• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

For talking rot.

I thought red for a little bit cause I'd be a crypto billionaire, but $10 million means I don't need to do any work to have a shitload of cash.

Bill Murray Movie GIF by Hollywood Suite

It's Groundhog Day.

FFCAB40E-8424-44D8-A020-B258E3502925.jpeg

Spot the two cats.😼😼 Apparently, you'll be in the top 1% of Sun readers

Solicitors and having to move house, god the whole process is awful.

I've now discovered numerous faults and I'm living in a flat above a complete psycho who spends large chunks of the day screaming... This has gone so very wrong.

I've only heard bad things lately regarding residential conveyancing solicitors. Unfortunately it never attracts the most diligent people in the profession and in busy times like now the bare minimum (or less in many cases) is the standard.

Hopefully things turn around you, it's a massive commitment and for it to go wrong is painful.

Got into a big argument with one residential conveyancing solicitor 3 years ago ending up with a complaint to the legal ombudsman . Was a local one but was part of a 6 buying a freehold interest so had little choice at the time. Big lesson - don't choose one based on how low a fee quote they give you.

They will skimp and spend as little time as possible on the transaction. You're only as good as the fee they charge you.

To add to my woes, the toilet wouldn't stop flushing so that's about 3 hours of constant running water I'll have to pay for in addition to emergency plumber (had to call 5 different ones before someone turned up)... Turns out the flush mechanism in the toilet was completely buggered. I am so ****** off with the seller right now, they didn't disclose so many issues.

Add waiting ages to try to get through to the energy supplier... House moving is so painful.

Last edited:
As a matter of interest, for anyone who might know more than is simply found on Google, what are the chances of something actually being done against a neighbour who is frequently yelling and screaming at the top of their lung (over the phone, it's not a domestic argument or anything) and how liable is the previous owner for both lying to my face about it when I asked when I visited and then not mentioning anything on the form where it said if a complaint had been made or if there was cause for complaint. I can say with certainty there would have been cause.

I'm in a leasehold flat and there are certain requirements on the tenants to not make too much noise but it specifies how (instruments, music, speakers, singing, DIY etc) but does not actually explicitly say simply yelling and screeching. I'd assume that would be covered under the bleeding obvious but then also know law can leave nice little loopholes, especially when you have a lot of things listed explicitly.

As a matter of interest, for anyone who might know more than is simply found on Google, what are the chances of something actually being done against a neighbour who is frequently yelling and screaming at the top of their lung (over the phone, it's not a domestic argument or anything) and how liable is the previous owner for both lying to my face about it when I asked when I visited and then not mentioning anything on the form where it said if a complaint had been made or if there was cause for complaint. I can say with certainty there would have been cause.

I'm in a leasehold flat and there are certain requirements on the tenants to not make too much noise but it specifies how (instruments, music, speakers, singing, DIY etc) but does not actually explicitly say simply yelling and screeching. I'd assume that would be covered under the bleeding obvious but then also know law can leave nice little loopholes, especially when you have a lot of things listed explicitly.

I can't help you re the neighbour but you might have a misrepresentation claim against the previous owner if they concealed information and in doing so induced you into the sale. The only problem being that the remedy is damages and its hard to quantify what that would be in this case, how does one quantify the diminuation in value in a case like this considering its not a structural defect? Could be that you have a legitimate case but aren't entitled to anything more than nominal damages which is a bit of a **** place to be admittedly.

More info: https://www.ashtonslegal.co.uk/insights/news-for-individuals/misrepresentation-in-property/#:~:text=Property Misrepresentation,-If the buyer&text=Misrepresentation is where one party,decision to enter into it.

If you haven't already it might be worth consulting a solicitor and the police - I'm not sure exactly how they could help but this is obviously one of the biggest transactions and commitments of your life and this would only cost time at first instance.

Doesn't it come under Caveat Emptor?
Possibly but a seller is bound to make certain disclosures to a buyer upon request. I haven't done much work in property and none in residential property so I couldn't tell you if the above is such a disclosure. It could also be that no complaints were made and the seller is just lucky that there's nothing to disclose.

The sale of property is a transaction that heavily favours the seller though.

Doesn't it come under Caveat Emptor?
This is what I read but I've also read that if you directly ask them a question and they tell you an outright lie, that isn't covered. I explicitly asked what the neighbours were like and if there were any noise problems, which they denied. I now find that there is screaming and shouting multiple times every single day at all times, including beyond midnight, from someone who was in the flat at the same time as the previous tenant. Of course I have no record that I asked this question. I think if I had recorded it though, I'd have more of a case as it was an outright lie that influenced my decision to buy it (there were 2 other flats in the same set of flats going cheaper).

Latest posts