• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2016/17 season.

EJ on Snapchat hinting that Robshaw might play 7
Said something like "He's got that 6.5 jersey tucked away. 6, 6.5, it's only half away from 7"

I'm hoping that doesn't mean Hughes 6. I can't see a Hughes-Robshaw-Vunipola back row going well, no pace or athleticism. When you combine that with the loss of Itoje's mobility in the locks, the pack would get run ragged. If it means Wood 6, then that's better but I'd rather Robshaw remaining at 6 with Wood at 7. A minor detail though.

I'm hoping that doesn't mean Hughes 6. I can't see a Hughes-Robshaw-Vunipola back row going well, no pace or athleticism. When you combine that with the loss of Itoje's mobility in the locks, the pack would get run ragged. If it means Wood 6, then that's better but I'd rather Robshaw remaining at 6 with Wood at 7. A minor detail though.

Wood brings more pace and athleticism than Hughes?

Wood is definitely being bigged up by the in camp press and in various interviews.

I'd earmark him for a dead cert come back if Jones wasn't such a mad unpredictable ferret about this kind of thing.

I know he's been bigged up, but I don't see how wood has forced his way back in. He was out of the initial EPS (as much as he was "unlucky", according to Eddie, he was still not there) and he's not really been setting the world alight for his club.

I'm still expecting to see Robshaw, Harrison, Binny - flip a coin for Hughes/Wood on the bench (Wood, if Beaumont manages to force his way on as lock replacement).

Hughes is also gash at the breakdown.
Only really noticed it since someone on here mentioned it (can't remember who, sorry!) but his ignorance to the rules is verging on Chris Ashton levels - scaled up to a backrower, anyway.

Yes. Hughes is 125kg. Maybe he might beat Wood in a 100m sprint, but throughout a game Wood's fitness would be far superior. He also actually fills the role of a flanker.

You didn't say fitness though, you said pace and athleticism. Whether he'd beat Wood in a sprint is precisely what pace is.

I'm willing to believe Wood might outwork Hughes - although I'd be interested in the stats on that - but bring more pace and athleticism?

Also, I don't care whether they fill the role of a flanker or anything else, I care whether they fill the role Jones has in mind for them. Haskell is not a conventional openside flanker in a million years, but he's done the role Eddie wants just fine so far.

I'm not rooting for either of them here, merely observing a perceived inaccuracy and sloppy use of language.

Only really noticed it since someone on here mentioned it (can't remember who, sorry!) but his ignorance to the rules is verging on Chris Ashton levels - scaled up to a backrower, anyway.

captain-picard-waving.gif

LAWS FFS! Is gash a word outside Glasgow or Buckfastleigh or an I too old?

No, that's Lawes, can't remember his first name. I must have the same trouble as that South African prop Brian Roddick.

- - - Updated - - -

Cortknee Laws is injured, haven't you heard?

On reflection, I realise that this may not have been a level.

If you can show me a pukka rugby rule book, I will gladly give you one billion dollars (or whatever the equivalent is in rep).

You didn't say fitness though, you said pace and athleticism. Whether he'd beat Wood in a sprint is precisely what pace is.

I'm willing to believe Wood might outwork Hughes - although I'd be interested in the stats on that - but bring more pace and athleticism?

Also, I don't care whether they fill the role of a flanker or anything else, I care whether they fill the role Jones has in mind for them. Haskell is not a conventional openside flanker in a million years, but he's done the role Eddie wants just fine so far.

I'm not rooting for either of them here, merely observing a perceived inaccuracy and sloppy use of language.

I would say that athleticism involves fitness. And by pace I meant that throughout a game, due to his superior fitness, Wood is going to be the one getting around faster than Hughes. I did t explain that though, so I will take the blame.

Assuming Jones did start Hughes though, the moment fitness meant Hughes was getting around the pitch slowly, he'd be subbed.

Although I'm dubious about whether it'd come to that. Vunipola looks fit enough to keep going around the pitch at the same rate for a full 80 every game, and he's a more heavily built man. He and Hughes are performing at very similar work rates in the AP (16.7 carries vs 16.3 carries, 10.2 attempted tackles vs 10.4 attempted tackles).so it seems fair to compare them. Whether either man would last as well if you halve the carries and double the rucks is a fair question that I have no answer to.

Mind you, I don't know for sure Hughes is quicker than Wood. Haven't watched enough of either man. I'm fairly sure Wood isn't a lot faster than Hughes though.

Also, just to continue being pedantic - yes, athleticism involves fitness, where Wood may/probably has an edge. It also involves power, where Hughes definitely has an edge. And probably a few other things besides.

Assuming Jones did start Hughes though, the moment fitness meant Hughes was getting around the pitch slowly, he'd be subbed.

Although I'm dubious about whether it'd come to that. Vunipola looks fit enough to keep going around the pitch at the same rate for a full 80 every game, and he's a more heavily built man. He and Hughes are performing at very similar work rates in the AP (16.7 carries vs 16.3 carries, 10.2 attempted tackles vs 10.4 attempted tackles).so it seems fair to compare them. Whether either man would last as well if you halve the carries and double the rucks is a fair question that I have no answer to.

Mind you, I don't know for sure Hughes is quicker than Wood. Haven't watched enough of either man. I'm fairly sure Wood isn't a lot faster than Hughes though.

Also, just to continue being pedantic - yes, athleticism involves fitness, where Wood may/probably has an edge. It also involves power, where Hughes definitely has an edge. And probably a few other things besides.

Watching wood a lot I'd say he is quite fast for a back row. Defiantly faster than Hughes but no way near as powerful, they are very different players and shouldn't really be compared.

Wood can't do the smash them Haskell role so I can't see him starting unless it's at 6 with Robshaw smashing people and wood uses for his work rate.

Either way wood and Robshaw and too similar to use together.

Certainly don't want Wood starting, he's had his chance and like others have said isn't on great form and to similar to Robshaw.
I really would like to see how Billy and Hughes go together and I think we'll need the power of Hughes against the big SA.
If it doesn't work then EJ can re-jig.

Certainly don't want Wood starting, he's had his chance and like others have said isn't on great form and to similar to Robshaw.
I really would like to see how Billy and Hughes go together and I think we'll need the power of Hughes against the big SA.
If it doesn't work then EJ can re-jig.

I'd agree with that, especially given his love of the crook at the 30th minute if something/someone isn't working out. Even if that happens I'd rather see a switch to Robshaw/Harrison/Binny than see Wood in the jersey again

At the line out Robshaw's adequate at best while Hughes and Binny are pretty much non existent. Wood has a clear advantage there which may be attractive with our first choice locks out. Launch is good but I'd say not in the class of Krutoje and Lawes.

Hughes hasn't played as 6 recently as far as I'm aware although I'm not sure that's a huge issue and as others have said he doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box at the breakdown. All SA teams are big and physical, but otherwise this one is pretty ordinary; picking Hughes would be fighting fire with fire and I'm not sure that's necessarily the way to go this time.

Not sure why there's so much hate on here for wood. He's basically just a slightly different version of Robshaw.

His form this season has been a lot better than the last few years and he's put on the weight he lost before.

At the line out Robshaw's adequate at best while Hughes and Binny are pretty much non existent. Wood has a clear advantage there which may be attractive with our first choice locks out. Launch is good but I'd say not in the class of Krutoje and Lawes.

Hughes hasn't played as 6 recently as far as I'm aware although I'm not sure that's a huge issue and as others have said he doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box at the breakdown. All SA teams are big and physical, but otherwise this one is pretty ordinary; picking Hughes would be fighting fire with fire and I'm not sure that's necessarily the way to go this time.
Hughes does jump sometimes for Wasps so he could be used as a jumper.
Whichever way EJ goes has been right so far but I would just like to see something new while we have this chance to try new combinations.
Worked well when JJ finally got his chance.
If we're picking Wood we might aswell give twelvetrees and burrell another go.

Saw an quote from the times saying Billy might be looking at the NFL after 2019 World Cup.

Honestly don't know where he would play?
TE or FB I guess maybe.
I don't think he has the speed for RB

Latest posts