Double injury blow hits Ryan Jones & Leigh Halfpenny

TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Wales have suffered two more blows for the autumn Tests with Ryan Jones out of the opener against Australia and Leigh Halfpenny out of all four games.

Jones has a torn calf and Halfpenny ankle ligament damage.

In Jones' absence, hooker Matthew Rees will lead them for the first time against Australia on 6 November.

Wing Aled Brew becomes a full squad member while Lee Byrne (hand) is already out of the Tests against Australia, South Africa and Fiji.

Back-row Jones has only recently returned to action with the Ospreys having recovered from a knee injury while Halfpenny suffered his injury in Cardiff Blues' 16-10 defeat by the Scarlets on Friday.

Losing Halfpenny reduces Wales' options to replace Byrne at full-back. Byrne hopes to be fit to face the All Blacks on 27 November having been given an "outside chance" of making that game.

But Gatland has more injury concerns over Rob McCusker, Bradley Davies, Richie Rees and George North.

Scarlets back-rower McCusker is out of the squad altogether to undergo a hernia operation and will not be replaced at this stage - although be available for the Llanelli region against Glasgow on Friday before undergoing surgery.

Uncapped Scarlets wing George North hopes to start running next week in his continued recovery from what his region describe as a "minor stress fracture" to a leg.

Lock Bradley Davies and scrum-half and Blues team-mate Richie Rees have minor hamstring complaints.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9120272.stm

Bloody hell. We were going into this AI series with a very healthy squad, only Jamie Roberts and Ian Evans out of contention due to injury. Now in the last few days Byrne, Halfpenny and McCusker are out, while Ryan Jones misses the first game and there are doubts over Bradley Davies and Richie Rees.

Ryan Jones isn't a huge loss imo considering his form at 8. But it does leave out back-row a little thin now. It'll be interesting to see how Mathew Rees goes at captain. Not sure why Gatland hasn't bought Turnbull in to replace McCusker, probably because it'll be Powell coming in to replace him after the Aus game. Halfpenny's a blow, but there are able deputies in Brew, Prydie, Czekaj or North if fit. Loosing Bradley Davies would be a majour blow though, so I hope he's fit for all the games.

A least all the injures appear to be minor ones, so they should all be fine in time for the 6 nations.

i think Goughy would be the ideal replacement to slot in in the absence of Bradley Davies if his injury means he can't play and maybe Charteris should be called up as cover. Hopefully both Richie Rees and Brad Davies are fit in time though, they only have minor hamstring injuries so it would be good if they managed to recover in time as they are important to Wales. Got plenty of quality players who could replace them if worse comes to worse though.

Bleh. Same story every year really, always seem to pick up loads of injuries in the run up to the AI's. What team would you guys pick for the Australia game then?
Assuming that Rees and Davies will be fit, I'd pick:

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees (c)
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Alun-Wyn Jones
6. Sam Warburton/Dan Lydiate
7. Martyn Williams
8. Jonathan Thomas
9. Richie Rees (he's played more rugby that Phillips, and has been playing very well)
10. Stephen Jones
11. Shane Williams
12. Jonathan Davies
13. James Hook
14. Will Harries/Aled Brew
15. Chris Czekaj (Really dont want Prydie to start, it's daft to start someone who's barely played for the Ospreys this year)

Bleh. Same story every year really, always seem to pick up loads of injuries in the run up to the AI's. What team would you guys pick for the Australia game then?
Assuming that Rees and Davies will be fit, I'd pick:

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees (c)
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Alun-Wyn Jones
6. Sam Warburton/Dan Lydiate
7. Martyn Williams
8. Jonathan Thomas
9. Richie Rees (he's played more rugby that Phillips, and has been playing very well)
10. Stephen Jones
11. Shane Williams
12. Jonathan Davies
13. James Hook
14. Will Harries/Aled Brew
15. Chris Czekaj (Really dont want Prydie to start, it's daft to start someone who's barely played for the Ospreys this year)

1. Gethin Jenkins
  2. Mathew Rees (C)
  3. Adam Jones
  4. Alun Wyn-Jones
  5. Bradley Davies
  6. Dan Lydiate
  7. Martyn Williams
  8. John Thomas
  9. Mike Phillips
  10. Stephen Jones
  11. Shane Williams
  12. Andrew Bishop
  13. James Hook
  14. Will Harries
  15. Chris Czekaj

This is how Gatland will play it I feel, despite for me the likes of Richie Rees and John Davies merit inclusion on form, I think he will go for the tried and tested route. Although Bishop is also on form, tough decision to make. Depending on the Welsh gameplan will determine who plays at 7 ... if they want an open game at 7 than Martyn is your man, if not then Warburton is. Start with Williams and bring Warburton on off the bench if the open game plan does not work.

Hook'll start at 15 with Harries on one wing and Shane on the other. Bish and Davies will make a solid centre pairing, although you've got to wonder where the creativity will come from without Hooky. However, I'd pick-

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Martyn Williams
8. Jonathan Thomas
9. Richie Rees
10. Stephen Jones
11. Shane Williams
12. James Hook
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Aled Brew
15. Chris Czekaj/Wil Harries

I would pick Harries if Cooper starts at 10, because he'll put up less highballs than Giteau would, meaning he won't suffer because of his height.

Ryan Jones is a big blow, imo.
While JT is a decent player, Ryan Jones on form is much better (imo) and Jones is (or was, at least) doing well at Ospreys. Good that he's only out for one match, but as above, leaves the backrow a little short on numbers, especially with Powell not in for this match,

Halfpenny, while obviously disappointing that he's out, isn't as big a blow. He's a talented player, and it's useful having another boot on the team, but it'll give a chance for a fringe winger *coughBREWcough* to get some time.

Will be interesting to see where Gatland puts Prydie. I remember someone mentioning before that Prydie was listed as a FB in the Wales squad, and he played there last week for Ospreys, but his Wales caps have all been at wing.
I think 14. Brew, 15. Prydie, 22. Czekaj is a possibility (not neccesarily my choice, but i wouldn't be surprised to see Gatland choose this)

I'd start Harries on the wing over Brew, he is a better player, IMHO.
Halfpenny's defence is good for a wing, much better than Shane. One on one, Czekaj and Prydie are iffy, and unpredictable with the boot.
Also, without Leigh, we lose our only other long range place kicker, the other being Gav. Hook is good within 40-45M and Stephen within 15M :D

Apart from the Ospreys and Wales, I think the majority of Prydie's experience is at FB.

Ryan Jones is a big blow, imo.
While JT is a decent player, Ryan Jones on form is much better (imo) and Jones is (or was, at least) doing well at Ospreys. Good that he's only out for one match, but as above, leaves the backrow a little short on numbers, especially with Powell not in for this match,

Halfpenny, while obviously disappointing that he's out, isn't as big a blow. He's a talented player, and it's useful having another boot on the team, but it'll give a chance for a fringe winger *coughBREWcough* to get some time.

Will be interesting to see where Gatland puts Prydie. I remember someone mentioning before that Prydie was listed as a FB in the Wales squad, and he played there last week for Ospreys, but his Wales caps have all been at wing.
I think 14. Brew, 15. Prydie, 22. Czekaj is a possibility (not neccesarily my choice, but i wouldn't be surprised to see Gatland choose this)

Disagree with what you say about Ryan Jones being a better player than Jon Thomas. I respect your opinion but I think JT brings more aggression and is a better carrier of the ball as well as being far more experienced than Ryan Jones.

Disagree with what you say about Ryan Jones being a better player than Jon Thomas. I respect your opinion but I think JT brings more aggression and is a better carrier of the ball as well as being far more experienced than Ryan Jones.

Cannot argue more experience ... how many Lions Tours has JT been on ...

Cannot argue more experience ... how many Lions Tours has JT been on ...

Well to an extent yes you can. Admittedly Ryan Jones has been on a Lions Tour where as JT hasn't, but JT has been in and around the Wales set-up for longer than Ryan Jones. JT made his debut on summer tour to Australia in 03 while Ryan Jones made his debut in 2004. JT has 58 caps for Wales and is widely remembered for his awesome performance against the All Blacks in the 03 world cup. Ryan Jones has 43 Welsh caps plus 3 Lions Caps from the 2005 tour. Although he has 3 caps for the Lions if I remember correctly he was only in the squad after being called up because of injury, not taking anything away from him though as after all 3 Lions caps are 3 Lions caps. But all I'm saying as this proves is that JT is infact more experienced than Ryan Jones.

Surely captaining Wales counts for something?
I'd say neither can win a "more experienced" argument, they both have a substantial amount of the stuff

Surely captaining Wales counts for something?
I'd say neither can win a "more experienced" argument, they both have a substantial amount of the stuff

I suppose being Captain does and doesn't count for something. But as for more experience the stats do speak for themselves but it is an argument that neither of us can agree on. What we can all agree on though is that they are both really good players and whoever starts when Ryan is back from injury will do a good job

Well to an extent yes you can. Admittedly Ryan Jones has been on a Lions Tour where as JT hasn't, but JT has been in and around the Wales set-up for longer than Ryan Jones. JT made his debut on summer tour to Australia in 03 while Ryan Jones made his debut in 2004. JT has 58 caps for Wales and is widely remembered for his awesome performance against the All Blacks in the 03 world cup. Ryan Jones has 43 Welsh caps plus 3 Lions Caps from the 2005 tour. Although he has 3 caps for the Lions if I remember correctly he was only in the squad after being called up because of injury, not taking anything away from him though as after all 3 Lions caps are 3 Lions caps. But all I'm saying as this proves is that JT is infact more experienced than Ryan Jones.

Picking at minor things now are we? Ryan Jones has 3 Lions Caps ... yes and they are 3 Lions cap, don't matter how he got them ... he got them. You cannot take that away, he toured fully and gained valuable experience from the trip. He was one of the few to enhance his reputation on the trip.

Also as it has been mentioned Ryan Jones has also been the captain of Wales, which shows playing maturity / leadership which also goes with experience. The fact he has also capped Wales more than any other Wales captain also shows his experience.

Therefore you cannot prove as you say that JT is 'infact more experienced than Ryan Jones' because that argument is not valid. FACT!

He may have been called up late to the Lions squad, but that's cuz Woodward was in charge and he's a bellend. Ryan was widely seen as the best player on that tour, not hard really, but he made a bigger impression on the rugbying world in NZ in 2005 than JT ever has.

Picking at minor things now are we? Ryan Jones has 3 Lions Caps ... yes and they are 3 Lions cap, don't matter how he got them ... he got them. You cannot take that away, he toured fully and gained valuable experience from the trip. He was one of the few to enhance his reputation on the trip.

Also as it has been mentioned Ryan Jones has also been the captain of Wales, which shows playing maturity / leadership which also goes with experience. The fact he has also capped Wales more than any other Wales captain also shows his experience.

Therefore you cannot prove as you say that JT is 'infact more experienced than Ryan Jones' because that argument is not valid. FACT!

Getting slightly defensive aren't you? If you read what I said regarding Ryan's Lions caps "he has 3 caps for the Lions if I remember correctly he was only in the squad after being called up because of injury, not taking anything away from him though as after all 3 Lions caps are 3 Lions caps" so I just reiterated what you said Cymro. I wasn't picking at at minor things just giving an even view of it and yes Cyril I understand and agree with what you're saying about him only not being in the original touring party because of Woodwood being a muppet but I was merely stating the fact that he was called up because of injuries, eventhough i agree that he was outstanding once he got there and should've been there anyway. Anyway what you say about this argument not being valid is not true Cymro, I came with an opinion and you rightly voiced yours because you didn't agree with it. Both of us have had valid points so it is a valid argument. Not knocking Ryan Jones, hes a fantastic player and valuable to Wales but was just saying in terms of caps JT is more experienced than Ryan Jones. of course your argument that Ryan Jones has captained Wales more times than any other captain is a legitimate opinion as well so in that sense I understand where you're coming from when you say that JT isn't more experienced than JT. It really is a topic that not everybody can agree on hence it most definitely being a valid argument.

Latest posts