• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eddie Jones Extends to 2021

Not sure about the successor having to work along side him until 2021. On the one hand it's good for handover period - especially if they are looking at a relatively inexperienced England coach. On the other hand if they go for a very experienced international coach they may be put off by it and would rather put their own stamp on the team early.

Not sure about the successor having to work along side him until 2021. On the one hand it's good for handover period - especially if they are looking at a relatively inexperienced England coach. On the other hand if they go for a very experienced international coach they may be put off by it and would rather put their own stamp on the team early.

Sounds like they might already have someone in mind, someone who wouldn't mind being along side Eddie.

Coach the Lions and help bed in the successor which would probably be Rob Baxter?

Good move.
We know the RFU have always wanted this experiment of an overseas coach to be a one-off, so we know that they want to appoint an Englishman next time, which rules out that "experienced international coach" option, and any newcomer to the job should be delighted to work under Eddie - presumably a DoR - HC relationship.
It's also good news if that puts him in contention (confirm him now) as Lions coach in 2021

As for Eddie's comments on not looking tmextend beyond 2019 - that's always struck me as being under orders.

As for his successor, I'd like England to look at Deano as my first choice, I'd like the likes of Baxter to get experience at more then one club first, preferably outside of England too. If looking for non-English Brit.s, then McCall and Young are the obvious pair, but again, I'd like to see them show that they can do it outside of their comfort zones as well.
I hat to say it, but even Farrell might be a decent option, just... not yet.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear him whinge when World Cup and double Grand Slam Winner Joe Schmidt takes his Lions spot!

Good appointment by the RFU, I don't fear him all that much as an Irish fan but I imagine England will continue to only be tested by very good teams while swatting the rest away handily.

Can't think of a good reason to not like this, just makes sense from an English perspective. I also don't like coaches leaving right after a world cup cycle unless they fail miserably.

Can't think of a good reason to not like this, just makes sense from an English perspective. I also don't like coaches leaving right after a world cup cycle unless they fail miserably.
Like the last 3....

Can't wait to hear him whinge when World Cup and double Grand Slam Winner Joe Schmidt takes his Lions spot!

Good appointment by the RFU, I don't fear him all that much as an Irish fan but I imagine England will continue to only be tested by very good teams while swatting the rest away handily.

Are you an Irish fan? really?!

Im not sure on Jones to be honest. England have been very impressive under him but am I the only one who can see the cracks showing with regards the players both mentally and physically? The current results in Europe have been shocking for the English teams and many of the players are looking a bit shell shocked.

No doubting the mans ability and his winner takes all mentality but we don't know yet what the price is for the current success.

He was a great coach but an average Manager.
Yup, although he also had a coaching style that's the antithesis to the vast majority of modern coaches.

Players don't want to be asked to make their own decisions, to play heads-up, to come up with their own plays. They've been conditioned to want plans and play-books, to k own exactly what is expected in any given situation, and phases planned for the first 20 or so.

Yup, although he also had a coaching style that's the antithesis to the vast majority of modern coaches.

Players don't want to be asked to make their own decisions, to play heads-up, to come up with their own plays. They've been conditioned to want plans and play-books, to k own exactly what is expected in any given situation, and phases planned for the first 20 or so.

I agree, I think its the academy system that seems to program players in obeying a certain playing style which take the responsibility off them.

Most depressing, and accurate, post of the year. And all the while being paid increasingly handsomely. Go figure.

Hopefully, love what Rob Baxter has done. Proven he can adapt and develop at every level, could be a great England coach.

Likewise love all that Baxter's done, but there's a very big but. Exeter is all he knows, he's been part of the fabric there all his adult life. He's been brilliant, but also in a very comfortable environment. If he wants the top job, a few years in France or NZ or if he wants a real challenge, Leicester, would improve him no end. Eddie is the coach he is because he's been all over the place stretching himself and soaking up experiences, good and bad.

Likewise love all that Baxter's done, but there's a very big but. Exeter is all he knows, he's been part of the fabric there all his adult life. He's been brilliant, but also in a very comfortable environment. If he wants the top job, a few years in France or NZ or if he wants a real challenge, Leicester, would improve him no end. Eddie is the coach he is because he's been all over the place stretching himself and soaking up experiences, good and bad.
Bang on. I'd say all English coaches should be encouraged to work abroad, especially New Zealand. I also think taking on a Tier 2 nation for a couple of years would be handy experience, imagine how mutually beneficial Rob Baxter coaching say Romania could be. Even better if it was Italy or Georgia

Latest posts