• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: Scotland v South Africa, 17/11/2012

I think Scotland might take this one, depending on how much the AB took the wind out of their sails last week...

Well, we conceded 2 tries less than the All Blacks, so technically, our defense is better.

I think Scotland might take this one, depending on how much the AB took the wind out of their sails last week...

Thing is, after the domestic season so far, the players had no wind in their sales, were running purely on oars.

Now they have a wee bit of something to be upbeat about.

Jacobsen is unavailable for personal reasons (there is a Sainsburys just outside Edinburgh that will be having a 50% off sale of all goods in the pastry section this Saturday).

:lol:. Jacobsen certainly has put on the pounds of late. There are rumours of some sort of problem between him and Robinson. He's certainly better than Traynor though is who awful.

Mark Bennett will be on loan at Glasgow for the rest of the season. I fully expect him to be first choice 13 come the Six Nations.

Interesting. He was hyped up a bit a year or so ago, but hasn't got a look in at Clermont.

Personally think Fusaro is better than him anyway nowadays, not the only one as well. Strokosch missed a load of tackles against New Zealand, Denton far fewer if any, never been a fan so would have had Brown, Fusaro, Denton.

Strokosch was named as one of the best signing of the season in the Top 14 by Midi Olympique for Perpignan. I agree with your back row. What was the "Killer Bees" have gone somewhat off the boil these days apart from Brown. Beattie is merely a reserve 8 at Montpellier and Barclay can't even start for Scotland with Rennie injured.

EXACTLY.
I was asking myself that same question the other day...
Some ppl say there are no criteria to determine that, but surely there are tiers...

No hard rules, but the reality still is there. Obviously Canada or Georgia are just a different class than Ireland or Wales...

I'd say Tier 1 is NZ, SA, AUS, FRA, ENG, WAL, IRE, ARG atm truly...
Tier 2 would be: Italy, Samoa, Scotland.
Then Tier 3 with TON, FIJ, CAN, GEO etc...

off the top of my head.
No offense to the Scots, I may be wrong but to really look at the big picture (of just 3 tiers, in stead of 5 or 6 which would be more specific and value, say, Scotland more) it seems fair to me.
To me Scotland still is a strong rugby nation. It's just that those other Top 8 have separated themselves as to form and reach a higher tier. But the differences there are really blurry. I don't think it's a big upset if Scotland beats Ireland for e.g., yet Ireland is clearly a Tier 1 team...
and Ireland and NZ are in the same Tier, so that tells you smt about the disparity within a very Tier. It's just the larger picture, but there's common sense behind thinking of the Rugby world in those terms.

And I guess we'll see how wrong I am when Samoa plays Wales in a few days. Perhaps they're even...dare I say it...uhm...Tier 1 right now ?...

Tier 1 and Tier 2 status is not like that. It's simply the 10 nations in 6 Nations and Rugby Championship. So yes, Scotland and Italy are definitely Tier 1, no questions. Despite Tier 2 Samoa being as strong as the former and stronger than the latter.

Samoa could win the World Cup and they would still be Tier 2 never mind beat Wales, it's not do with how good the nation is.

^ well I see your point.
But if Samoa really proved their quality with regularity, then no they'd be up in tier 1 man. Argentina was Tier 2 up until just the late 90's when the awakening occured...

It's just that Italy (as much as I'm behind them, sincerely) just aren't cut from the same cloth as the other 5 Nations...and Scotland seems to be there with Italy, and they both seem closer in strength to teams like Tonga Samoa etc...even if Samoa is the best Pacific Islander right now..
Anyways.

If de Jongh scores, I hope to god he doesn't act like a ****** again.
Alongside not passing, that is one of my gripes with him. Petulant, yes, but there must be some standards.

Barclay plays great for scotland everytime he puts on that jersey... I don't know what you are talking about. He has loss his form in Pro 12 and bringing in new guys is fine for me.

I think Scotland are the underdogs but by a lot less. They played good against the ABs and at the end of the game did not seem upset, but focused to improve. They believe now that they can score (thank god). They know they can kick, and a forwards battle is not something they are scared of.

Our only issues is still our defence are we play well, our centres (du luca), and lastly playing as a one team for a full 80 mins.

But I think the boys in blue will do it. Just look at their kit, it is great.

If de Jongh scores, I hope to god he doesn't act like a ****** again.
Alongside not passing, that is one of my gripes with him. Petulant, yes, but there must be some standards.

Ag, you're just sour that try cost you a Currie Cup ***le.

Scotland team change for tomorrow: Al Strokosch is out injured, John Barclay comes in at open-side, captain Kelly Brown to blindside AND uncapped Edinburgh Rugby number 8 Stuart McInally takes the vacated back-row spot on the bench!

Ag, you're just sour that try cost you a Currie Cup ***le.

Nah, I've admitted many times that WP deserved it.
I just don't like the cocking about. I did like Rene Ranger's 'response' to the Ioane dance last year.

Can't wait for this game!!!

Scotland put in a decent showing last week, apart from a defence like a wet paper bag and a hooker who couldn't throw straight for a pie. Those minor factors aside, a decent showing!

I expect SA to raise their game from last week but I also expect Scotland to tighten up their defence and improve their line out.

If nothing else, just to balance out this thread a bit, I'm going for a Scotland win!

Latest posts