• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Cycling season

OK, I'm in majority then irrespective of what Rich thinks!

The TdF is the only grand tour Froome's won. Couple of runners up spots in the Vuelta, but not in TdF winning years.

He's won the Dauphine in 2013, 2015, and this year. Spotting a pattern?

OK, I'm in majority then irrespective of what Rich thinks!

The TdF is the only grand tour Froome's won. Couple of runners up spots in the Vuelta, but not in TdF winning years.

He's won the Dauphine in 2013, 2015, and this year. Spotting a pattern?

Right - could not be arsed to check but appreciate the info!!
@Rich Taff always agrees with me so no worries?!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah, It's nice to be unpredictable @Tony Manx

I'm not sure on 7's. It was there many many moons ago, and is short and quick enough to be entertaining.

Cycling definitely deserves to be in the Olympics. Think the most exciting race I've seen in the last 5 years was Laura Trott in the Omnium's Elimination race in London.

Crazy change in weather today, just as my broadband packed in at 6pm. Managed to finally get off hold with Talk Talk at 6:52, just to see the final attacks. Was wondering why Froome wasn't going for it, then realised he was on G's bike (nice dragon decal on it).
attachment.php

PS. Don't forget Gaston also reads this thread! ;)

Attachments

• gds.jpg
    gds.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
do not know enough about the sport but why did Froome not get his replacement bike after the fall,he took the taff bike but was never given his own replacement bike (which if you did not see slipped on the greasy middle white line) there was plenty of time and going uphill for most of the last 10/15kms would have been easy for him to change without loosing any or little time.??? must admit i have never seen as many individiual falls in one stage, some very spectacular.

I was wondering that as well. My guess is that the team car with his spare was just too far behind, which can happen if the field's strung out, and decided not to disrupt him at the sharp end. Thomas presumably did wait for his spare and eventually finished 6 minutes behind Froome which suggests there may have been a gap. Any better ideas?

Yeah, the car was about 6minutes behind. Explained it in the interview afterwards.

I've seen the final (non-processional) stage, but not commenting on it so there are no spoilers for you guys.

I've seen the final (non-processional) stage, but not commenting on it so there are no spoilers for you guys.

Very kind of you Sir!

Got to see the last few minutes of it and enjoyed Froome's smile at the end knowing a job well done.

Shame Yates could not hang on to a podium but great ride to the white jersey.....and Quintana woke up finally!!!

Reference change of bike..... apparently the car did catch up with him but only when he got to the ascent and he did not want to waste the time changing in case there was a break!

David Millar on commentary said they race officials should have allowed them priority so that he could have changed earlier but disagree on that.

So that's it for another year - enjoyed it but would have been much more fun to see Froome seriously challenged!!

although i think Froome is the best at the moment, i think on what little i know about the sport, his team must take massive credit, every stage he is surrounded by minimum 4 riders if not more (looks like the best babysiting job i have ever seen) no other team really had this same attitude mentally or physically, so for me the team must get congratulated but then again what do i know.!!!!!!!

although i think Froome is the best at the moment, i think on what little i know about the sport, his team must take massive credit, every stage he is surrounded by minimum 4 riders if not more (looks like the best babysiting job i have ever seen) no other team really had this same attitude mentally or physically, so for me the team must get congratulated but then again what do i know.!!!!!!!

Agreed. I said when they announced the team that it was the strongest I've ever seen. 3 or 4 of those guys would have been GC contenders in other teams. Pouls was incredible.

I think another difference was the complete unselfishness of them. They had one job - to win the GC, and they did it with aplomb.

I'm curious as to how the organisers may try to 'Sky-proof' next years race, as there doesn't appear to be any weakness in the team at the moment.

yes the unselfishness was when Froome went down and his team mate, (the welshie) just gave him his bike,and he waited for the replacement, would that happen in any of the other teams????

yes the unselfishness was when Froome went down and his team mate, (the welshie) just gave him his bike,and he waited for the replacement, would that happen in any of the other teams????

Yes! That is what they are paid so well to do.....

The teams have one guy as their big hope whether for the GC or green jersey and the domestiques job is to make sure they have the best chance. When they have two guys say Wiggins and Cavendish, going for different jerseys, that is when one of them suffers as Cavendish did.

My understanding is that the leaders of the teams are on huge salaries (5+million) whereas the domestiques are on substantially less - but still often big bucks. But the prize money won by the winner is usually spread out amongst the team. Kind of an incentive to work hard for him?

Evidenced when Froome himself broke clear on a mountain stage, and heading for the GC lead, was ordered to slow and wait for his team mate Wiggins who was in the GC lead but in trouble. Wiggins went on to win when many thought Froome was the better rider!

just had an interview with Froome on Sky news this morning, he lives just outside Nice and trains a lot down there as Sky have a base on the coast. seems like a genuine guy and he reckons the sport is today much cleaner, but there will always be exceptions.

Any other sport where the final run in is unchallenged to the extent that the winner carries beers up to his team members on the run from the start to the "Depart" and then has a glass of champers with a commissar!!

Yes! That is what they are paid so well to do.....

The teams have one guy as their big hope whether for the GC or green jersey and the domestiques job is to make sure they have the best chance. When they have two guys say Wiggins and Cavendish, going for different jerseys, that is when one of them suffers as Cavendish did.

My understanding is that the leaders of the teams are on huge salaries (5+million) whereas the domestiques are on substantially less - but still often big bucks. But the prize money won by the winner is usually spread out amongst the team. Kind of an incentive to work hard for him?

Evidenced when Froome himself broke clear on a mountain stage, and heading for the GC lead, was ordered to slow and wait for his team mate Wiggins who was in the GC lead but in trouble. Wiggins went on to win when many thought Froome was the better rider!

Its a curious mix; in some respects it's the ultimate individual sport and in others the ultimate team sport.

One of these years I want to see the BBC choking on their cornflakes as they award Sky team of the year at SPOTY. But it'll never happen even if they win every stage, take all the jerseys and are 1 -9 in the GC in each grand tour.....

Well done to Froome and Sky. Well deserved. Frankly I think most rivals were beaten in their own minds before a pedal was turned in anger, but if would be good to see someone really take up the fight next year. I'd also like to see Froome have a real crack at the Giro or the Vuelta, but it's clear he builds his whole year around the Tour and is likely to keep doing so.

4 of the last 5 Tours won by Brits and who knows what would have happened if Froome had managed to stay upright in 2014!

Its a curious mix; in some respects it's the ultimate individual sport and in others the ultimate team sport.

One of these years I want to see the BBC choking on their cornflakes as they award Sky team of the year at SPOTY. But it'll never happen even if they win every stage, take all the jerseys and are 1 -9 in the GC in each grand tour.....

Well done to Froome and Sky. Well deserved. Frankly I think most rivals were beaten in their own minds before a pedal was turned in anger, but if would be good to see someone really take up the fight next year. I'd also like to see Froome have a real crack at the Giro or the Vuelta, but it's clear he builds his whole year around the Tour and is likely to keep doing so.

4 of the last 5 Tours won by Brits and who knows what would have happened if Froome had managed to stay upright in 2014!

He is to race twice in Olympics and then the Vuelta.....can't see him taking either less than seriously!

Agree about BBC though!!!

Guess with no sprinter, Sky had no alternative but to attack and that they did......

G looked out on his feet just before they finally caught him - BBC lost mobile coverage at the crucial time and ruined the ending!! Thought Stannard would have done better considering he had a fairly easy last 50km?

Bodes will for next week which is probably the only event I will be watching from Rio.........

Any other sport where the final run in is unchallenged to the extent that the winner carries beers up to his team members on the run from the start to the "Depart" and then has a glass of champers with a commissar!!

the old Racing Club de France used to wear pink bowties, during games and drink champagne at half time that was the era of Charvet, JB Lafond and Frank Mesnal, before it turned pro thats for sure. the pink bowtie is the emblem of Eden Park the upmarket clothes company owned by Frank Mesnel.

Latest posts