• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Posted it in the wrong thread!

Link to news of Ferreira here:
http://www.the42.ie/jp-ferreira-munster-defence-coach-3750341-Dec2017/

Extremely young coaching team. Hopefully they'll continue the great work put in by the departing coaches. Munster are in a much better place now than they were 18 months ago. Lots of young players coming through the system and excellent recruitment have sped up the rebuilding job which I thought would take at least 3 years.

Who was in charge of recruitment of late? Was it Rassie Erasmus or someone else?
I'm only messing Snoop.
But on last question. It has been restructured alot and networking is being used too. Like Jean De Villiers played big role in Rassie coming. Rassie recommended Wessels first and then alerted us to VDG and like how in depth a coach he was and how he wanted to branch away and become a head coach.
Doug Howlett is a key man and well recruitment has been reshuffled a bit but it's more trusting networking now.

Like in the Academy there was huge input in getting guys like Paul O'Connell in for technical coaching and we had Dan Carter in for few days last Summer to the Academy with ROG.
But I think it helps now all provinces that academy guys are back playing alot more AIL too. It's a yard to learn alot

How has Stephen Archer played this season? Have heard he's been improving for the last couple of seasons but never really saw it. Thought he looked decent on Sunday and seems to be getting the nod ahead of John Ryan in big games. If he can get to a point where he regularly holds a scrum up rather than be shunted backwards, Munster will be in a great spot at tighthead for another 4 or 5 years.

How has Stephen Archer played this season? Have heard he's been improving for the last couple of seasons but never really saw it. Thought he looked decent on Sunday and seems to be getting the nod ahead of John Ryan in big games. If he can get to a point where he regularly holds a scrum up rather than be shunted backwards, Munster will be in a great spot at tighthead for another 4 or 5 years.
Has been flying it to be fair. John is being managed very carefully due to medical grounds but Archer going well all season

Just read on Planetrugby that it is believe CJ is being offered the region of €840,000 per year by French teams.

Don't worry. Paper never refused ink
In relation to the other thread, any murmers of lads thinking they'll go through the world cup and then double their wages abroad after? It would be the logical approach to me if I was a pro, looking forward towards Joe's departure and no home RWC. I'm sure it's on some minds regardless of what they say but it'd be pretty damning if lads were thinking out loud.

In relation to the other thread, any murmers of lads thinking they'll go through the world cup and then double their wages abroad after? It would be the logical approach to me if I was a pro, looking forward towards Joe's departure and no home RWC. I'm sure it's on some minds regardless of what they say but it'd be pretty damning if lads were thinking out loud.
Guaranteed. Leinster Munster Ulster and Connacht will suffer big exodus. However it will change Ireland approach I think.
As in basically after 2019 it'll be eyes on 2023. The 6 Nation will be important but in another way not as important. Like look at Aus. You try peak on the 4year cycle.

A few Munster things happening today.

Zebo to Racing confirmed on their website during the week we play them. Coincidence or 14 year old girl passive aggression.
O'Donnell is out with injury (and no doubt for bereavement following the loss of his brother at a very young age regardless), and it looks like Cloete may be too with RTP protocols. Following his performance over the weekend, and the fact that he's never played a bad game for us to my mind, I wonder if Oliver will be added to the European Squad. We've a good few other injury question marks too.
Gerbrandt Grobler is back from injury too, which is nice, just in time to show mercenary second rows like DonO'Chadhe (or however it's spelled) Ryan the wrath of a man playing for the love of his club. Good man Gerbrandt.
Aled Waters has left Munster for South Africa. Rassie takes another, but great for Waters. You could never doubt our players' fitness in recent years.
Also a really weird rumor floating is that Munster have signed some 18 year old 118KG roided South African prop called Keynan Knox. Seems bizarre, but surely no smoke without fire with such a random rumor.

http://www.the42.ie/munster-keynan-knox-academy-tighthead-3788843-Jan2018/

Murray Kinsella from the42.ie is reporting it.

Seems a strange signing. The article above says he's not Ireland qualified. If that's the case, he'll have to serve out a 5 year residency to qualify for Ireland, assuming he arrived in 2018. Why use a valuable NIQ spot on an 18 year old project?

Perhaps it's good long term planning from Munster. Both John Ryan and Stephen Archer turn 30 this year and the depth behind them doesn't look great. Keynan Knox can get a college degree and develop in Munster's academy and A team for 3 years before seeing game time. At that point ease him in and he could be a starter in 5 years time.

How has Ciaran Parker done since signing earlier this season? Hasn't seemed to feature at all and is playing in the AIL. Has he a future as a Munster tighthead?

Seems a strange signing. The article above says he's not Ireland qualified. If that's the case, he'll have to serve out a 5 year residency to qualify for Ireland, assuming he arrived in 2018. Why use a valuable NIQ spot on an 18 year old project?

Perhaps it's good long term planning from Munster. Both John Ryan and Stephen Archer turn 30 this year and the depth behind them doesn't look great. Keynan Knox can get a college degree and develop in Munster's academy and A team for 3 years before seeing game time. At that point ease him in and he could be a starter in 5 years time.

How has Ciaran Parker done since signing earlier this season? Hasn't seemed to feature at all and is playing in the AIL. Has he a future as a Munster tighthead?
Ciaran Parker is playing very well. But again will be a squad guy more than a key guy. On Keynan Knox. He does have Irish connections and it played a part in the move. But it is unlikely he will be IQ. And fact he's on academy deal means he doesn't count as an NIQ guy.

On Aled he's been a superb mate and is a world class coach. He's done alot in 6 years here I started the same month as him and well I do think he will be back eventually

Seems simply bizarre and negative to me. Signing some huge monster that looks great at the moment, largely because he's twice the weight of most people his age, seems silly. Tightheads don't necessarily emerge at a very young age and take time to mature, so there's no need to future plan to a 5 year extent like this on a complete unknown quanitity. It makes us look bad, and is a dangerous precedent to set. For example, say you have a promising schools prop with an academy offer who will have to move to and base his studies in Limerick and live a pro lifestyle to have a shot at a pro career, he probably isn't near as likely to back himself and take the risk against someone like this.
Why not take a look at Jager in Canterbury, why not look at other provinces. If you're looking abroad for potential talent, use the exiles system and IQ rugby branch that is in place, don't sink to this.

If Keynan Knox is already qualified to play for Ireland, I don't see how this signing is any different to Munster signing Ciaran Parker, James McCarthy or Alex Wootton. I'd put it down to excellent scouting. Whatever happens, I wish him well and hope he has a successful career. Can't read much from a schoolboy highlights youtube reel but he seems to be a good carrier.

A small bit of digging/stalking instagram pages tells me he's been in Ireland since early December. Means he's qualified to play for Ireland from December 2020 as he came just before the residency rule increased from 3 to 5 years.

Latest posts