• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Exeter Chiefs thread

Considering the chiefs have always maintained the name was after British tribal chiefs rather than native American chiefs, I think the rebrand makes sense. Logo could do with improving as people have pointed out, many assume it looks more like a Mongol than a Briton.
Mostly because of the helmet - which is a pretty standard design from bronze age up to medieval times, across virtually all (metalworking) military cultures.

I've also seen a lot of suggestions that it looks Saracen - largely due to a video game (Assassin's Creed?)

Considering the chiefs have always maintained the name was after British tribal chiefs rather than native American chiefs, I think the rebrand makes sense. Logo could do with improving as people have pointed out, many assume it looks more like a Mongol than a Briton.
Who has? As above, AFAIK the club's stance has always been that it's the term used to refer to a south-west team's first team. Social media hangers on may have justified it that way, but you're talking about a group of people whose number includes people who think it's witty or original to say that Wasps / Sharks, etc are demeaning those animals!

What? Are you saying that even though their logo was a Native American "chief"…they say it had no connection the the name they chose…that they picked Chiefs for the native britons…but didn't design a logo to match?

Sounds like the revisionist scrambling the crusaders tried, the name didnt have anything to do with the Christian knight of their logo apparently, that they chose "crusader" as in social crusader, fighting for positive change in the world….I call BS

From memory (they've been my 2nd club since my brother was somewhat tangentially involved as an acedmy player in the mid 90s), what was always claimed (including back in 1999 when it was pointed out how crass the iconography was) was that the Devon & Cornwall clubs typically called their 1st XV "the chiefs" as in, the bosses, through maritime traditions (claims of Celtic chieftains are pretty recent ret-con.s).

In 1999, when Exeter turned fully professional, they changed colours, started building a new ground, separated the 1st XV from the rest of the club, and rebranded to the Chiefs to keep that tradition alive. They chose iconography most easily associated with "Chief" - despite it being talked about as being crass at the time. Ultimately though, it was a little team from a little sport, half a globe away from the offended minority, so it was thought that no-one would particularly care.

Rugby has grown since then, Exeter have grown since then, and Exeter now appear on American TV screens every week. Society has also grown since then, and what was crass and a little insensitive 23 years ago, is unacceptably racist now - though that part could, and was predicted 23 years ago.

The problem has never been with the name (despite some of the straw-man arguments) but the iconography

Last edited:
With a pretty tough run in and Gloucester with and extra game to play to us, also a point ahead when they get the 4 points from the Wuss game its tough for the rest of the season. Also a few injuries to add to things.

Im actually worried for next season with losing
Jonny Hill
Sam Skinner
Sean Lonsdale
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
Tom O'Flaherty

Without most of them as it stands we arnt doing the best and im not seeing the players really standing up to replace them or am overly excited by the signings, maybe Dunne who is EQP i believe and a good young talent.

Next year i think we will be in a rebuild and may even end up mid table.

Its the first time in quite a while ive been worried about next season.

What do the rest of you think?

Whoever they bring in I there's a big challenge coming down the track for Baxter. His old faithfuls are slowly but surely fading away and I doubt he'll be able to replicate what he's done in the past - the world's just different, players move more regularly etc. And it must be tough now for him to keep things fresh with those players who have been there a while.

Like all transfers all depends who comes in.

Exeter prob got a few more signings to come
But before it was a solid squad that were winning or on the up then adding players like woodburn, devoto, Waldrom who we developed in a strong system with fringe England players like LCD, Hill Simmonds ect playing well already and then when they started getting to the top of the table adding extra star dust like Hogg, Grey.

I mean atm we have vs tigers had LCD Hill Skinner Lonsdale Kirsten SHC Devoto Nowell Hogg and 4 of them we wont have next season +O'FLAHERTY And some will be with internstionals and injured of the ones here. Issue is we used to have players away and the replacements for them kept up our form but now theres a clear dip and not up to full speed when playing well.

I think Tigers will do what Chiefs have done in previous years and push on with a strong squad building on it given your mix experience and young players and potential plus injuries to come back.

With a pretty tough run in and Gloucester with and extra game to play to us, also a point ahead when they get the 4 points from the Wuss game its tough for the rest of the season. Also a few injuries to add to things.

Im actually worried for next season with losing
Jonny Hill
Sam Skinner
Sean Lonsdale
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
Tom O'Flaherty

Without most of them as it stands we arnt doing the best and im not seeing the players really standing up to replace them or am overly excited by the signings, maybe Dunne who is EQP i believe and a good young talent.

Next year i think we will be in a rebuild and may even end up mid table.

Its the first time in quite a while ive been worried about next season.

What do the rest of you think?
I will admit its been a tough few months for Exeter. Unfortunately the curse of their own sucess being their downfall. However, i strongly believe Exeter and in particular Baxter raises his players potential and performance by 10-15%. Take someone like Sam Hill, unbelievable at Exeter and fairly average for Sale. Baxter will have a plan and logic behind his moves, i am sure of that.

I will admit its been a tough few months for Exeter. Unfortunately the curse of their own sucess being their downfall. However, i strongly believe Exeter and in particular Baxter raises his players potential and performance by 10-15%. Take someone like Sam Hill, unbelievable at Exeter and fairly average for Sale. Baxter will have a plan and logic behind his moves, i am sure of that.
Oh i do think Baxter will have a plan up his sleeve of how to improve us and new tactics, he always has done but from a squad point of view we're worse than in quite a few years next season, not bad by any means.

One rule thats hit us hard is the goal line drop out, before we would relentlessly tire teams out by hitting again and again, getting held up and going again, constant pick and goes, pen advantage tap and go knowing that if we're held up we go again. Meaning tes feared us in their 22. Hold us out for 5 min get posession and youve sapped alot of energy out of your team. Now we can risk the same tactic as we get held up and its for nothing. So weve been passing wider rather than pick and go but it hasnt been as affect

Oh i do think Baxter will have a plan up his sleeve of how to improve us and new tactics, he always has done but from a squad point of view we're worse than in quite a few years next season, not bad by any means.

One rule thats hit us hard is the goal line drop out, before we would relentlessly tire teams out by hitting again and again, getting held up and going again, constant pick and goes, pen advantage tap and go knowing that if we're held up we go again. Meaning tes feared us in their 22. Hold us out for 5 min get posession and youve sapped alot of energy out of your team. Now we can risk the same tactic as we get held up and its for nothing. So weve been passing wider rather than pick and go but it hasnt been as affect
I also think even before you take the field, he's got you geared up. He such a quality operator. The ability to hold you up over the line and get ball back is such a change. The big thing is that you used to get a 5m scrum and go again.... It was relentless.

but from a squad point of view we're worse than in quite a few years next season, not bad by any means.
To be fair - I think everyone will look at their squad and think the same.
Rugby is undergoing a covid-induced recession, the salary cap has shrunk by £1.4M and a marquee spot has disappeared. Yes, there was a moritorium 2 years ago, where most players will have signed new 2-year contracts; and those are coming due this summer.

Oh i do think Baxter will have a plan up his sleeve of how to improve us and new tactics, he always has done
Baxter is so hugely intertwined with Chiefs and so dominant there that he's a huge risk for them as well as a massive asset. He's way way beyond a coach's normal shelf life and one day - possibly soon - he'll inevitably run out of ideas or energy or both. When he does need replacing, Chiefs will need a damned good succession plan and possibly a ruthless streak.

To be fair - I think everyone will look at their squad and think the same.
Rugby is undergoing a covid-induced recession, the salary cap has shrunk by £1.4M and a marquee spot has disappeared. Yes, there was a moritorium 2 years ago, where most players will have signed new 2-year contracts; and those are coming due this summer.
I do agree with this its never going to be easy for any team going forward into next season, but to lose 3 locks as well as a winger thats been first choice and played almost every game and also to be in quite bad form its a very tough one.

But i do get your point.

I do agree with this its never going to be easy for any team going forward into next season, but to lose 3 locks as well as a winger thats been first choice and played almost every game and also to be in quite bad form its a very tough one.

But i do get your point.
Looks at the table...

Looks further down...

Remembers to scroll past the 12th team of 12...

Still can't find any sympathy ;)

Looks at the table...

Looks further down...

Remembers to scroll past the 12th team of 12...

Still can't find any sympathy ;)
Haha, i dont want sympathy, hence posting on the Chiefs thread. Bath dont have my sympathy either...just be better ;);)joking obv.

There are quite a few ageing clubs stars at the chiefs that also need replacing soon as well. It does look like the next few seasons could be a minor rebuild but I would have expected some more signings being announced sometime soon for next season.

Times reporting that Salvi has left his position as defence coach.

In the same article it says that Baxter and Hepher have both been in place since 2009 and Hunter (forwards coach) since 2013. That's great in so many ways, but must also be pretty stale by now. Any organisation needs a managed flow of new blood and fresh thinking.

Latest posts