• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks vs Springboks, July 17th 2010, Second Tri Nations Test

Were the Boks Ripped Off?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I played against him in an under 16 tournament once where he got player of the tournament. I know that he is good. Just not "make the All Blacks at 20 over Hosea Gear" good.
You have to put it in perspective when i say hes not that fast, he was comparing him to Doug Howlett. I know that Guildford has pace, but Howlett was an actual sprinter, he could have concentrated on sprinting and made that his career. Guildford does not have that kind of pace.

great explanation, must be the reason I always agree with what you say!..

due to the circumstances I see Rokocoko will be fit for the game... i'm not too sure about Cowan so my squad changes

15)Muliaina
14)Jane
13)Smith
12)Nonu
11)Rokocoko
10)Carter
9)Weepu
8)Read
7)McCaw
6)Kaino
5)Donnelly
4)Thorn
3)O.Franks
2)Mealamu
1)Woodcock

16)B.Franks
17)Flynn
18)Whitelock
19)Messam
20)Cowan
21)Ranger
22)Dagg

I played against him in an under 16 tournament once where he got player of the tournament. I know that he is good. Just not "make the All Blacks at 20 over Hosea Gear" good.
You have to put it in perspective when i say hes not that fast, he was comparing him to Doug Howlett. I know that Guildford has pace, but Howlett was an actual sprinter, he could have concentrated on sprinting and made that his career. Guildford does not have that kind of pace.
It's pretty hard to measure just speed when watching rugby. I don't think Guildford is slow, and if you put him in a 100m sprint against someone like Hosea Gear, it may be close. However when playing rugby, there is very rarely an oppertunity to just run in a streight line and then score. What Hosea Gear has that Guildford just doesn't is Gear can break and fend tackles very well. If you watch Guildford play, he gets himself into most situations when he is trapped and gets tackled. He very rarely breaks the line or steps a player to start any kind of attack. What he does do is get himself in the right place for the last pass, and then finishes the try. That is why I think the comparison to Howlett is a good one. Because Howlett was a very potent finisher, but rarely was involved in starting the tries, he just finished them off, and to his credit he did it a lot. Guildford is a lot like that for me, he will always take the last pass and run a bit to score, but other than that, he will not be involved much in the build up to any tries, which Hosea Gear is. For this reason, I always rated Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson and even an on form Joe Rokocoko over Doug Howlett, because all of them could pull out magic to create tries for them selves or others, when there didn't seem to be anything on. For this same reason I would pick Hosea Gear over Zac Guildford. Hosea will produce some magic moments, with runs from nothing, and will score tries from it. Guildford would be there to finish the try, but that's about it in an attacking sence.

Springboks:

15 Zane Kirchner
14 Jean de Villiers
13 Jaque Fourie
12 Wynand Olivier
11 Bryana Habana
10 Morne Steyn

9 Ricky Januarie

8 Pierre Spies
7 Francois Louw
6 Schalk Burger
5 Victor Matfield
4 Danie Rossouw
3 BJ Botha
2 John Smit (c)
1 Gurthro Steenkamp.

Subs: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Andries Bekker, 19 Dewald Potgieter, 20 Ruan Pienaar, 21 Butch James, 22 Gio Aplon.

De villiers still at 14, No Aplon starting, and still persisting with januarie.

NZ 35 - SA 9

Well done PdV. you really are a fantastic coach.

due to the circumstances I see Rokocoko will be fit for the game... i'm not too sure about Cowan so my squad changes

15)Muliaina
14)Jane
13)Smith
12)Nonu
11)Rokocoko
10)Carter
9)Weepu
8)Read
7)McCaw
6)Kaino
5)Donnelly
4)Thorn
3)O.Franks
2)Mealamu
1)Woodcock

16)B.Franks
17)Flynn
18)Whitelock
19)Messam
20)Cowan
21)Ranger
22)Dagg

Seems like a good choice, really hoping Messam got some more play time.

Springboks:

15 Zane Kirchner
14 Jean de Villiers
13 Jaque Fourie
12 Wynand Olivier
11 Bryana Habana
10 Morne Steyn

9 Ricky Januarie

8 Pierre Spies
7 Francois Louw
6 Schalk Burger
5 Victor Matfield
4 Danie Rossouw
3 BJ Botha
2 John Smit (c)
1 Gurthro Steenkamp.

Subs: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Andries Bekker, 19 Dewald Potgieter, 20 Ruan Pienaar, 21 Butch James, 22 Gio Aplon.

De villiers still at 14, No Aplon starting, and still persisting with januarie.

NZ 35 - SA 9

Well done PdV. you really are a fantastic coach.

The squad doesn't look that bad, they just shouldn't give the AB space to play their game.

Zane Kirchner, Jean de Villiers, Jaque Fourie, Wynand Oliver, Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn, Ricky Januarie, Pierre Spies, Francois Louw, Schalk Burger, Victor Matfield, Danie Rossouw, CJ van der Linde, John Smit (captain), Gurthro Steenkamp.
Reserves: Chiliboy Ralepelle, BJ Botha, Andries Bekker, Ryan Kankowski, Ruan Pienaar, Butch James, Gio Aplon.

Does that moron ever learn? JdV again on the wing, again not using the speed of Aplon. Why is ***** James still part of the Springbok-squad? He hasn't done anything besides *****-slapping opponents for the last 3 years.

This will be another win for the All Blacks.

Howlett was an actual sprinter, he could have concentrated on sprinting and made that his career.

Howlett wasn't THAT fast. I remember him getting burnt by Ben Cohen a couple of years ago... Or perhaps he had lost his speed by then.

Anyway, JDV should have been at no. 12 with Aplon playing at 14. Obviously PdV thinks playing guys out of position wins test matches.

Howlett wasn't THAT fast. I remember him getting burnt by Ben Cohen a couple of years ago... Or perhaps he had lost his speed by then.

Anyway, JDV should have been at no. 12 with Aplon playing at 14. Obviously PdV thinks playing guys out of position wins test matches.
I remember when he first came on he was very quick. He burnt Jason Robinson to score quite a good try in one match. The last couple of years both Cohen and Howlett are hardly as quick as they once were. But getting "burnt" is all very subjective to who has a head start, more energy or more motivation.

Yeah. to be fair, Howlett didn't really look very 'interested' in trying to tackle him now that you say that.

Last edited by a moderator:
+ Cohen used to be a pretty fantastic winger!

Cohen was brilliant. Did he get fat? What happened?

* Awaits Bullit...*

Cohen was brilliant. Did he get fat? What happened?

Ahh, well he seemed not to be as motivated after winning the RWC, and was eventually dropped from England's 2005 Six Nations side. He made a bit of a come back in 2006 & 2007 but chose not to join the 2007 RWC team with England for family reasons. Not sure what's happened to him now, I think he's still playing for Sale and wanted to rejoin the England team for the upcoming RWC, but is a long way from it. He raced a wolf not too long ago, but lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
10.68 for the 100m! thats Blitz! Beats Pierre Spies by 0.02 seconds! :D

He ran a 10.6 as a teenager, to put it in perspective NZs 100m sprint champion for the last 10 or so years has been James Dolphin, and his PB is 10.4. Howlett was among the fastest guys in the country outside of rugby.

I highly doubt Spies sprint times aye.. i mean i'm actually a fan of his on the field but i think someone has been exaggerating a little bit. His wikipedia page is a huge **** fest, the part where it says his bodyfat % is 6% is where alarm bells should start ringing. Bodybuilders dont have percentages that low, let alone athletes that actually need fat.

It also doesn't even say where or how he clocked 10.7, was it after training once while Victor Matfield timed him on his wristwatch? Howletts time was from the NZ under 20s athletics championships, his 10.68 time is the fastest he has gone in competition he has probably gone faster while he was training or after training one time..

Last edited:

He runs 100m in 10.70 seconds!?

I knew he was a very fast #8 and former wing, but I didn't realise he was faster than Jonah Lomu, Bryan Habana and Tom Varndell to name just a few very quick wingers.

Rewatched the game. There were too many occasions for which JDV tried to go for the glory-intercept which ended up in a blown assignment and space for the ABs.

I dunno, but I think he's buyintg into his own hype. :roll:

I just got that time after watching that Rugby fan club vid on RD. I doubt he is really that fast. lol. But i do think Spies could out-run Habana.

He's certainly a big man who can run. I'd make a guess he can run around 11.20 - 11.10 in 100m. People seem to think that running the 100m in under 11 seconds is a must for people who look very quick on the field. In truth, most wingers would run it about 11.30+. It's not slow at all. You see a lot of wingers in England that train in sprinting such as Verndell or Monye, and they have personal bests around the 10.8 second mark. Once they stop training for sprints as a kid, they do slow down a bit. You hear about wingers who run great times as a kid like Jonah Lomu (10.8seconds he claims), Doug Howlett (10.68), Ugo Monye (claims 10.60) and Tonderai Chavhanga (something crazy like 10.35), but I'd be very suprised if once they stop constant sprint training, diet etc, they could rerun those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts