• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Bevan Rodd looks small for a prop. I don't know whether its his size or technique but he is not a good scrummager. Just like Mako he is getting picked for his handling skills rather than his basic prop skills :-(

Didn't have a lot of choices with Mako out, Obano broken and double Covid cases.

He's still a youngster in Loosehead years, plenty of time for him to come good and I'd be surprised if he makes another 23 in the next year or two. I thought he went really well considering what an ask starting against SA is at that stage of his career

Bevan Rodd looks small for a prop. I don't know whether its his size or technique but he is not a good scrummager. Just like Mako he is getting picked for his handling skills rather than his basic prop skills :-(
I disagree that he's a bad scrummager. Do you have any evidence?

I disagree that he's a bad scrummager. Do you have any evidence?
He's young. I'd categorise him as a learning scrummager not a bad one.

Looked like he struggled a bit against Koch yesterday and La Rochelle last season was difficult. But he won't be unique in finding either of those tough.

How many props take successfully to the international game at 21? Jason Leonard…..erm…..erm…..

Rodd will be there or thereabouts given time.

Yeah, he's just turned 21 and at very best is 3rd choice (more realistically probably 5th, maybe 4th depending how Obano goes after injury)
Him starting games was more a nod to his promise, and a lengthy list of absences, than anyone saying he's realistically ready yet

Trashing the kid just after his first two caps where he won scrum penalties in both games* feels a bit harsh

*I know the Aussie game was against a loosehead playing at tighthead, but Slipper has more pro games at tighthead under his belt than Rodd does pro games in general

Yeah, he's just turned 21 and at very best is 3rd choice (more realistically probably 5th, maybe 4th depending how Obano goes after injury)
Him starting games was more a nod to his promise, and a lengthy list of absences, than anyone saying he's realistically ready yet

Trashing the kid just after his first two caps where he won scrum penalties in both games* feels a bit harsh

*I know the Aussie game was against a loosehead playing at tighthead, but Slipper has more pro games at tighthead under his belt than Rodd does pro games in general
Especially with one of those being against the SA scrum, who are by some way the strongest scrummaging pack on the planet atm.

Based on his Times column looks like Jack Willis comeback has been delayed. Now aiming to be playing by the anniversary of his injury in mid Feb. Sounds like there was a set back from pushing too hard - I hope he just takes it nice and steady from here and he'll be ready when he's ready. But a year out of peak career has to be a tough one.

i see the decision has been made by Wasps, Bearbary and Jones, that he will be a number 8.
Barbeary apparently looking to play 8 fulltime
Going to be interesting.

Sam Simmonds not picked at 8 due to being too small....im pretty sure Alfie isnt much bigger....

Two inches taller and over 2 stone heaver, and definitely plays like it

Simmonds being smaller on paper isn't necessarily the issue, it's just that he plays like he's smaller (i.e. isn't much cop on route one/brick wall ball) - which isn't how EJ wants his 8 to play

Barbeary is a bulldozer

What's Jones going to do at 8, both now and in the run up to the RWC? Binny looks like he's rediscovered a bit of fight, Barbeary's the golden boy albeit based more on potential, Dombrandt has just been breaking through, Simmonds is around but more bench option in my eyes….and then of course Curry. Not to mention Tom Willis.

Is he going to choose a horse and back it? Does the flanker combination differ between 8s?

Realistically?
Binny will come straight in at 8 for the Six Nations and stay there until the RWC, Dombrandt will stay on the bench, then flip a coin for which of Underhill/Simmonds misses out (Simmonds' versatility the only thing keeping him in contention with Underhill, who is more seasoned and a better flanker)
EJ will stay with the 6-2 as he's got Malins covering 10/11/14/15, Marchant covering 13/14 and Slade 12/13

Barbeary will get injured before/during the 6N and not be in contention (and if he doesn't then he'll make the EPS and be in the fight with Underhill/Simmonds or Dombrandt, depending on where he settles in the backrow)

What's Jones going to do at 8, both now and in the run up to the RWC? Binny looks like he's rediscovered a bit of fight, Barbeary's the golden boy albeit based more on potential, Dombrandt has just been breaking through, Simmonds is around but more bench option in my eyes….and then of course Curry. Not to mention Tom Willis.

Is he going to choose a horse and back it? Does the flanker combination differ between 8s?
I'd have Dombrandt, Curry and Underhill/Lawes depending on opposition tbh. Simmonds can be in the squad as a 6/7/8 option but unless we build a pack around him will never be a starter.

Either Willis probably has more versatility that Barbeary for that bench spot tbh

Do you always want versatility in every bench spot though, sometimes you want to replace a starter with a similar player assuming Billy is starting I think Barbs is the only other effective route one option (appreciate it needs proving on the international stage), T Willis and Dombrandt are both great and IMO fairly similar styles to each other, just not route one.

Do you always want versatility in every bench spot though, sometimes you want to replace a starter with a similar player assuming Billy is starting I think Barbs is the only other effective route one option (appreciate it needs proving on the international stage), T Willis and Dombrandt are both great and IMO fairly similar styles to each other, just not route one.
With Curry having ~some~ experience at the base now I'd much rather have a dedicated lock and flanker on there. With everyone fit we don't lack carriers, we just suck at using them effectively

Didn't have a lot of choices with Mako out, Obano broken and double Covid cases.

He's still a youngster in Loosehead years, plenty of time for him to come good and I'd be surprised if he makes another 23 in the next year or two. I thought he went really well considering what an ask starting against SA is at that stage of his career
What do you think of Tom West at Wasps? He was impressing me hugely prior to his injury...?

If he comes back and gets back to that form he'll surely be worth keeping an eye open.

EQ LH's
Mako
Obano
Genge
West
Marler
Rudd

Further away..post WC23
Brantingham - England U20s

West was looking very good prior to his injury and I think he'd almost certainly have been capped by now. He's probably more of a 'classic prop' in the sense that he's a solid scrummager and a fairly good tight carrier. Not too many bells and whistles, but that's fine by me.

I know Brantingham is very highly rated but I can't say I've ever seen him play.

Fin Baxter might be a good long term option. He's a former England captain through the age grades and as he recently switched from tighthead to loosehead, he is being groomed as our successor to Marler.

Latest posts