• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 2018/19 Round 1

I would guess at knock on?
I think you have to regather/be in control - same reason you can't knock on and kick it claiming it was a drop goal attempt

Haha sorry, we've only won 1 prem game since January, I've forgotten how to handle it in a dignified manner
It was a good, and deserved, win for Quins.
Tapuai and Earle have been two great additions.

Last edited:
I would guess at knock on?
I think you have to regather/be in control - same reason you can't knock on and kick it claiming it was a drop goal attempt

It was a good, and deserved, win for Quins.
Tapuai and Earle have been two great additions.

Well Wayne Barnes said it went backwards, so it was no knock on. Just found it interesting because as I said it seems to be a bit of a gray area, unless Wayne Barnes just made a mistake.

Exeter are just taking the **** now
That run and offload from Slade was ridiculous

Leicester look the same as last year, once they miss a tackle or the defensive line is broken they are all over the place. Set piece, especially line out still a major issue. Attack plays so one dimensional it's unreal. Youngs gets the ball at the ruck, and far too often they just run it straight into the defence with no impact. I honestly couldn't see top 4 before the start of the season and I don't see it now.

Thank you for proving my point about playing down the rivalry, must be a young 'in as it started in 1984 for very obvious reasons. Only over the last 8 or so years, due to the ridiculous domestic league format aiding Bris' absence from the top tier has it lost its edge but was there again for all to see on Friday night. Sure all the boisterous Barf fans in the Robins didn't see the match as a derby/big game, haha. The look on the Barf faces at the final whistle. Just as your advertising around Bristol isn't daring us to show for The Clash at Twickenham. But it's okay, nobody can see right through you and carry on downplaying the rivalry and toxicity of numerous fans of yours then tell me what to do here. Lol

Anyhoo... Catching up with the Quins Sale game, just in second half. Certainly entertaining and pretty even. The only side that looked like relegation fodder so far is Leicester(!) Who couldn't string more than a handful of phases together in the second half, even with all their superstars. Surely just a blip?

It's definitely not Bristol's fault they spent so long in the championship, no siree.

What's all this hooplah about Goneva today? Didn't see the game but seen a bunch of stuff on Twitter about him doing something controversial but no clip or real explanation

*Crumpton on for Quins, g'wan lad. We didn't want him to leave Bris. Hope he goes well. Also ex-Bris Glynn, Cliff and Philips also gone okay.

It's definitely not Bristol's fault they spent so long in the championship, no siree.

What's all this hooplah about Goneva today? Didn't see the game but seen a bunch of stuff on Twitter about him doing something controversial but no clip or real explanation
Yeah those abolished playoffs were really fair and a great way to gauge which side would be most successful in the premiership. Wait...

As for Goneva, pretty good thinking. Took a sly tap and probably deserved a try, Alex Sanderson diplomatically implied it was good but he was obviously against it because it went against Sarries. Definitely try to find some clips, worth checking out.

*edit

Sale imploding. Think that's the game at over two scores.

Conveniently ignoring when you got promoted and then relegated straight away again...
Still under the play-off system which shafts recruitment, planning and investment. Thanks for pointing that out. Let's see what happens this year without them, shall we?

Not just playoffs either, the funding of the second tier is shocking. The officiating is poor. Ditto media coverage. We should be looking to ape France and properly build the game in this country. Bit off topic though.

Sorry, should I have included a trigger warning before presenting verifiable facts?

Happy to be young at 42 years old, though you are right in that I prefer not to live too far in the past.
How do you explain the 612 out of 674 Bath fans who see Glos as the bigger rivalry?

How about your outright lies about Bath board being riddled with 2 posters being so much more numerous than the dozens?

Ah, that's right, you can't, so you just down-vote like the Trump you were compared to. Alt-facts!

Oh yes, the clash - I don't live in Bristol, I've no idea what the advertising is saying. But if they're trying to sell tickets, then... Well... That's kinda their job

ETA, if you're trying to convince people that you're just just a chippy little shit... You're doing it wrong

Last edited:
Still under the play-off system which shafts recruitment, planning and investment. Thanks for pointing that out. Let's see what happens this year without them, shall we?
Not sure one of the richest clubs in the world was that hampered in their investment efforts.

They also recruited luke arscott, soane tongauiha, bevington, crane, Geraghty, Woodward, tuohy etc. that season
They weren't exactly scraping the barrel to supplement their multiple internationals (and record try scorer in varndell)

For clubs like London Welsh these are valid excuses, but not for Bristol who can pay enough to get tier 1 internationals playing championship rugby.

A fair number you mentioned came to us after half a season in the AP such as SG and JW. Dan Tuohy played for Weston Super-Mare before going pro so it was something of a homecoming also injured. Crane also went to Colstons. Arscott's father was a teacher in Bridgwater I think so again local and both brothers came through Bris as youngsters before returning. Both Arscotts left (along with the likes of Philips, Dave Attwood, etc) during the darkest days of almost extinction again after relegation and parachute payment stopping after winning league then losing play off to Exeter. Bad times. As a potential promotion candidate you have to pay over the odds for average premiership players, then multiply that for the pray off gamble. It's ugly and no way to fairly decide promotion when so much is at stake. We had internationals who said its the most high pressure matches they've played for that reason. Bit like the million pound game in rugby league, it's pretty disgusting and only done for a Bloodsport spectacle.

WT, stick to your spreadsheets. You do that more convincingly. :)

Ah, so you only like facts in spreadsheet form. I'm sure I can manage that. Do you prefer (more or less) 10:1 ratios displayed as pie of bar charts?

Oh, and I'm happy enough t say that Bristol are Bath's 3rd or 4th biggest rivals (much like Wales for England); and I've already acknowledged that Bath are probably Bristol's biggest, were just busy elsewhere.

On the Goneva try, yeah it's a try according to the laws. As for whether people think it's in the spirit of the game well that's personal. I'm fine with it tbh. Ian Tempest made his own rules there, because he can go TMO to check whether a try has been scored and overturn his decision.

Latest posts