• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter Chiefs thread

It does look uncannily like Jack Nowell.

Basic idea is pretty good and obviously a step in the right direction. I'd like to see what the helmet is actually based on though.

They need to remove the random font for the 'Chiefs' and just have it say Chiefs where they've currently got 'Rugby'. No one calls them Exeter Rugby Chiefs.
Oh, the helmet's fine; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agris_Helmet
helmets.png

So does this mean the immediate scrapping of all the merch? Will kit completists have to buy 6 shirts this season?

Some people will be very happy, some people will be properly cheesed off...

Edit: ah, it's not until next season. Gives them time to tinker with the interesting image, I suppose.

Last edited:
Nice one Exeter. Some countries in South America retain a native American majority of population (Bolivia) or retain a native language as a widely spoken language by European settlers (Paraguay). When you are associating your sports club with a period in history that makes the Conquistadors look progressive, then you've probably made a booboo.

Hopefully acknowledging the Celtic ancestory of the area will be the first step in Hogg returning to the URC with Exeter!

If the "Chiefs" part of the name was reference to a Celtic Chief as I'm being told by several Exeter fans that I know (Also seems weird that Cornish people will support a rugby team from a different county, yet practically go to war with the same county for assembling the constituents of a scone in a marginally different order), it seems odd that they didn't bother to match the image to the name from the start... Almost as if there was some straw clutching going on.

One post isn't really "going on about it" is it. And you felt the need to bump your gums.

I like it, yes, the "chiefs" font clashes, why not wrap it around the the rest of the text...but in general, i like it

If the "Chiefs" part of the name was reference to a Celtic Chief as I'm being told by several Exeter fans that I know (Also seems weird that Cornish people will support a rugby team from a different county, yet practically go to war with the same county for assembling the constituents of a scone in a marginally different order), it seems odd that they didn't bother to match the image to the name from the start... Almost as if there was some straw clutching going on.
I can see why the shift in branding for Exeter Chiefs is considered a bit more clunky than the shift in branding for the Crusaders in Super Rugby (with Crusaders having a kind of superhero element to fall back on that might actually make the team brand more appealing kids). But we do already have a Chiefs in Super Rugby and whilst the connection between that rugby team and indigenous Chiefs is more recent in time, I think it is a solid historical connection in south west England, and a historic connection worth reviving.

If it had been the Milton Keynes Chiefs then they'd have been clutching more straws than a game of Kerplunk!

Nah, there's nothing particularly special about the west country if we're going as far back as Iron Age tribes.

View attachment 13078
Well its the only part of England with that non-Anglo Saxon heritage, albeit everyone has long since interbred. The equivalents in France would be Brittany (shared heritage as Cornwall) and Basque and both intentionally retain distinct identities (I appreciate it isn't really comparable). It's a better USP for the southwest than Morris Dancing anyway.

Are you suggesting that the Anglo Saxons didn't reach Exeter?

Fan is a subjective term, but in this it means someone who doesn't pay much attention to the club. Rowe has been clear all the way through this saga that the word "Chiefs" was chosen because of the south-west tradition of referring to a club's "firsts" as the "chiefs". He reaffirmed this in his statements in the media yesterday with not apparent awareness of the fact that it represents an attempt to claim that culture as their own.

As there are 50ish counties and 12 Premiership clubs, it comes as no surprise to me that people stray outside their CB area to watch top class domestic rugby and to see the best talent from their own CB. Personally I don't know anyone in Cornwall who I would describe as a Chiefs supporter, more as customers of their entertainment business.

Rowe explained in yesterdays statements in the media how the original branding originated. Basically they threw it over to a graphic designer and didn't bother to engage critical faculties when the current bit of word association came back. There might be a lesson for those involved given that apparently this malaise will cost them half a million quid.

Are you suggesting that the Anglo Saxons didn't reach Exeter?
It is well known that Alfred the Great took one look at the hankies and sticks of the Celtic southwesterners on the eve of the battle of Bodmin, felt his courage drain from his body and swore his people would never return. Do they not teach history in England? :p

No, I'm suggesting there was a clear established Celtic culture in Devon and Cornwall (originating from Portugal and Brittany) from between ~8,000 BC to 800 AD (some 500 years after the arrival of Anglo-Saxons in England) and that it is the area of England where the now omnipresent Anglo-Saxons penetrated last and least. Therefore, I think it is a suitably distinctive piece of history for a rugby club based in Devon to align itself with, even if we took the Chiefs issue out of the equation.

Of course living in Devon today is much the same as Durham, Dudley or Doncaster but I would prefer an Exeter based club aligning itself to its heritage like that more than becoming the world renowned tigers of Leicester, the 1,000 year extinct Bristolian bears or the zoological enigma that is the sharks of landlocked Sale (really!?). I'd argue the Exeter rebrand is far from the relegation battle in the English league table of club branding.

So next season do we think Chiefs will make a killing on new shirt Sales? Im surprised they didnt announce it towards the end of the current season as they'll sell less (Native American) chiefs logo shirts after this announcement. Im talking from a financial point of view and not a right or wrong before anyone kicks off. :)

I'm aware - and those same Celts were everywhere in Britain.
Which still doesn't mean that the Anglo Saxons didn't have Devon - which they did. For most of their (relatively brief) time in charge, they had Cornwall as well - though yes, it mostly maintained an independant streak - far, far more so than Devon did.
Of course, by that stage the Cornish were mostly Dumnonii, who'd displaced the Cornwalla, mostly to Brittany or Wales

Considering the chiefs have always maintained the name was after British tribal chiefs rather than native American chiefs, I think the rebrand makes sense. Logo could do with improving as people have pointed out, many assume it looks more like a Mongol than a Briton.

Latest posts