• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2016/17 season.

On a slightly different note about wingers, looking at the Aviva stats page, Roko is top in the following: Most tries scored, most meters made, most clean breaks and most defenders beaten. Seriously Jones would have to be mad to not pick him. I believe it was mentioned elsewhere he also makes the most tackles of a winger and has one of the highest tackle success rates... Literally what more can he do?

On a slightly different note about wingers, looking at the Aviva stats page, Roko is top in the following: Most tries scored, most meters made, most clean breaks and most defenders beaten. Seriously Jones would have to be mad to not pick him. I believe it was mentioned elsewhere he also makes the most tackles of a winger and has one of the highest tackle success rates... Literally what more can he do?

Age probably has something to do with it. Still stupid not to pick him.

Forgot about devoto, although he's been playing 13 recently.

There is also the option of Daly at 12, I only mention this as Eddie Jones said it was an option a while ago.

Overall our 12 situation is....

A 10 who is injured, a 10/13 who's looked poor at 12, a few 13s and an uncapped kiwi.

Wow we are in a state at 12 still!

Age probably has something to do with it. Still stupid not to pick him.

I agree. Roko is the ideal solution to a problem scenario right now. He and Yarde are now the logical choices for the AIs and while neither would have been first-choice in other circumstances, I'd back both to do well.

I don't think Roko's age now is the issue. I think it's more the fact that he'll be 32 come 2019.

If he doesn't seize his chance now, I don't know if he'll get another when May, Nowell and Watson are back in the picture.

I agree. Roko is the ideal solution to a problem scenario right now. He and Yarde are now the logical choices for the AIs and while neither would have been first-choice in other circumstances, I'd back both to do well.

I don't think Roko's age now is the issue. I think it's more the fact that he'll be 32 come 2019.

If he doesn't seize his chance now, I don't know if he'll get another when May, Nowell and Watson are back in the picture.

He has to be given the chance before he can seize it. At club level he has done everything that could be expected and more. For England he was thrown in against NZ and then picked up an injury, hardly a fair chance.

I don't disagree. Hopefully Eddie will give him a shot and then the rest is up to him.

Roko has been more unlucky then anything. Got in the team and then received a hip injury which took him out of contention at a point where England are flush with decent wingers. Then Nowell and Watson stepped up big time and he was relegated to the side lines. EJ has to select him and then he needs to make a massive statement.

As for 12. Well Slade probably has to get the nod. Daly is pretty lethal but I'm afraid he'll get steam rollered in defence. Ford won't shy away from a tackle but as a good old fashioned 10 he goes high and hangs on often loosing several meters in the process. You need someone outside him who's more of a unit.

Never been sold on Devoto. Didn't really do much at bath and never seems to particularly stand out.

I thought Sam Hill played well at the weekend, what weaknesses does Eddie Jones see in him, to not select him in the EPS?

I thought Sam Hill played well at the weekend, what weaknesses does Eddie Jones see in him, to not select him in the EPS?

He's quite inconsistent in defence and has also been playing most of his rugby at 13 this season. Still, I think he's a very good centre and should get a shot in the future. Just a shame that Chiefs are trying to cram 3 potential England 12s into 1 team.

He's quite inconsistent in defence and has also been playing most of his rugby at 13 this season. Still, I think he's a very good centre and should get a shot in the future. Just a shame that Chiefs are trying to cram 3 potential England 12s into 1 team.

Yeah in reality it would probably be more helpful for their development for one or two of Slade, Devoto and Hill of to move to clubs that would guarantee them starting at 12

Yeah in reality it would probably be more helpful for their development for one or two of Slade, Devoto and Hill of to move to clubs that would guarantee them starting at 12

Or they just start playing Hill at 13 and devoto/slade at 12. Then campagnero fits in as a 13 as well.

Or they just start playing Hill at 13 and devoto/slade at 12. Then campagnero fits in as a 13 as well.

Hill isn't really a 13 though, and Slade and Devoto should both be starting every week. Although Hill has been impressive at 13 so I wouldn't be against him moving there.

Hill isn't really a 13 though, and Slade and Devoto should both be starting every week. Although Hill has been impressive at 13 so I wouldn't be against him moving there.

Out of interest - what about Hill isn't OC material?
I must admit- - I've always seen Slade as more of a natural IC (or 10/12 to be precise) and Hill as more of an CE in style (so equally adept at both) and Devoto as an IC who can play OC.

Out of interest - what about Hill isn't OC material?
I must admit- - I've always seen Slade as more of a natural IC (or 10/12 to be precise) and Hill as more of an CE in style (so equally adept at both) and Devoto as an IC who can play OC.

I think with time he could be very good there, but as it is his hard running and deceptively good passing game is better suited to 12. I also think that up against more agile 13s he'd get stood up a lot in defence. But that's stuff that can be fixed given time, so as long as he stays there for Chiefs he could be immense. JJ and Daly are both quite similar 13s, so having a hard runner like Hill as an option there would be good for England IMO.

Mike Williams arm is broken!

Matt Toomua first involvement is to break one of England's potential players arms, no wonder Aus released him early!!!!

Latest posts