Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Heineken Cup.png

Aviva Stadium, Dublin - (07/04/2012, 17:45)

Leinster.png
Versus H-Cup.png
Cardiff.png

Ref: Dave Pearson (England)

Leinster: Rob Kearney, Isa Nacewa, Brian O’Driscoll, Gordon D’Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald, Jonathan Sexton, Eoin Reddan, Cian Healy, Richardt Strauss, Mike Ross, Leo Cullen, Brad Thorn, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip
Replacements: Sean Cronin, Heinke van der Merwe, Nathan White, Devin Toner, Shane Jennings, Isaac Boss, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden

Cardiff: Leigh Halfpenny, Alex Cuthbert, Casey Laulala, Dafydd Hewitt, Tom James, Dan Parks, Lloyd Williams,
Xavier Rush (c), Martyn Williams, Michael Paterson, James Down, Bradley Davies, Scott Andrews, Marc Breeze, Gethin Jenkins
Replacements: Kristian Dacey, John Yapp, Sam Hobbs, Macauley Cook, Maama Molitika, Richie Rees, Ceri Sweeney, Gavin Evans

Last edited:
Not looking forward to this at all. If Leinster fire, and the Blues don't step it up a number of gears, this could be an embarrassment.

Luckily, Linster don't have an amazing scrum to take full advantage of the Blues weakness in this area, and having Gethin Jenkins back will make a difference. I still expect the Blues to be going backwards if they start with Andrews at 3. Having Jenkins, Rush, Paterson and Martyn Williams back will bolster the Blues pack, and offer some much needed grunt.

Roberts is going to be a massive loss. Hewitt will come in and try to do a similar job, but whilst a decent squad player for Pro12 games, he's not up to much at this level. Saying that, it's not really mattered much who the Blues have outside the 10, because both Parks and Sweeney are a bit pants. If by some miracle the outside backs do get some quality ball then they could do some damage, especially Laulala, Cuthbert and Halfpenny, but it's been a while since that's happened.

Ultimately, I can see a Leinster win by at least a 20 point margin, and wouldn't be surprised if it were closer to a 40 point margin, because the Blues are just a mess at the moment.

The only hope that the Blues will have is if Leinster come along and take the win for granted.

In reality it's going to be tough going for the Blues with number of players out injured, lack of cohesion and a coaching team that lacks any form of brain will lead to the Blues demise here.

I have never wanted a Welsh region to lose in the Heineken before.

Until now. Nothing personal against Cardiff I just think it is a disgrace how they are being run and coached. A step back to take a step forward maybe?

Luckily, Linster don't have an amazing scrum to take full advantage of the Blues weakness in this area, and having Gethin Jenkins back will make a difference. I still expect the Blues to be going backwards if they start with Andrews at 3.

I already saw Andrews play Leinster in a RaboPro12 game this season, he was destroyed by that Cian Healy ...

to be honest though, the Cardiff Blues are lucky to be in the quarter finals, there are a number of teams not qualified for the quarter finals who would have topped that group easily, but they got a lucky draw thanks to being seeded fourth due to their Amlin Cup win in 2010

Im only supporting Cardiff here because if Leinster win the Cup again..... well lets say i no a very cocky Leinster Fan

I already saw Andrews play Leinster in a RaboPro12 game this season, he was destroyed by that Cian Healy ...

to be honest though, the Cardiff Blues are lucky to be in the quarter finals, there are a number of teams not qualified for the quarter finals who would have topped that group easily, but they got a lucky draw thanks to being seeded fourth due to their Amlin Cup win in 2010

They played what was infront of them and given to them. Not their fault they got to the QF's, what would you want them to do just keel over and allow others to go through because they played what was infront of them in the group stages.

They played what was infront of them and given to them. Not their fault they got to the QF's, what would you want them to do just keel over and allow others to go through because they played what was infront of them in the group stages.

what's your point?

I'm just saying that there is no way they are one of the best 8 European teams this season and were lucky to get that group

I'm looking forward to this as long as we don't get complacent we should win with a bit to spare.

what's your point?

I'm just saying that there is no way they are one of the best 8 European teams this season and were lucky to get that group

You calling them lucky. Not hard to put the math together. You play whats given to you. So what if other's got a harder group, Blues got given an easier group and progressed not their fault.

Last edited:
They were lucky in that they got a very handy draw. I don't see the problem with saying that.

I reckon Cardiff have got every chance of winning here...

Really not expecting a win or a close result in all honesty, hopefully we can stop the score from being silly even if we have to play the game by spiling it, Jenkins back in the front row will be vital to any ball at the breakdown and in the scrum, as Dullonien with a few players back in the scrum hopefully we can put a bit of a fight up but even when we do get anything from the scrum the backs will be vital in their work Cuthbert and Halfpenny wont be able to do it on their own and I can see too much coming from Gavin Evans and Hewitt in the Centre not sure who else will play James or Czakaj either way one is out of form the other is not the best, its going to be a tough tough ride and hopefully the score can be kept down to a 15 point loss.

Hopefully Fitzy has a big game and O'Malley makes the bench. I want it to be a contest but after 40 mins Leinster will rip them apart. Not good preparation for the clermont game (clermont shud win).

Leinster team named:

Rob Kearney, Isa Nacewa, Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald, Jonathan Sexton, Eoin Reddan, Cian Healy, Richardt Strauss, Mike Ross, Leo Cullen, Brad Thorn, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip
Replacements: Sean Cronin, Heinke van der Merwe, Nathan White, Devin Toner, Shane Jennings, Isaac Boss, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden

Uber harsh on Devin Toner. He's been our best lock this year so leaving him out for a short term player is a bit classless. Still, this is knock out rugby, and you've got to name what you think to be your best team every game. No doubt Seanie at 7 will be the major issue of debate.

And here's the Cardiff one:

Cardiff: Leigh Halfpenny, Alex Cuthbert, Casey Laulala, Dafydd Hewitt, Tom James, Dan Parks, Lloyd Williams,
Xavier Rush (c), Martyn Williams, Michael Paterson, James Down, Bradley Davies, Scott Andrews, Marc Breeze, Gethin Jenkins
Replacements: Kristian Dacey, John Yapp, Sam Hobbs, Macauley Cook, Maama Molitika, Richie Rees, Ceri Sweeney, Gavin Evans

I would have gone for Devin Toner instead of Leo Cullen but will concede that Joe Schmidt knows slightly more about rugby than I do.

Strange we've gone for nearly are most physical team. Makes some sense as if we starve Cardiff of quick ball they have no chance, they also don't have a great scrum or lineout. Is tough on Toner but it would have been tough on whoever was left out. Would rather McFadden starting over D'arcy of course but he looked good against Munster, of course has a better understanding with BO'D and isn't up against the greatest 12 so not overly bothered at the moment.

Latest posts