• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Tbh while it's awful and terrible for those involved, I'm not surprised anymore and tbh even discussing gun reform is a waste of time. America's love of guns and focus on their rights is far more important to them than people's lives. No amount of debating will change their minds if dead children won't.
I think the 'heat' needs to be taken out the debate which is almost impossible when people are dying due to its stupidity. But seriously gun reform needs to be off the table for a decade or two then maybe an adult conversation could be had.

I think the 'heat' needs to be taken out the debate which is almost impossible when people are dying due to its stupidity. But seriously gun reform needs to be off the table for a decade or two then maybe an adult conversation could be had.
Problem is how many people will die in those 2 decades because of lax gun laws. Essentially your saying shelve it until those supporting guns grow up. Reality is though that they aren't and never will. Those like the NRA have so successfully ingrained the idea that gun rights = freedom. I'm honestly not sure 2 decades would change anything which is just depressing.

It's Americas problem, past caring now and I'm fed up with our media's fascination with it. We have so much to deal with in my own country without getting wrapped up in a problem Americans don't want to solve for themselves
It must be so weird for Americans seeing other countries talk in depth about a range of American cultural issues including guns. Most Americans would struggle to name 5 countries outside of America let alone talk about other countries political and cultural issues.

Actually thinking about it I don't think Americans even realise this, so in their own bubble that they are. Apart from @die_mole of course.

Not much to say. We've made the decision to have bad gun laws and that means people will unnecessarily die. Idk even think we are having media debates about this one.

It will lead to further privatization of our public schools (the fee is owning a house worth $x) as people who want to go to safer schools will move to those neighborhoods. Sure, there will be the occasional parkland and newton but if we look into who these affect the most it's likely along class lines.

I think I've said this before but most my travel baseball team in high school was terrified of getting shot by cars going by cause you never knew if someone had a gun. It's just a weird paranoia to have from 15-18.

Anyway, it's sad bad but I don't think I will be too bothered unless one happens near where I live or where somewhere I have connections. Bad things happen all the time and these aren't exactly rare occurrences.

Not got the stats to hand but don't school shootings only make up a tiny % of gun related deaths.

I think child deaths at home by accident far outweigh school shootings and thats before you get into suicide and gang stuff.

While still pretty shocking to us I assume many Americans have become desensitized to it and accept the gun ownership isn't going away anytime soon. Plus many have been brainwashed into thinking they actually need a gun to defend themselves.

That is the saddest thing: the desensitisation and normalisation of mass shootings and gun ownership.

I have a fascination with America through their movies and tv shows and having visited different parts of the country on holiday. But I will never fully understand the gun culture aspect and right to bear arms.

Anyway, it's sad bad but I don't think I will be too bothered unless one happens near where I live or where somewhere I have connections. Bad things happen all the time and these aren't exactly rare occurrences.
Which is totally understandable in a country of 340m and 50 different states with their own laws. It's like us in UK not getting upset at a mass shooting that happened in Germany recently.

The National Executive Committee (NEC) voted 22 to 12 to approve a motion from Sir Keir Starmer to prevent Labour endorsing Mr Corbyn. There is no right of appeal.

Screenshot_20230328-211301__01.jpg

Don't particularly think it is the right thing for Starmer to table the motion and ban Corbyn from running.

Feels like it's an attempt to covet favour with the right wing media and reassure the wealthy

Last edited:
A very poor and stupid move by Starmer imo. He's basically trying to bat away the constant claims of being the party of Corbyn and removing the focus point of the more far left within the party. I can't see it working, Tories will just twist it, Corynites will despise Starmer and probably not vote Labour and everyone else will just see yet another hypocrite in politics.

Not got the stats to hand but don't school shootings only make up a tiny % of gun related deaths.

I think child deaths at home by accident far outweigh school shootings and thats before you get into suicide and gang stuff.
Closest I could find to stats for mass shootings (no breakdown within those figures for school shootings:

AE1B1AD5-025A-435C-B658-C3266641F629.jpeg

Most gun deaths are suicide.

A very poor and stupid move by Starmer imo. He's basically trying to bat away the constant claims of being the party of Corbyn and removing the focus point of the more far left within the party. I can't see it working, Tories will just twist it, Corynites will despise Starmer and probably not vote Labour and everyone else will just see yet another hypocrite in politics.

Don't particularly think it is the right thing for Starmer to table the motion and ban Corbyn from running.

Feels like it's an attempt to covet favour with the right wing media and reassure the wealthy
He still hasn't apologised for his response to the EHRC report into antisemitism in the party during his watch. And still has the whip withdrawn for it. Years later.

Not having the whip is simply incompatible with standing as a candidate.

Now I think Labour should decide to run no candidate is Corbyn does run as an Independent. They will still run one but they shouldn't.

But this isn't about Starmer it's Corbyn and his ego and being unable to be criticised.

The reality is that with Corbyn associated with the Labour party, many Jewish people were not going to vote for them regardless of policies or even whether Corbyn was maligned or not. In terms of a purely political decision you either **** of his ultra hardcore fans who tbh aren't very cooperative anyway or be accused of antisemitism. It's a no brainer really.

The reality is that with Corbyn associated with the Labour party, many Jewish people were not going to vote for them regardless of policies or even whether Corbyn was maligned or not. In terms of a purely political decision you either **** of his ultra hardcore fans who tbh aren't very cooperative anyway or be accused of antisemitism. It's a no brainer really.
I think it's slightly more complex than that. If he'd said when the report came out "I'm really sorry this happened under my watch" instead of "It's a media stich up and I've been vindicated as such" he'd still be Labour MP. I think most Jewish people were not worried about the man but his reaction and handling of it. Some contrition and it would of all blown over.

The Ultras have never been happy and pretty much have accusing Starmer of this and that since day one. Yet Labour still polls at about 50% I don't think passing them off will make any jot to the needle.

I think most Jewish people were not worried about the man but his reaction and handling of it. Some contrition and it would of all blown over.
I think most Jewish voters couldn't stand the man and what he stood for - (sympathising with Hamas). Certainly the ones who I spoke to.

I think most Jewish voters couldn't stand the man and what he stood for - (sympathising with Hamas). Certainly the ones who I spoke to.
Fair there was certainly no loved lost I just think they'd have stomached him being and MP if it wasn't for his reaction.

Still this hasn't made the papers and barely did anything on twitter yesterday. Very much a 'Westminster Bubble' story which only people in politics care about.

Latest posts