• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BLIC - Full version.....

Originally posted by ak47+Aug 11 2005, 11:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Aug 11 2005, 11:02 AM)</div>
Originally posted by NZL fan@Aug 10 2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Los Lover@Aug 10 2005, 05:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
@Aug 10 2005, 01:00 PM
Started a world cup last night on test hardness (wanted to try the one dayers again).

First game NZL(me) vrs Holland.

Made it a 30 over a side game to try and give the comp. AI time to post a decent score...................

.....I bowled first and in the 17th over I got Holland all out for 8 runs
<

Harris got 7 wickets for 1 run 
<

I won in 5 balls.........needless to say I quit the tourney and went back to playing my saved test match.

against the might of Holland?

well done.

<

anyway....

playing 50 overs for an odi, or at least 40...is the only way to balance the contest.....I believe odis are actuallt this long in real life anyway. The ai blocks at the beginning of odis to get its confidence up....

No, it is not ideal....but you show it up when you play 30 overs or less as you are doing.

<

Even Holland are capable of scoring more then 8 runs.................
<

Reading through the cricket forums on other websites it doesn't appear to make a difference in one dayers whether its set on 50 overs or not.

It basically blocks and then it tries to up the runrate (after 30-40 odd overs of scoring not a lot) by scoring boundaries, but usually this just means wickets fall at an alarming rate.

I just think it is poor programming - confidence quickly goes up and down like a yo yo in the game so it has nothing to do with the computer "getting its confidence up" (ie. it doesn't take 10 overs to get your confidence up in the game, more like a few balls).

Guys on planetcricket.net are pretty good at modding games (even made EA cricket 2004 play very well), so PC players should expect massive improvements in the one day play once they get the time to change things around.
i agree to some extent

but then again i do not

Have any of you played the world xi series

I chased 50 runs in a 10 over match against Atlantic XI and was taken to the 3rd last ball

Next match - I chased 67 runs in a 10 over match against Oceanic XI..2nd last over
Next match - I chased 69 runs in a 10 over match against Asia XI down to the last over.

Next match i play the northern hemispehere in a test match - I dunno about you guys but this world XI series has got me trembling down to the last few balls...they play harder, better and is realistic in relation to the Holland scoreline...if u think Holland can score more than half a region XI would you an idiot.

also in each of these 10 over matches the most wickets i have taken is 4......so its not as if these scorelines are the max they can get as a team in a longer match.

THIS IS ALL IN TEST LEVEL....so dont come and say a run a ball against these rep teams is easy...coz its not. [/b]
OK here are my first three games of the challenge on "test" difficulty, 10 overs a side games........

1. vrs African 11: They batted first and scored 12-3 (they were 1-1 of 5 overs)??. I lost one wicket on my way to an easy victory inside 2 overs............

2. vrs Atlantic 11: They won the toss (again) and scored 28-5. I won with 5 overs to spare and 7 wickets standing.

3. vrs Oceanic 11: They won the toss (yet again) and scored 48-7 (Astle a quick fire 26). I got the total with two overs to spare with only 3 wickets in hand.

Now that was a little more difficult. However there were two overs bowled by a spinner (cant remember who) where all his balls were basically beyond reach of my bat (ie. very, very wide but not called as such). So basically I only had 8 overs to chase the total which meant a loss of a few more wickets then I normally do.

Originally posted by NZL fan+Aug 12 2005, 08:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Aug 12 2005, 08:31 AM)</div>
Originally posted by ak47@Aug 11 2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by NZL fan@Aug 10 2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Los Lover@Aug 10 2005, 05:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
@Aug 10 2005, 01:00 PM
Started a world cup last night on test hardness (wanted to try the one dayers again).

First game NZL(me) vrs Holland.

Made it a 30 over a side game to try and give the comp. AI time to post a decent score...................

.....I bowled first and in the 17th over I got Holland all out for 8 runs
<

Harris got 7 wickets for 1 run 
<

I won in 5 balls.........needless to say I quit the tourney and went back to playing my saved test match.

against the might of Holland?

well done.

<

anyway....

playing 50 overs for an odi, or at least 40...is the only way to balance the contest.....I believe odis are actuallt this long in real life anyway. The ai blocks at the beginning of odis to get its confidence up....

No, it is not ideal....but you show it up when you play 30 overs or less as you are doing.

<

Even Holland are capable of scoring more then 8 runs.................
<

Reading through the cricket forums on other websites it doesn't appear to make a difference in one dayers whether its set on 50 overs or not.

It basically blocks and then it tries to up the runrate (after 30-40 odd overs of scoring not a lot) by scoring boundaries, but usually this just means wickets fall at an alarming rate.

I just think it is poor programming - confidence quickly goes up and down like a yo yo in the game so it has nothing to do with the computer "getting its confidence up" (ie. it doesn't take 10 overs to get your confidence up in the game, more like a few balls).

Guys on planetcricket.net are pretty good at modding games (even made EA cricket 2004 play very well), so PC players should expect massive improvements in the one day play once they get the time to change things around.

i agree to some extent

but then again i do not

Have any of you played the world xi series

I chased 50 runs in a 10 over match against Atlantic XI and was taken to the 3rd last ball

Next match - I chased 67 runs in a 10 over match against Oceanic XI..2nd last over
Next match - I chased 69 runs in a 10 over match against Asia XI down to the last over.

Next match i play the northern hemispehere in a test match - I dunno about you guys but this world XI series has got me trembling down to the last few balls...they play harder, better and is realistic in relation to the Holland scoreline...if u think Holland can score more than half a region XI would you an idiot.

also in each of these 10 over matches the most wickets i have taken is 4......so its not as if these scorelines are the max they can get as a team in a longer match.

THIS IS ALL IN TEST LEVEL....so dont come and say a run a ball against these rep teams is easy...coz its not.
OK here are my first three games of the challenge on "test" difficulty, 10 overs a side games........

1. vrs African 11: They batted first and scored 12-3 (they were 1-1 of 5 overs)??. I lost one wicket on my way to an easy victory inside 2 overs............

2. vrs Atlantic 11: They won the toss (again) and scored 28-5. I won with 5 overs to spare and 7 wickets standing.

3. vrs Oceanic 11: They won the toss (yet again) and scored 48-7 (Astle a quick fire 26). I got the total with two overs to spare with only 3 wickets in hand.

Now that was a little more difficult. However there were two overs bowled by a spinner (cant remember who) where all his balls were basically beyond reach of my bat (ie. very, very wide but not called as such). So basically I only had 8 overs to chase the total which meant a loss of a few more wickets then I normally do. [/b]
not a bad effort.....

But they are getting harder and u still got Asia, north, south and world to go.

in my battle against the north last night (they have harmy and aktar)

they were 1-1 after an early wicket
i dropped a catch and was punished with a 50 run p'ship
took 2 quick wickets and they are now 3-101 - man i was in for the long haul
got some breakthroughs and at 5-150 i new i could nail them soon
thankgod - i rolled flintoff and al-huq and after that they have nobody and they totalled 158........79overs

this is my biggest chase i have ever had to do, and i gotto face voodoo harmy and aktar

harmy rolls me from the get go

i am 1-0
harmy strikes again..............2-20
i hold aktar at bay, and rally at 2-60
harmy strikes back............3-100.............nearly the same as Norths innings
ak47 come to the crease and with aktar out of the attack, i thought i could post some runs
goooorne - clean bowled flintoff slow ball......4-100
i rally a little with gilly and clarke and at 4-150 look like dominating the match
its late and i am getting tired...lose wit........get rolled............6-160....the match is back in the balance

i total 190 to get a 40 odd run lead into the afternoon of the 2nd day

awesome match, and very much in the balance and will continue over the weekend

p.s a mate of mine whom has smashed blic and has nearly done everything.....always declares at around 200......just to get the match over (hence his near clocking), and he did this against world xi...declared at 180....
world xi are currently 2-160.....its the 3rd day and he is looking down the barrell of a draw.............

double wicket is an absoulte crack up. I was bowling meduimg pace with fleming to pointing and symonds. I will just say the ball dissappeared to all parts near the end of the innings.

I was doing alright until about the 5th over or so then fleming started getting smashed. It proabbly didn't help that i was experimenting with bowling and bowled quite a few down leg that went for 4 or 6 quite regularly. I bowled an absoulte ripper of a ball with vettori. started it on leg and turned it in between the bat and pad and took out middle stump. it was only on village difficulty but still th joy of beating and confusing the batsmen was priceless.

batting was bit tricky to begin with but i soon learned what shot to play at what ball and on what length. it was an awesome feeling smashing ponting and symonds into the stand for 6. i also found that movement in the crease is very useful to help play some shots. It can go both ways though i moved to far once and tried to play a shot and got bowled because i had moved to far over. These are just some observations i have made while experimeting in a 10 over double wicket match.

Got my copy today, just gonna download all the official kits and player names first, then Ill give my mini review, not that anyone will give a f***.

The Cricket Balls going straight to the Pool Room.

a different opinion of the game would be worth reading. its been interesting reading los lovers aks and nzl fans posts about the game all different views but agree its a very good game. not sure what i will do with the cricket ball. at the moment its sitting on my desk. I will proabbly put it somewhere safe as a mento of this great game.

yeah we got cricket ball as part of our prizees. dukes ones with Brina Laras signature on one side with brian lara internation cricket 2005 underneath. might be good to sell on trade me.

Originally posted by esoj@Aug 12 2005, 04:23 PM
yeah we got cricket ball as part of our prizees. dukes ones with Brina Laras signature on one side with brian lara internation cricket 2005 underneath. might be good to sell on trade me.
sounds pretty cool man

i have never seen a duke ball till this game

well my ashes is down to the fifth and the series has had more twists and turns than spaghetti junction!!

I lost the first, won the second and was spanked by an innings and 200 runs in the third (they got 659 with their only show at the crease).......

Then the fourth was lost to rain and I was robbed of a chance after diciplined bowling held Oz to 340 off 168 overs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<

Yeah, no, I am serious.

I bowled them out...then the rain came and stole a day and a half and put me in the fourth day, I smashed 389 and left them a lead of 40-odd runs and about 15 overs...but there was no miracle..... so it was a draw with them finishing at 80 for 1!!
<

So they took a 2-1 lead into the 5th test....

I won the toss

I decided to bat and in a art-immitating-life-but-choicer moment...I fought back from 230 for 5 and posted 684 all out!!!!!!!!! Wahoooooooooooooooo!!

Vaughan got 245, Pietersen 100 and Flintoff 72......'loslover' got 42!! Damn it!!! (caught at first slip for about the 4th time in the series....discipline!!!
<

I saved at the completion of my innings and am in the box seat to win the test now if I can get it right........

Funny to think after all this - I am aiming for a drawn series. Cricket is indeed a funny game.

All you guys playing one dayers forget that you attack because you only have ten or twenty overs to bat and will likely not lose all your wickets.....That is rubbish!! It is you AND the ai that need a self-examination. I don't field with a fine leg in one dayers and I play 20 over minimum, mostly 40 over one dayers.....unless you bat properly, you expose yourself to their more disciplined approach and ability to attack late with wickets in hand. ALSO, it is my belief that, like in the other cricket games, the ai plays better at county than test as a batting unit, because timing etc is easier.

I lost my 20 over one dayer (the 3rd) when I batted to quickly and got all out in the 14th over for 150.......Zimbabwe (yes, Zimbabwe) chased it down in the 16th over, Flower having belted 83 off of 4o-something balls. County level - no fine leg, except in test matches.
It is not the ai alone that disappoints you - it is your inability to accept the true challenge that you insist is lacking.

As for tests - only people who don't like test cricket could not love it....and the one on ones (considering the bowling arsenal at your disposal) are the true test of gaming skill and co-ordination.

I maintain this is an 8+ game...

but needs (not to be great - it is already - but to be perfect):

- ruthless ai in terms of running singles and running on dives etc..
- ability to autoplay (nothing to do with tedium, but to create extra challenges etc).
- ability to play three or more in ONE team (like in a batting line-up).
- more stats....and ability to see 50s etc for your created player unless I have missed something...
- overthrows....I thought they were in there!?
**edit**
plus - throws to keeper and bowler - done by timing relevant button
- follow sixes all the way but cut away with x button push if want to
- timing bar for dives and brief control of fielder in certain situations
- more variations for created players look physically (height, face etc)

<

Otherwise I'm happy - if I waste the opposition it is because I am awesome!!
<

Do you see Aussie complaining about weak opposition!? - guess they can't now anyway.

**edit**

Note - for those worried about ai in one dayers etc...I just played my first game of my first world cup, test level for the first time,versus Pakistan..

Nearly every ball was unplayable and at 150+ from lmost every bowler - some were 160+...
I fielded with no fine leg on the boundary like a pussy does...only occasionally inside the circle there...and they racked up 178/6 in 20 overs - Anwar = 103*

Then I was continuosly bamboozled and rattled out of there until I had succumbed for 76 in the 18th....

<

Nothing wrong with the challenge in the one dayers either....unless you are anal (but even then!!) - I like this game even more now...
<
...all the official grab and look was awesome too!! Wahooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

County level batting is getting occasionally too easy in tests...but against aussie is just right for bowling...oh well - I'll step it up anyway.
<

Building up the created player stats and the emotion involved with your player in tests etc is worth an 8 out of 10 alone IMO.....adds so much to the emotion etc....This game needs a few tweaks, things that can be easily added...it's sequel will be the greatest sports ***le of all time.

IMO the Graphics could be alot better, ecspecially for the Player Faces. Thats the Only Area EA has them in, while BLIC has way better animations, EA seems to be better at everything else in that aspect.

Saluted freaks, I've never played video cricket in my life -- how long does the average game last. I know you can select how many overs and what not, but, like, Madden matches tend to last between 45 minutes and an hour in real time. Whereas with cricket, if you were playing a normal test series, how long is that in real time?

not sure exactly as i haven't played a test series yet. Los Lover mentioned that it was taking him about and hour and a half to bowl 90 overs which is roughly one full day in a test match. so roughly about 8 hours for a test.

after playing a couple of odi games on county I think I am now ready to play a test match. I have created myself so I am looking forward to playing in a test match and hopefully making some runs. I haven't quite figured out bowling completely but I have learned enough to try a test match. Batting is quite good now its just playing the right shot to the right ball now. batting against aus in an odi taught me that lol mcGrath and lee ripped me apart in about 10 ovrs in an odi match. this really is a great game and will take me awhile to truely master I feel, not to mention the challenge of getting my created player stats up from a crap first timer up to a goodish player that should be a challenge and take awhile just in itself

The Graphics are Crap, the Commentry is awful and theres not much to do, but god damn, I havent had this much fun in a Sports Video Game since EPSN NHL 2K5.

and it also helps that you and i got it for free. true there aren't lots of game modes but it does well with what it has got and is very fun.

im gonna be getting it for $8

i also bought proevo4 and tonyhawks underground for $8 each!

Did you have to provide the Blank CD's or did your Asian Friend throw those in for free?

lol. hes getting ripped off at $8 must be coming from overseas at that price. The game is so good I would defintely would have paid for it if I didn't win it. piracy in any form hurts developers especially ones like swordfish that are taking a gamble on cricket which has a relatively small market. in the end piracy could cost everyone the developer may not make any more games the people that bought the game and wanted another version may miss out and those that pirate miss out as well because there won'tbe a next version of the game. som piracy will always happen but its best kept to a mininum so that future versiosn of the game are made

man it is a quick game!!

have played...only at night....since getting less than two weeks ago and having random nights with ZERO play:

a world cup
a 5 match ashes series
a knockout trophy
a 3 test/3 one day series versus Zimbabwe
have started a Test level WC (lost first game
<
..was annihilated really! lol)
two classic matches
three two wicket games
a one on one test
two world XI games....

If I had EA on xox, I would have quit half way through one test and then defecated on it and returned to sender

<