• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks vs Springboks, July 17th 2010, Second Tri Nations Test

Were the Boks Ripped Off?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Roussow should not have kicked a player on the ground. I get payed nothing to play rugby, and I can seem to manage that. It's like saying, he doesn't deserve to go to jail, he only killed a weak and old person anyway. Regardless, it was ill disipline and was punished as such.

2. I see Rene Ranger as a centre anyway. I think someone hit the nail on the head when they compared him to Toeava though, he has a crap load of natural talent, but untill he can do the basics right, he won't be the next Nonu. I think keeping him and working on him is a good idea, though don't do the utility thing, it makes players a jack of all trades but a master of none, and we have enough utility backs. Hosea Gear should have been brought in. Yes he's older than Ranger, but he has earned it more as well.

It will be interesting to see if some of the injured All Blacks who weren't automatic selections, like Isia Toeava, will get back in the 2011 All Black team.

Interestingly enough-

WELLINGTON, July 18, 2010 (AFP) - - A visibly annoyed Springbok captain John Smit has warned his side that ill-discipline will not be tolerated after a second player was suspended on their brief New Zealand tour.
"Discipline is vital," he said after back-to-back suspensions in the two Tri-Nations Tests against the All Blacks brought back memories of the dark reputation of some South African teams before Smit took over the captaincy.
Wing Jean de Villiers was suspended on Sunday for two weeks for a dangerous tackle on Rene Ranger in the second Test in Wellington, which was won by the All Blacks 31-17.
Following the first Test the previous week, which the All Blacks won 32-12, lock Bakkies Botha received a nine-week ban for head-butting halfback Jimmy Cowan.
The All Blacks scored freely against an undermanned Springboks in the opening stages of both Tests when Botha (ruck infringement, first Test) and Danie Rossouw (kicking, second Test) spent 10 minutes in the sin-bin.
Discipline is an issue which Smit has targeted since taking over the Springboks leadership in 2004 and when questioned about the latest suspensions he expressed disappointment at having been let down.
"It is certainly something that has been discussed at length for a number of years, especially with the image we had pre-2003 and the work we did to clean that up," he said.
"It's certainly not the type of question I want to be answering five or six or seven years later.
"Discipline is vital. If guys are seen to be stepping outside of the team it does get dealt with internally."
Smit said the yellow cards put the Springboks on the backfoot early in both Tests, and he also had no argument with the ban imposed on senior lock Botha saying it was "just reward for silly behaviour".
All Blacks captain Richie McCaw -- target of the boot that led to Rossouw's yellow card -- was unconcerned.
"It wasn't very much at all," McCaw said. "He got done lashing out so (it was) probably a bit stupid really."
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/ne...u-springbok-illdiscipline-angers-captain-smit

Last edited:
WHAT IS GOING ON?

My god, that game was completly All Black sided in the ref darpartment, let's run through it:

A yellow to Brussouw - for a fight that Richie McCaw started.
3 official warnings for Richie himself (not including the fight that saw Brussouw binned)
NOTHING for Rene Rangers shoulder charge on Zane.
Countless times that the All Blacks held our players on the ground.

Now we come to the citing..
Jean get's a two week ban for his "spear" tackle on Rene
Rene get's NOTHING for his shoulder charge on Zane

UTTER BULLSHIT.

How are the Boks expected to win with so much going against us?

not sure if youre serious...

1. Roussow should not have kicked a player on the ground. I get payed nothing to play rugby, and I can seem to manage that. It's like saying, he doesn't deserve to go to jail, he only killed a weak and old person anyway. Regardless, it was ill disipline and was punished as such.

2. I see Rene Ranger as a centre anyway. I think someone hit the nail on the head when they compared him to Toeava though, he has a crap load of natural talent, but untill he can do the basics right, he won't be the next Nonu. I think keeping him and working on him is a good idea, though don't do the utility thing, it makes players a jack of all trades but a master of none, and we have enough utility backs. Hosea Gear should have been brought in. Yes he's older than Ranger, but he has earned it more as well.

It will be interesting to see if some of the injured All Blacks who weren't automatic selections, like Isia Toeava, will get back in the 2011 All Black team.

Interestingly enough-

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/ne...u-springbok-illdiscipline-angers-captain-smit
Hmm, I wonder where Toeava, or McAlister for that matter, will fit in next year. I really hope those two guys are included, rather than fringe, 'developmental' players like Guildford or Ranger.

Don't get me wrong, they might be the future, but I think we have to pick players that are performing as well as experienced, for the cup.

In saying that, I'd like Ross to make it, though not at the expense of Donnelly. I don't think Ali Williams should be making the squad either. It would be a mistake to force him in there simply because of his name.

I merged the threads to keep the crying a bit more tidy.

Firstly of all SA failliure has nothing to do with the ref. Rolland clearly wan't to make his mark when sending off Roussow and to be fair to him there were no more fights/scuffles after that. I do agree that McCaw should have gone to the bin but rolland kept the game flowing well.

Well done to the AB looked really dangerous with ball in hand. The set piece was better for the springboks but for most of the time SA just wasted the possesion. I think Gio Apon is SA most threatning player and he has to be put in the first 15. I think weepu is far better than Cowan and It may be time for dagg to get his chance.

There was nothing wrong with that hit from Ranger. When you look at the footage, all effort was taken by the tackler to make a solid chest hit then wrap the arms, but his right arm bounced off his own player's body and was stopped from wrapping around.

Hmm, I wonder where Toeava, or McAlister for that matter, will fit in next year. I really hope those two guys are included, rather than fringe, 'developmental' players like Guildford or Ranger.

Don't get me wrong, they might be the future, but I think we have to pick players that are performing as well as experienced, for the cup.

In saying that, I'd like Ross to make it, though not at the expense of Donnelly. I don't think Ali Williams should be making the squad either. It would be a mistake to force him in there simply because of his name.
I think it's important to remember about Toeava, he's only 24 years old. He's still a bit of a development himself, he's just been around a hell of a long time for a young guy.

Firstly of all SA failliure has nothing to do with the ref. Rolland clearly wan't to make his mark when sending off Roussow and to be fair to him there were no more fights/scuffles after that. I do agree that McCaw should have gone to the bin

Rolland clearly wan't to make his mark when sending off Roussow

That sending off cost us 10 points, and most likely the game.

I do agree that McCaw should have gone to the bin

He deserved it, we might have actually been able to do something with him off the field after his 2nd official warning.

not sure if youre serious...

Actually I was, the swearing in caps wasn'tquite neccerary, sorry.

But come on guys, imagane if this had been the other side of the coin. Think how you would feel. Honestly.

Rolland clearly wan't to make his mark when sending off Roussow

That sending off cost us 10 points, and most likely the game.

I do agree that McCaw should have gone to the bin

He deserved it, we might have actually been able to do something with him off the field after his 2nd official warning.

Actually I was, the swearing in caps wasn'tquite neccerary, sorry.

But come on guys, imagane if this had been the other side of the coin. Think how you would feel. Honestly.

Last time I checked, the Boks lost by 14 points.

Had Richie Brad Thorn kicked Burger, and it had resulted in a yellow card, I would have thought it was harsh but fair. I'd also be thankful that my winger and fullback weren't yellow carded for a spear tackle and a high tackle later in the game. The moral of the story is, if you don't want a yellow card, don't put your hands near eyes and then kick a player on the ground. May sound unfair and an impossible task, but I've managed to not kick a player in every game I've ever played.

Alright, I do admit that when we did get an oppertunity we screwed it up. We were working so well last year, what happend? :/

Now it's off to Brisbane, if we lose it there, we're out.

The yellow card was harsh definitely, but unfortunately **** happens. With a track record like the Bok's have it's no wonder referees nail them in these situations. I don't think it cost the Boks the game, they were outmuscled, outplayed and havn't adapted to the new laws in the test arena very well. Not to mention the ABs seem to have SA sussed at the moment, 2 hidings anyone?.

Hey Hawk...this is a clear case of sour grapes. Although...you may have some valid concerns...it still does not alter the fact that the Boks did not adequately adjust their game play (especially in the 2nd test) and ultimately flew out of NZ without any points. Although your boys are playing a lackluster Wallaby team this weekend, the Aussies will be desperate to take advantage of a bruised and demoralised Bok team and execute the coup de grace. It is hoped that the great Bok pride and the reluctance to return to SA winless and totally embarrased can inspire the Bok's to beat the Aussies and return home with points and some pride. If not I have no doubt that Mr P de villiers will come under the concerned gaze of some SARU officials. You can't blame Ref officials all the time.​

So some troll-like Bokke supporters think they got a raw deal from Rolland aye?

Well you ain't seen nothing yet. You got Bryce Lawrence next week along with Keith Brown and Vinnie on the sidelines.

Bryce tends not to take any **** these days, especially after the bollocking he got from Paddy for failing to recommend a red card for that that dirty little eye-poking toe-rag Burger in the second Lions test last year.

If they try any of their usual stuff at Brisbane, you know, kicking players on the ground, stomping on their hands, sticking fingers in their eyes, head-butting them, shoulder charging them in the head, biting their ears, spitting and sucker-punching; the sort of stuff they are becoming famous for, then Brycie baby is going to bin their arses before they can say "Justice 4 Bakkies"

Good luck in Brisbane... you're going to need it....

PS: I can smell something.... its... its... its........ 49-NIL!
buttkick.gif

Last edited:
So some troll-like Bokke supporters think they got a raw deal from Rolland aye?

Well you ain't seen nothing yet. You got Bryce Lawrence next week along with Keith Brown and Vinnie on the sidelines.

Bryce tends not to take any **** these days, especially after the bollocking he got from Paddy for failing to recommend a red card for that that dirty little eye-poking toe-rag Burger in the second Lions test last year.

If they try any of their usual stuff at Brisbane, you know, kicking players on the ground, stomping on their hands, sticking fingers in their eyes, head-butting them, shoulder charging them in the head, biting their ears, spitting and sucker-punching; the sort of stuff you are becoming famous for, then Brycie baby is going to bin your player's arses before they can say "Justice 4 Bakkies"

Good luck in Brisbane... you're going to need it....

PS: I can smell something.... its... its... its........ 49-NIL!
buttkick.gif

Yikes, this will **** of a lot of Bok fans who have said nothing about the game.

First post but have been lurking for a while and have been impressed by the general standard of posts. Apart from all this ref criticizing rubbish of course. Something I haven't noticed mentioned was I felt it was a mistake to bring on Cruden. To not focus on negatives, what an amazing moment for Dagg the way he stepped up first with the steal in the air then a Jarryd Hayne like solo effort within a few minutes of getting on the field

Last edited:
Yikes, this will **** of a lot of Bok fans who have said nothing about the game.

Only the "troll-like" ones nick, only the "troll-like" ones.

This thing is, while my prose was somewhat cutting, all the examples I mentioned have, in fact happened.

Besides most of the "troll-like" posters are too thick to recognise a subtle dig when they read one.

I think it's important to remember about Toeava, he's only 24 years old. He's still a bit of a development himself, he's just been around a hell of a long time for a young guy.
He's really developed in my opinion. I thought that showed last year, as well as in this year's S14.

Not sure if he's injured or just out of favour.
Alright, I do admit that when we did get an oppertunity we screwed it up. We were working so well last year, what happend? :/

Now it's off to Brisbane, if we lose it there, we're out.
You should win. It'll probably be close though seeing as the Aussies have a good record there.

It's the ABs that should watch out for the Wallabies (apparently).

You should win. It'll probably be close though seeing as the Aussies have a good record there.

Eh? :huh:

We're not as **** as everyone makes us out to be at the moment! On form, we've won one ordinary game against the Irish, one cracker of a game against the English and very narrowly lost another good spectacle of rugby against the old enemy.

With the Bokke struggling the way they are, a strong set-piece and our creative youngsters I'm hoping we can get over the line by at least +15.

Wow, there are some really strong reactions to this game.

Personally I felt the Boks never deserved to win. We never did our basics right. Missing kick-offs, slow ruck ball, bad support play and poor defense.
Yes I agree that Rolland was WAY too lenient on McCaw and once again when we got into the All Blacks 22 they lived offside. You really got to admire the Blacks spoiling tactics. But that doesn't excuse poor counter-rucking and constantly getting overlapped.
It's no surprise that we got more front foot ball when Pienaar came on, Januarie is a one dimensional player who gets tunnel vision. Jean De Villiers looks completely lost on the wing, whilst Aplon was a constant threat when he came on. Those 2 changes must be kept permanent. Wynand Olivier is a dud. Can you believe he has over 30 caps?! No show from him again. Get de Jong in on the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts