Club or Nation
Leinster

Heineken%20Cup.png

Zebre.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Connacht.png

Stadio XXV Aprile - 13/10/2012 (14:35)

TV: Sky Italia​

I feel like I just saw this match in the Pro12. And Connacht have more to them than they did at that last meeting should be another win.

They'll probably be mad after this last loss, so I'm thinking they'll take that to Zebre and really put the pedal to the metal.

Haha, if anyone wants a good case for cutting the number of teams in the Heineken Cup I'd advise watching this!

This would be one of the most important and thrilling matches. In the Amlin. (#notbitteratall)

Knowing BO down the years, that'll never be a surprise. If they have a favourites tag and swagger into a match, they'll get beat. If they're written off before a much bigger opposition (e.g. Toulouse, Lwinster, Tigers), they'll go and win.

I think they just hate bookmakers.

Connacht starting XV

1. Denis Buckley
2. Ethienne Reynecke
3. Nathan White (C)
4. Michael Swift
5. Mike McCarthy
6. John Muldoon
7. Willie Faloon
8. George Naoupu
9. Kieran Marmion
10. Dan Parks
11. Fetu'u Vainikolo
12. Dave McSharry
13. Eoin Griffin
14. Tiernan O'Halloran
15. Robbie Henshaw

Replacements

16. Adrian Flavin
17. Rodney Ah You
18. Ronan Loughney
19. Dave Gannon
20. Johnny O'Connor
21. Dave Moore
22. Miah Nikora
23. Mata Fifita

Four changes to the pack, including a whole new front row, and John Muldoon returns from injury and replaces Dave Gannon in the back row.

Last edited:
If you want more evidence of why Zebre should be in the Amlin Challenge Cup (unless they do well enough in the RaboPro12) and not the Heineken Cup. Then just look at the crowd attendance they brought to this match. A mere 2,000. Granted Connacht may not be a big draw, but that is over 3 times smaller than the next lowest attendance of 6,500 at Edinburgh.

Zebre just give Biarritz a guaranteed 10 points and a good opportunity to get a best runners up spot (despite them clearly not being a top 8 side in Europe), and give Harlequins a good opportunity to get top seeds for the quarter finals.

Ridicolous there is a group with Toulouse (Top 14 champions), Ospreys (RaboPro12 champions), Leicester (Premiership runners up). Whilst there also being a group with Biarritz (9th in Top 14 last season), Zebre (newly formed replacement for whipping boys Aironi) and Connacht (8th in the RaboPro12).

One group has three teams near the top of their leagues. Whilst another has got two mediocre sides, and one side who will be lucky to get a point.

While I agree that the pools are kind of stupid in that sense, I feel that it could make out for the best games, since three top sides playing one another and three not as good teams playing each other would make for closer games, which is typically what people want to see, as opposed to three blow outs. (Plus, this makes it easier for Connacht to possibly get a chance to move on!)

Despite the fact that Biarritz SHOULD be beneficiaries of the draw (AGAIN) I have to agree with Duck that it is not right that we could qualify for the knock outs and far better teams do not.......I think we are winners in this particular lottery as a reward for our past successes in the H Cup giving us the seeding............

If you want more evidence of why Zebre should be in the Amlin Challenge Cup (unless they do well enough in the RaboPro12) and not the Heineken Cup. Then just look at the crowd attendance they brought to this match. A mere 2,000. Granted Connacht may not be a big draw, but that is over 3 times smaller than the next lowest attendance of 6,500 at Edinburgh.

Zebre just give Biarritz a guaranteed 10 points and a good opportunity to get a best runners up spot (despite them clearly not being a top 8 side in Europe), and give Harlequins a good opportunity to get top seeds for the quarter finals.

Ridicolous there is a group with Toulouse (Top 14 champions), Ospreys (RaboPro12 champions), Leicester (Premiership runners up). Whilst there also being a group with Biarritz (9th in Top 14 last season), Zebre (newly formed replacement for whipping boys Aironi) and Connacht (8th in the RaboPro12).

One group has three teams near the top of their leagues. Whilst another has got two mediocre sides, and one side who will be lucky to get a point.

To be fair before this and last season Edinburgh barely ever got more than 3,000 for any sort of game.

Latest posts