• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

McAlister heading to Sale

R

raven ravin

Word on the grapevine is that Luke McAlister is heading over to Sale for the 07/08 season, and i was hoping someone on this forum could confirm/quash this rumour for me? If it is true, then that completes a very accomplished backline and fills a need at centre

It's a strong rumour at the moment, but there's still nothing official.

Still, I heard it in the same place that I heard Spencer would be moving to Northampton originally, so the source is reliable.

personal opinion i reconk mccalsiter has another world cup in him he is quite young

2 years as a NH mercenary before heading back to NZ to win an AB shirt again wouldn't be beyond him. though; There's no rule that says he need to remain contracted to the NZRFU between world cups.

i dont understand why he wants to leave (money a factor) but i remember him saying that he wants to be a starting player for the AB's or else he'll leave, next year with mauger going off shores surely he'll be number 1 number 12?

blardy rich clubs!!

imho, mcalister is on his way to becoming one of the greats if not one of the greatest 12s in the game. his game breaking ability is just superb. by the time he is mauger's age, supposing he stays in NZ, he'd probably be a semi living legend in his own right.

maybe im just biased becos he's an auckland blue as well as an AB.

Him and Toeava have the ability to form probably the greatest All Black Centre Pairing i've ever seen, although the only "great" pairing I've ever seen with my own two eyes was the Little/Bunce duo, and they both have the ability to exceed that.

Spot on the with Bunce and Walter Little.
Sale should save their money and buy and up and coming young star called 'Lavea'.

Unlucky Ripper. [/b]

<_< Unlucky to the rest of the country too...McAllister must be out of his mind. I remember hearing about Steve Hansen saying that it was best for McAllister to continue his rugby here in New Zealand but it looks unlikely now with McAllister responding a 'no' to the 'near-future All Black' coach.

he seems pretty keen to move over after this world cup instead of waiting till after the next one. there is a very slim chance he will stay in nz I think and wait till 2011 cup when he would be 28.

Apparently he was keen on Toulouse as well.

Still calling it as just trying to wring more money out of the NZRFU, and with them not having to pay the likes of Hayman, Jack and Mauger they must have have alot in the war kitty to cough up.

Apparently he was keen on Toulouse as well.

Still calling it as just trying to wring more money out of the NZRFU, and with them not having to pay the likes of Hayman, Jack and Mauger they must have have alot in the war kitty to cough up. [/b]
they still can't compete with overseas deals and while he said he hadn't signed anything he obviously wants to head overseas. theres no reason for mccallister to hold out for more money the nzru will have offered as much as they can already. they really want hm to stay.

i still think the NZRFU should make a 3 year standown from the all blacks for players returning.

no, luke macallister will go to Toulouse in France [/b]

That Ship Sailed a Looooooooong time ago when Toulouse sent Men to NZ and the McAlisters preety much stuffed around with them.

I'm also a bit suspicious as to why he's left it so late in the season to make the call. Mauger, Jack, Hayman were all signed up and decided quite some time ago. If he's so keen to go to the Manchester region so specifically (as the articles have been quoting) why is he still talking about it?

I guess I'm just hopeful NZ can hang on to him. Otherwise Carter's gunna have to move back to 12.

Also, is there some sort of cut-off date for Premiership clubs in terms of player signings? Or can a player sign a new contract and join a team whenever they want?

I remember reading something about teams having till June (i.e a month and a half ago) to register players? Although that may have been for the European Tournament.

Yeah mate, thats exactly what I was hinting at when I asked the question a. I'm also sure they said June too. That's why I was sure he was staying until he had that recent interview. Time will tell I guess.

The potential for McAlister/Toeava backline is incredible though. Considering they're 23 and 21 years old. Add Evans at 1st 5 and Rokocoko and Howlett on the wings you've got the worlds best club backline, at the Blues.

Latest posts