• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter Chiefs thread

Times reporting that Salvi has left his position as defence coach.

In the same article it says that Baxter and Hepher have both been in place since 2009 and Hunter (forwards coach) since 2013. That's great in so many ways, but must also be pretty stale by now. Any organisation needs a managed flow of new blood and fresh thinking.
Ricky Pellow (skills coach) is part of the class of 2009 too. I get the point about things being stagnant, but if this is the problem, it seems strange that the slide should come all of a sudden (although you could argue that finishing runners up last year represented the beginning of a slide). Pure conjecture, but I can't help wondering how much Robin Cowling's reduced involvement with the club is what's behind the slide.

Piece in the Times this morning about Baxter changing role. Remaining DoR but relinquishing control of the team before and on match days.

Strange. Does it say whether that's his choice or not? I know he gives a lot of ownership to Hepher and Hunter but this seems to suggest he's giving away any real input on the day to day?

FWIW, I think Exeter have been a bit unfortunate. In the past, they've been able to keep a good proportion of their first choice 23 together for the majority of the season, but due to international call-ups (and Lions rest period) and injuries to key players, they've been a bit more exposed. They've only had a handful of games from LCD, Sam Simmonds, Hill, Gray, Nowell and Vermeulen and not many more from the likes of Slade Kirsten or Skinner. Often those absences have overlapped so they've frequently been playing at about 70% of full strength. Obviously every team is impacted by international call-ups, it's just that Exeter's have typically been combined with serious injuries (LCD and Hill for example).

Throw in a few more bits like the law changes and really weird dip in form from Joe Simmonds and it's been a weird season for them in all sorts of ways.

Their signings aren't massively eye-catching, but Dunne and O'Loughlin should be the kind of players who can immediately slot in to the match-day 23. OTOH, losing Hill, Skinner, Lonsdale and Armand all at once is going to hurt given that they've all featured pretty heavily in the successful era.

This might be a new era where top 6 is more the reality than top 4?

Strange. Does it say whether that's his choice or not? I know he gives a lot of ownership to Hepher and Hunter but this seems to suggest he's giving away any real input on the day to day?

FWIW, I think Exeter have been a bit unfortunate. In the past, they've been able to keep a good proportion of their first choice 23 together for the majority of the season, but due to international call-ups (and Lions rest period) and injuries to key players, they've been a bit more exposed. They've only had a handful of games from LCD, Sam Simmonds, Hill, Gray, Nowell and Vermeulen and not many more from the likes of Slade Kirsten or Skinner. Often those absences have overlapped so they've frequently been playing at about 70% of full strength. Obviously every team is impacted by international call-ups, it's just that Exeter's have typically been combined with serious injuries (LCD and Hill for example).

Throw in a few more bits like the law changes and really weird dip in form from Joe Simmonds and it's been a weird season for them in all sorts of ways.

Their signings aren't massively eye-catching, but Dunne and O'Loughlin should be the kind of players who can immediately slot in to the match-day 23. OTOH, losing Hill, Skinner, Lonsdale and Armand all at once is going to hurt given that they've all featured pretty heavily in the successful era.

This might be a new era where top 6 is more the reality than top 4?
70% strength? I weep for them, really, truly weep for them

Possibly O'Loughlin's last game for us tonight, I was very excited when he first came on to the scene and I think his career took a hit when he moved to centre for the good of the squad. He was never going to overtake Ringrose and he'd broken into Ireland squads as a wing.

He's had a few quiet seasons but is coming back to form at the right time for you lads. I'd be disappointed for him if he's not a starter next year, good enough to be comfortable challenging for playoff spots and European knockout games.

Sounds like Exeter have a lot more debt than expected though. Surprised that the match revenue doesn't cover debt repayments, only as i thought Chiefs were taking home near 1m

I think they havnt had as good attendance this year and i guess with what they spent on Sandy park hotel plus covid loans it will all add up. I worry as some clubs are probably worse than chiefs as they wont have the same level of 'non rugby assets'

For the record i have no knowledge on any of this its just speculation.

Exeter Chiefs to sell 'non-rugby asset' to help repay Covid-19 loans - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63520511

Shame but smart to avoid going the way of Wasps and Wuss
Other than the new hotel, what "non-rugby assets" do the club own?
Sounds like Exeter have a lot more debt than expected though. Surprised that the match revenue doesn't cover debt repayments, only as i thought Chiefs were taking home near 1m
I think the (questionable) showed them with a decent chunk of debt, I assumed it was the costs of building their new hotel and the DCMS loans. A £1m profit from match days wouldn't go that far towards servicing them. It's a shame that it seems that the hotel isn't generating sufficient profit to cover them.

Other than the new hotel, what "non-rugby assets" do the club own?

I think the (questionable) showed them with a decent chunk of debt, I assumed it was the costs of building their new hotel and the DCMS loans. A £1m profit from match days wouldn't go that far towards servicing them. It's a shame that it seems that the hotel isn't generating sufficient profit to cover them.
Honestly have no idea about the non rugby assets but id be interested to find out. Surely they wouldnt want to sell the hotel shares if they dont have to as that seems a good long term investment.

Don't most teams have investments in properties and things like that? I imagine it's just something like that.

Don't most teams have investments in properties and things like that? I imagine it's just something like that.
I have no idea. In Exeter's case, I guess that part of the deal for the County Ground could have involved the club keeping part of the build.

I was pleased to see Dafydd Jenkins get a call up for Wales. I heard he captained Exeter last week? Very impressive if true considering his age. I've only seen a couple of games at under 20 and a few mins here and there for Exeter. Anyone better informed than me able to give me a brief low down on strengths and weaknesses?

I was pleased to see Dafydd Jenkins get a call up for Wales. I heard he captained Exeter last week? Very impressive if true considering his age. I've only seen a couple of games at under 20 and a few mins here and there for Exeter. Anyone better informed than me able to give me a brief low down on strengths and weaknesses?
Very Happy for the guy but by being captured by Wales he now will have to leave Chiefs eventually and same as Tshiunza due to Wales rules. Its an odd thing really how much do you play them now if they cant sign another contract with you, im not saying you should not play them at all its just an odd situation. Happy but shame as we will lose them eventually.

The rules are they have to sign for a welsh club on their next contract right?

Very Happy for the guy but by being captured by Wales he now will have to leave Chiefs eventually and same as Tshiunza due to Wales rules. Its an odd thing really how much do you play them now if they cant sign another contract with you, im not saying you should not play them at all its just an odd situation. Happy but shame as we will lose them eventually.

The rules are they have to sign for a welsh club on their next contract right?
Yeah it is a shame. I'd rather they both stay at Exeter for the foreseeable to be honest. Why stifle their development by moving them back to an underperforming Welsh region.

Yeah, when their contract runs out they'll have to sign for a Welsh region if they want to carry on playing for Wales. I think Gloucester, thankfully, tied down LRZ on a long contract so he doesn't have to worry for a few years, unless I'm mistaken. I imagine Tshiunza and Jenkins are on longish contracts though, do you know? They're both at Exeter university is my understanding so that'll play a part as well.

Yeah it is a shame. I'd rather they both stay at Exeter for the foreseeable to be honest. Why stifle their development by moving them back to an underperforming Welsh region.

Yeah, when their contract runs out they'll have to sign for a Welsh region if they want to carry on playing for Wales. I think Gloucester, thankfully, tied down LRZ on a long contract so he doesn't have to worry for a few years, unless I'm mistaken. I imagine Tshiunza and Jenkins are on longish contracts though, do you know? They're both at Exeter university is my understanding so that'll play a part as well.
Im surprised Wales dont want the opposite, litter the prem with Wales players and then have the Welsh regions increasing the amount of players available.

Im surprised Wales dont want the opposite, litter the prem with Wales players and then have the Welsh regions increasing the amount of players available.
This is the way I'd go now to be honest. It's not like we're seeing 4 class regions tearing it up in the URC each week. We evidently already have many talented players slipping through the net in Wales so why not send them out to England and treat the premiership like a nursery. Lol.

I've been saying for a little while now that I think Jenkins is even more promising than Tshiunza. He isn't nearly as athletic and won't get the highlight reel moments that Christ does but he's a proper lock who loves the set piece and the dog work. A lot of young locks that are his height (6'7) struggle to keep on weight but Jenkins is already a whisker off 120kg and looks very comfortable at that weight with plenty of room to add more on.

All that said, he (like Tshiunza IMO) isn't ready for international rugby yet and I can't really see him being ready for next year's World Cup either. Despite his being captain for Chiefs this past weekend, I don't think Jenkins is really anywhere close to pushing for our 1st choice 23 yet when everyone is fit. He's still fairly regularly playing for Exeter Uni. I know that Wales' lock stocks aren't great but there are still a fair few who are better than Jenkins is right now. To me this is just a case of Wales being desperate to tie down a young option who I don't think would ever consider playing for anyone but Wales anyway. And as you say, it just means that he's going to have to leave Chiefs sooner rather than later which (and I am biased) I think is definitely the best place for him to be.

Latest posts