• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks vs Springboks, July 17th 2010, Second Tri Nations Test

Were the Boks Ripped Off?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
all this blame on the ref (by players, coach, media and evidently a good portion of viewing public) is almost as embarrassing for South Africa as the games themselves. Is it possible to be so arrogant after one dubiously successful season to think that losing to the best team in the world is only possible with assistance from the ref?

I'm so over comments like this. I'm not blaming the ref. It was not the ref who missed a billion tackles, kicked the ball away all the time, and thought that the breakdown was a staring contest. Yes, the ref was bad. He made some shocking calls against both sides, but the decisions were slightly worse against us, but this was also mainly due to the fact that we just whined and moaned instead of soldiering on and not giving up.

Januarie was a big reason why we weren't more dangerous. When Pienaar came on, we were a thousand times better. Funny how the entire country knew this would happen, but the coach is just too proud to listen. Kankowski was also very good when he came on. Olivier has not pitched up in the national jersey, and needs to go. When we played a winger, in the winger position, a huge difference was also apparent.

Saying the ref was **** does not automatically mean he is the sole purpose we lost. Stop putting words into mouths and making your own conclusions. the fact is, Rolland WAS ****, BUT SO WERE THE BOKS.

I think Ranger needs more time. He could be an Umaga.He just needs to develop his skill set. Looking at the game, he kinda played in his own shell. Just a few brilliant touches here and there. He's got amazing talent and huge potential this boy, he just needs assurance to express himself at the same time, perfecting his basics.

It's hard for Messam to break into this Backrow. He needs to prove himself with whatever game time that hes got. Looking at the 2nd test, when he came on, he did well defensively, stole 2 balls. Same as Ranger, he needs to express himself. Couple that up with Vito, the backrow of the AllBlack Future. Just hopes he doesn't do a "Lauaki"(remember him)?

Well, my review is that I need to be South Africa's coach. This South African team isn't bad, but there are some obvious changes.
1. Tendai Mtawarira - Good scrummager and in my opinion, the highest work rate prop around.
2. John Smit - Until Victor Matfield is made captain, Smit needs to start, though he is not the best hooker around at the moment.
3. BJ Botha - Probably South Africa's best prop at the moment, weird how he didn't play in the previous games.
4. Dannie Roussow - Andries Bekker is injured. The South African lineout wasn't the pillar of strength that we're used to, which Bekker would have helped, and Bekker offers a bit more of a running game. Still, Roussow is good, and providing he can keep his temper down, will be fine.
5. Victor Matfield - Had a quiet few games, but is still the best line out jumper in the world and a great captain.
6. Schalk Burger - Had an alright game on Saturday. He scored a pretty good try, but he isn't offering as much at the break down as he needs to as an openside flanker.
7. Juan Smith - Bring him back! For all the talk about the depth in loose forward, Louw hasn't impressed at all and Potgieter hasn't been given the chance to test himself.
8. Pierre Spies - Despite the hype about him, he offers pretty little in the rucks, and his running game isn't used all that much against teams that apply pressure. He's a bit of a luxury, but if the Wallabies play a running game, he may come in handy.
9. Ruan Pienaar - PdV needs to keep him on as a halfback! He offers a good all round game, and with no Fourie du Preez, he's the next best thing.
10. Morne Steyn - Not made a huge deal of impact in his last few games, but he is reliable and if he gets good service from Pienaar, he'll be all good.
11. Bryan Habana - I don't think he has lost any pace at all, he was just never given any space in the last few games, and he seems to be marked very well. He seems in the same position as Rokocoko, but I think he is still invaluable to the team.
12. Juan de Jongh - With JdV getting a little time off, de Jongh is by far the best option. I'd prefer him to JdV at the moment, as he offers more of an attacking flare in the mid field, something which the Springboks are missing at the moment.
13. Jaque Fourie - For someone who is praised by South African's and himself to be the best centre in the world, he hasn't lived up to it so far, but he is still the best centre in South Africa and would offer a good defence against Australia.
14. Francois Hougaard - Yes, not Aplon. He was amazing I thought in this years Super 14, and he would be a very good option against Australia. Solid in ever aspect of his game.
15. Gio Aplon - Steyn is in France, **** him. Aplon would be the best attacking fullback South Africa has, and considering the game is now attack orientated, Aplon is the man for the job. He is also the best runner in South Africa's team when given space to run, which he wasn't on the wing against the All Blacks.

That's the team I'd field, all of whom are avalible.

Last edited:
I'm over what our team should be. We never field our strongest team. Since PdV took over, it's been like fighting a lost cause.

Thought Rolland got two early decisions wrong (the booking, and Conrad Smith handling on the floor for the second try) and this gave the ABs the headstart they needed.

Dont think it would have changed the result though. The Boks looked a mile off the pace of the game.

Thought Rolland got two early decisions wrong (the booking, and Conrad Smith handling on the floor for the second try) and this gave the ABs the headstart they needed.

Dont think it would have changed the result though. The Boks looked a mile off the pace of the game.

Hey, welcome back to the forum.

Can anyone get a screenshot of the hit Rene Ranger did. I can't remember who it was on. But he got penalised for having no arms in the tackle (Which he clearly did). If anyone can get an action shot of that I will be very happy lol!

As much as i HATE this guy's articles, this one is pretty spot-on in summarizing our situation...

http://www.keo.co.za/2010/07/19/time-for-honesty/

Those questions asked in Auckland were emphatically answered in Wellington – and the results aren't pleasing if you are South African.

The Springboks have taken a two-Test beating in New Zealand. Only 12 months ago the Boks embarrassed an All Blacks side that struggled with law interpretations, selection combinations and the physicality of the South Africans.

The roles are reversed. The Boks are the team whose selections are being questioned, who can't come to terms with law interpretations and whose physicality lacked menace.

This is not a time for panic, but it is one for honesty. Springbok veterans are playing like they have stuck around for a Test too many, and there aren't sadder sights than the greats of the game going a game too late when their pedigree is such the public believe they left the arena a match too early.

John Smit and Victor Matfield, two of the legends of Springbok rugby, seem to have aged a decade in the last fortnight. Matfield's excessive Super 14 workload has caught up with him, but in Smit's case it looks more complicated than an exhausting Super Rugby schedule.

Smit is a player whose career should be celebrated yet there were times in the last two Tests all you felt was pity. What an insult to a player who has given so much pleasure and made so much sacrifice. What an unpleasant situation.

Smit is the best modern Bok captain and a deserved World Cup winner, but the Smit parading in New Zealand in the last fortnight can't be compared to the primed athlete that led this country to success in Paris in 2007.

The Boks of 2007 felt they could be better and those that went onto victories in New Zealand in 2008 and 2009 felt there was still more to come. You wanted to believe them and the Bulls and Stormers dominance in the Super 14 added to that belief, but was it ever realistic to expect them to go on this long, let alone until the end of 2011?

What does Bok coach Peter de Villiers do? Does he continue to have faith in those responsible for past glories or does he look to youthful injection? The risk with the latter is the medication may only kick in after next year's World Cup. Then again there is no risk in maintaining the status quo, in player selection and game plan, as the results will be as devastating as they were in Toulouse, Dublin, Auckland and Wellington.

The red lights flashed on the end-of-year tour with emphatic defeats against France and Ireland. Fatigue was the excuse then. Jet lag was the escape in Auckland. But after Wellington there is nowhere to hide.

The Boks did not have the athleticism and fitness to counter the pace at which the All Blacks played both Tests. The combinations, in the back three, the midfield, the loose-trio and in the front row did not measure up to that of New Zealand's and Ricky Januarie as the stand-in for Fourie du Preez was simply not good enough.

The game plan was also not effective. All South Africa did was use one-off strike runners in the channel closest to the breakdown, and all New Zealand did was smash would be South African attackers back in the tackle. With no gain line advantage, no subsequent momentum and an ineffective halfback kicking game, the Boks, as in Auckland, were chasing a game they were not conditioned enough to catch.

Those in denial will blame Alain Rolland's refereeing performance, but he was not the one looking pedestrian on attack and lethargic in defence.

The Bok team that won the World Cup and cleaned up in last year's Tri Nations did not easily miss first-time tackles and when they worked a turn over they punished opposition with lethal counter attack.

There was not a similar mongrel in defence in the last fortnight and there was absolutely no counter attacking intent, let alone threat to the All Blacks.

Changes have to be made, even if some of them won't be enforced for Brisbane. Selecting a new back-three combination, a creative inside centre and Ruan Pienaar at scrumhalf will stop some of the bleeding against Australia this weekend, but it isn't the cure for what happened in New Zealand.

Can anyone get a screenshot of the hit Rene Ranger did. I can't remember who it was on. But he got penalised for having no arms in the tackle (Which he clearly did). If anyone can get an action shot of that I will be very happy lol!
I posted this earlier in the thread...

2min 10 in

Last edited by a moderator:
In this weekend's Currie Cup matches I've seen a couple of players who definitely deserve a chance.

Bjorn Basson (Griquas)
Michael Rhodes, Keegan Daniel and Craig Burden (Sharks)
Francois Hougaard, Gerhard van den Heever, Dewald Potgieter (Blue Bulls)
Dewaldt Duvenhage, Tiaan Liebenberg, Juan de Jongh (Western Province)
Juan Smith, Heinrich Brüssow, Wian du Preez (Cheetahs)

So many players that deserve a chance if you look at the lack of quality brought by the current squad lately.

I am not saying these players will bring us the World Cup next year, but everything is better than the washed out players mentioned above.

You have a couple of problems there.

Rhodes is definitely nowhere near international level, and dare I say he just makes CC level. Same goes with Burden, cept he's slightly better.
Juan Smith wasn't supposed to be playing until the return leg, whilst Brussouw and Wian (I believe) are both injured

I know that some of them are injured and like I said, not everyone of them will definitely make it at international level but with the World Cup being a year away maybe it's time to replace some of the old lads with a couple of youngsters. Rhodes is only 22. I think Craig Burden is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Let's inject some Griquas into our EOTY tour, Pretorius,Viljoen and Basson especially!

I never said he was bad, unless you think that I think the Currie Cup has a bad standard of play.
But yes, he is not a bad player, but I doubt he would crack the nod as a first choice hooker at any team at S14 level, or make that S15 now. He has pace but lacks the adequate abilities that a hooker should have, mainly his throwing and hooking.

@ Sker

Hope you are not making that statement based on how he (Sarel) played against the Cheetahs.

15. Francois Steyn
14. Shadow van der Heever
13. Jaque Fourie
12. Juan de Jongh
11. Francois Hougaard (Habana has done jack)
10. Morne Steyn

9. Ruan Pienaar

8. Ryan Kankowski (As much as i love Superman, he has kryptonite in his undies at the moment)
7. Francois Louw
6. Schalk Burger
5. Victor Matfield
4. Danie Rossouw
3. BJ Botha
2. John Smit - sigh @ formality
1. Gurthro Steenkamp

That's the team i want to see.

Good to see Kankowski in your fav. line up Jericho!!!

I love Kanko dude. I don't like these slow poke no. 8's that fart around the ruck (Like Duane Vermeulen) I need a fast explosive runner there! The 8th man is the forward's equivalent of the winger.

Well, let's hope Ryan gets a chance soon because he really deserves one especially now that Spies is lacking form

Kankowski is a great player and really deserves some more game time.

And the 'Stating the obvious-award' goes to.......

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts