavowed her nationality and refused to ever speak about her past. I think now I know why. Not sure about the trakkies though.

Yes he has signalled it this morning but will be gone long before Dec 31st and well plans are already in place for Munster to replace him.

On Rassie and Jacques. I've no ill feeling. They've worked wonders for us especially through a rough season that there is no manual for. And they improved us on the field massively.

Not a huge amount of respect for how Rassie handled this anymore but he did a good job. Still, hopefully won't be a big deal if we recruit the right man. Nienaber will be the bigger loss for me. He's class.
Amy update on new appointments @munstermuffin

It's a kick in the teeth for Munster and hasn't been handled well but it's hard to begrudge somebody taking up the top job for his own country. I wish both departing coaches well. They'll leave Munster in a far better place than they joined.

A Michael Bradley, Eddie O'Sullivan dream team to take over maybe?!

Talks are well underway with a replacement and from what I'm hearing.
As for Rassie and Jacques. I don't begrudge them as they are going to try improve their home nation.

Jason Holland, John Plumtree, Andy Farrell and Stephen Larkham are the strongest mumbling though.

A Stephen Larkham/Tony McGahan combo has been mentioned too.

All good options, but I wouldn't want Farnell as a head coach. Defense is his game. Thought I read that Plumtree didn't feel like coming back quite yet, but that may have been someone else.

All good options, but I wouldn't want Farnell as a head coach. Defense is his game. Thought I read that Plumtree didn't feel like coming back quite yet, but that may have been someone else.
I'm not sure Plumtree has interest BUT sure he will be contacted. I'd be in agreement regards Farrell but well I do hope we get a Head Coach & A DoR.

It's a kick in the teeth for Munster and hasn't been handled well but it's hard to begrudge somebody taking up the top job for his own country. I wish both departing coaches well. They'll leave Munster in a far better place than they joined.

A Michael Bradley, Eddie O'Sullivan dream team to take over maybe?!
I doubt that Snoop - We couldn't afford have of what Eddie's buyout clause from Old belvo is :D

Bradley is flying up the ranks in Georgia too and has received credit for his defensive coaching over.

Can say rumours are strong Farrell and Lancaster are both under serious consideration for Munster job. If both arrive I will be absolutely F'ing delighted.
Big fan of both. Also interesting it's being rumoured they will be joint head coaches.

I'd have no problem with Lancaster being coach, that's a pretty exciting prospect. Like many always rated him as a coach, just maybe not at World Cup level. He's youngish for a coach, I reckon he'll be a pretty big coach in time to come. Places like Leinster and Munster are where he can really develop his coaching skills for the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts