• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Wales v Australia, 30/11/13

Two points to make:

1. Was it mistake to start with Dan Lydiate? Should Gatland have started Tipuric at 7 and Warburton at 6 to combat Hooper and Fardy at the breakdown. Australia's biggest strength is the breakdown and they won this in the key areas of the pitch to give Genia and Cooper an armchair ride. This was not the game for Lydiate's chop tackling; it hasn't worked in the previous losses to Australia.

2. Wales need Jamie Roberts to play Gatlandball; they struggled to get over the gain line in midfield. Scott and Owen Williams were completely outclassed and were pretty anonymous.

Unlucky:

Steve Richards won more than £38,000 by correctly predicting the results of 12 football matches - now he's betting £30,000 on a Wales win

13113009245820970.jpg

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-v-australia-meet-man-6352761

:D:D:D

Last edited:
diapoe69d6b8908a55571c7583a2dd21a278c.gif

Phillips stamping on Quade Cooper's hand in the first half (unashamedly robbed from Gwlad :p)

Awful behavior there, good on Cooper for not retaliating. If Phillips gets banned, what do they do? He won't really miss any club rugby at the moment.

Phillips stamping on Quade Cooper's hand in the first half (unashamedly robbed from Gwlad :p)

Mike was his usual tw***y self, constantly getting involved with things off the ball/after the whistle, I wish he'd stop it. And theres this, fairly damning evidence, any word if this has been raised or will we have to wait till Monday for that

Nooooooo, I want to see how Wallabies will beat All Blacks again, after 2 years

:gat::gat:

aaaah, good answer ! And I like the time you're giving them. I think it's a possibility in 3 tests in 2014, but in two years sounds less risky of a prediction.
I'm relieved and very happy for them they've seriously risen back to form. They just need to strengthen some areas now.

Crazy stats...

30 November 2013 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 26 – 30 Australia
1 December 2012 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 12 – 14 Australia
23 June 2012 Sydney Football Stdm, Sydney 20 – 19 Australia
16 June 2012 Etihad Stadium, Melbourne 25 – 23 Australia
9 June 2012 Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane 27 – 19 Australia
3 December 2011 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 18 – 24 Australia
21 October 2011 Eden Park, Auckland 21 – 18 Australia
6 November 2010 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 16 – 25 Australia
28 November 2009 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 12 – 33 Australia
29 November 2008 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 21 – 18 Wales 2008

Over last 10 games. Pts. 184 v 237. Average 18.4 v 23.7 (difference of 5.3 per game)

Over last 4 games. Pts. 80 v 89. Average 20 v 22.25 (difference of 2.25 per game)

Damn, didn't spot that. Out of order.

(anyone else notice Cooper biting his leg after he did it?)

Maybe he can borrow Horwill's defence for any citing?

Crazy stats...

30 November 2013 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 26 – 30 Australia
1 December 2012 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 12 – 14 Australia
23 June 2012 Sydney Football Stdm, Sydney 20 – 19 Australia
16 June 2012 Etihad Stadium, Melbourne 25 – 23 Australia
9 June 2012 Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane 27 – 19 Australia
3 December 2011 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 18 – 24 Australia
21 October 2011 Eden Park, Auckland 21 – 18 Australia
6 November 2010 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 16 – 25 Australia
28 November 2009 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 12 – 33 Australia
29 November 2008 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 21 – 18 Wales 2008

Over last 10 games. Pts. 184 v 237. Average 18.4 v 23.7 (difference of 5.3 per game)

Over last 4 games. Pts. 80 v 89. Average 20 v 22.25 (difference of 2.25 per game)

I know, it's pretty incredible. Wales have seriously seen fate dig a hole for them, and they're now stuck in a psychological warp where history keeps repeating itself. Not that the Aussies haven't played well and every match is its own story, but they've got to snap out of it and believe they're the best. Some matches in a row would be understandable and not reprehensible, but this is an absolute monument of text you've just imported in your post. And the Wallabies are most definitely within the range of Wales.

Last 4 games: 80 vs 89
XD that's just incredible.

Damn, didn't spot that. Out of order.

(anyone else notice Cooper biting his leg after he did it?)

Maybe he can borrow Horwill's defence for any citing?
To be honest, I'm not sure he did bite his leg.
He certainly puts his mouth by his calf, but, to my eyes, it looks more like he's "screaming" (or at least venting his pain) rather than biting. I mean he does have 104kg pressing down on metal spikes into his hand at that moment.

I think, at most, he went to bite but then stopped himself from doing it at the last moment.

Not heard of any citing, but I wouldn't expect anything this soon - tomorrow or Monday would be when it's announced.
No idea on bans - presumably would kick in when he signs for a new club (which would put off any potential suitors) or if he doesn't find one would come into effect in the Six Nations.

A very satisfying moment was when Phillips ran over Cooper and stuck his tongue out at him, only to be driven back 10 yards and dumped on his arse milliseconds later. His tongue was still out when he was thumped to the ground, but was accompanied with a strange, confused expression.

He's decently talented but was poor today. Worst player on the pitch in an otherwise outstanding game, and that's not even addressing his off the ball posturing. He's a disgrace to the game of rugby.

To be honest, I'm not sure he did bite his leg.
He certainly puts his mouth by his calf, but, to my eyes, it looks more like he's "screaming" (or at least venting his pain) rather than biting. I mean he does have 104kg pressing down on metal spikes into his hand at that moment.

I think, at most, he went to bite but then stopped himself from doing it at the last moment.

Not heard of any citing, but I wouldn't expect anything this soon - tomorrow or Monday would be when it's announced.
No idea on bans - presumably would kick in when he signs for a new club (which would put off any potential suitors) or if he doesn't find one would come into effect in the Six Nations.

I think Horwill gets in the way just as Cooper puts his knashers into Cooper's calf. We need a different camera angle.

A definite stamp from Phillips and a definite bite from Cooper, trouble is Cooper was biting Phillips shin guard and it took Phillips a while to notice. We'll call it even and move on.

I thought Wales were pretty average today, they made Aussie look good, much like the Irish did when Aussie played them.
Before you start talking Australia's hopes up too much I would direct you to the two games just a few months back, one in Brisbane and one in Saffer-ville where the Boks utterly destroyed Aussie.
I mean they knock 'em down, drag 'em out, throw 'em down destroyed Aussie like they were a schoolkid team.
Home and away.
I havent seen a demolition job like that done to Aussie since Adam was a boy. It was a pair of truly brutal beatings where Aussie were caught between having no chance and a slim chance, and Slim left town at the kick off.
Aussie didn't even get going today until they were forced into it by Wales scoring points and Qayde Cooper, who is a non event against the Boks and the AB's, because they play high tempo physical games, was given all the time in the world today to run the show and make Wales look amateur at times.
Wales spent quite a lot of that game failing to compete at the breakdown. Lydiate was a passenger lumbering about the park, he looked tired, Tipuric was needed from the start, and Warburton needs to step up because the Aussie loose forward trio gave Wales a really torrid time. Wales were woeful at the breakdown. Maybe that was the brand new midfield pairing but it was definitely something and it cost them a lot of momentum and possession.
Aussies ball retention was significantly better.
James Slipper impressed me today. That bloke got through a power of work carrying the ball in the loose and he really took some tackling and made the Welsh front row look slow. Kepu was better than average too but he really is average up against the quality that the Boks and AB's bring to the table. Thats an indication of how average Wales were today. For some periods of the game they looked a bit like Scotland, or Italy, a second tier nation with a kicker.
How many penalties of Wales failed to find touch?
Schoolboy errors that gifted away possession and field position. Waaaaay too many mistakes to beat a team like Australia. You keep gifting Aussie opportunities and they will show you their class.
Fardy is a real find as well at no.6, he had a huge game as he made Lydiate look like a ghost.
I know they were missing a bunch of players and will have much stronger line ups in the future but today Wales were flattered by the scoreline.

A very satisfying moment was when Phillips ran over Cooper and stuck his tongue out at him, only to be driven back 10 yards and dumped on his arse milliseconds later. His tongue was still out when he was thumped to the ground, but was accompanied with a strange, confused expression. [...]
He's a disgrace to the game of rugby.
Sums Philips up, really. He's all about himself.

Wasn't a fan of his dive when whoever it was gave him a shove after a box kick - went down like a sack of spuds and stayed down for an age, trying to milk a penalty, instead of getting up in the defensive line/chasing the kick.

Latest posts