• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Clemont Auvergne

How did Keatley and Carr get on does anyone know? Always nice to see our former young lads doing well.

Word is leaking out that Jonny Sexton may have broken his jaw yesterday. Bo!!ocks. He'll be out for 3-6 weeks.

I thought it looked like that when they were treating it on the field.
He played on though, so hopefully not too serious a break.

Massive blow if Sexton's jaw is broke.
I seen it too on the tv but didn't think it was serious just a bang from clash of heads or something.

That will really disrupt Leinster as Berne is the back-up 10 but like goal-kicking isn't dependable.

To me Berne has proved a capable back up for Sexton this season. His goal kicking aint up to scratch but he unleashed messers Dorce and Drico well and never really put a foot wrong. Kinda reminds me of when Contepomi got injured and Sexton had to step up or when Kearney got injured and Nacewa had to step up. It was Berne who delivered the decisive pass that gave Shaggy and BOD an overlap for the bonus point try against Brive.

But while we're on the subject of back up out halves, I was wondering how Ian McKinley's eye is getting along? What do you know snoopy?

King D'Arcy I agree Berne is good replacement in open play but at this stage of competition the defenses are much tougher and goal-kicking is a massive area in games.
Like if you look even at Leinster vs Clermont had Clermont had a kicker they would have won when you calculate up points they left behind.

But while we're on the subject of back up out halves, I was wondering how Ian McKinley's eye is getting along? What do you know snoopy?
I'm not in the loop onthat one I'm afraid. Last I heard was that the injury, while serious, isn't as serious as first feared. He should be back next season. Joe Schmidt has worked wonders with Brock James (for the most part). I look forward to seeing what he can do with Jonny Sexton, Ian McKinley, Ian Madigan and, if they're brought into the full academy, Noel Reid and Cathal Marsh.

Like if you look even at Leinster vs Clermont had Clermont had a kicker they would have won when you calculate up points they left behind.
James did leave a lot of points behind but why not use the same method for calculating what Leinster should have scored? Had the TMO given Eoin Reddan's try and had Anthony Floch not (understandably) knocked the ball on, Leinster would have scored another 14 points. Sexton missed a penalty and a drop goal - 6 more points. Had Horgan not been charged down needlessly, that's 7 less points for ASM. Final score: Leinster 49 - 21 Clermont Auvergne!

I'm not a fan of pointing out how many points were left behind by a kicker who had a poor day at the office. In James' case, he played a massive part in two of Malzieu's tries but that's hardly mentioned in match reports.

Last edited:
True Snoop but in overview you have to agree goal-kicking at this stage is a massive area. And Reddan's try was inconclusive so that can hardly be called points left behind but i understand your point. But especially away in France there will be times when under the cosh that a 3pointer could be vital for mentality etc

Sounds like good news about McKinley. I heard there were serious fears he would lose sight in that eye permanently.

I have to agree with you about kicking being important at this stage munstermuffin, but, assuming Sexton is injured, it's not like we're losing a world class place kicker either way. Still would be a pretty big loss though.

Still Sexton is a class-act kicker when on form.
But was reading in paper he had surgery yesterday and standard recovery time is 3-4weeks and Leinster are hopeful he will make semi-final.

thought healy played well. except for the scrum. he could be a great player if his scrummaging was up to scratch. I think he could improve his scrummaging if he worked with a scrum coach. It's worked for Buckley anyway. does leinster/ireland have a scrum coach?

Latest posts