• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Wales vs Italy- 10/03/2012, 14:30

I think it might be because Rees hasn't been involved with any of the games yet. Also looking at the starting 15, the only options were really Gethin, Rees or AWJ. I think it actually makes sense.

to be fair that was an away match, and Italy are poor away from home so I don't think Wales would struggle even if they did experiment

I remember from that Italy match in 2009 we learnt that Yapp, Rhys Thomas, Jon Thomas and Andy Powell were all not good enough so there was something to be taken from it

Yet Powell was picked for the Lions tour

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see Priestland's been given this game to get his confidence back up. If he brings the backs into the game we should get a few tries. Jamie Roberts has come off injured twice already so I'd have given him the week off for Scott to get another game under his belt, plus his record is 5 tries in 10 caps.

Surprised to see Jamie Roberts starting. He's been picking up a few ****les recently, I'd have given him another week off to make sure he's 100% for the France game. It also means that Beck won't get any gametime this 6 nations, which is a shame imo, considering his blistering form of late.

I hope Warburton's absense is temporary, we need him fit for the France match. More gametime for Tipuric is good though. Good to see Rees back.

Ultimately I'm not sure whether I'm happy about so little changes. On the one hand, it's never clever to underestimate Italy, however on the other making a few changes to give gametime to deserved players and to increase our depth would have been nice to see. We are still to relient on Adam Jones, and with Italy missing a prop or two, this could have been a good chance to give Craig Mitchell some gametime to develop a genuine replacement. Would have been nice to see Lloyd Williams start, especially considering Phillips' indifferent tournament so far.

Italy are rumoured to be resting Parisse who has a slight finger injury, he should be able to play but they are debating resting him for the Scotland match

I think Wales should be safe at home resting two or three players, Roberts and Hair Bear would be obvious players to rest

Surprised to see Jamie Roberts starting. He's been picking up a few ****les recently, I'd have given him another week off to make sure he's 100% for the France game. It also means that Beck won't get any gametime this 6 nations, which is a shame imo, considering his blistering form of late.

I hope Warburton's absense is temporary, we need him fit for the France match. More gametime for Tipuric is good though. Good to see Rees back.

Ultimately I'm not sure whether I'm happy about so little changes. On the one hand, it's never clever to underestimate Italy, however on the other making a few changes to give gametime to deserved players and to increase our depth would have been nice to see. We are still to relient on Adam Jones, and with Italy missing a prop or two, this could have been a good chance to give Craig Mitchell some gametime to develop a genuine replacement. Would have been nice to see Lloyd Williams start, especially considering Phillips' indifferent tournament so far.

Couldn't agree more,indifferent is a bit mild imo, slowing the game down way too much, taking on the opposition far too much and just generally indecisive. I can't help thinking that gatland is avoiding a major headache, if Williams started and played out of his skin(which he would probably do imo)he'd come under pressure to play him. Far safer to stick with reputation than form eh!

Gatland experimented once against Italy and it almost backfired, good to see that he has selected a strong side.

I agree up to a point, yes it's good he's picked a strong side but our squad players are a lot better than in previous seasons. I think every Welshman would hold a collective breath every time Roberts, Halfers or Lydiate etc gets tackled.

Team is too be expected in all honesty but I am slightly disapointed to see Jamie Roberts in the team why not givre him a rest and puit Williams or Beck in no disrespect to the Italians but Williams and Beck would be equal and better to what they got, no shock to see Adam Jones play as Italy as pretty strong in the scrum, also why is Phillips still there why not give WIlliams a run out never let us down and is the future especially with mr indifferent Philips, I thought Ryan Jones would of come in for Warburton but cant complain about Tipuric he ont let us down.

Really wanted to see Beck or Robinson get a run, but I can see what Warren is doing.
We've got a decent amount of options for hooker and second row now, now can we actually hit our bloody jumpers?!?

Mauro Birgamasco at 9, Mirco at 10? Oh my.

Italy have called up Aironi player Joshua Furno an Australian born lock to replace Carlo del Fava after he was injured for Aironi and ruled out of the six nations Furno who is 22 has one cap
What needs to be said here is that Furno, despite being born in Melbourne, was back in Italy at a child age. He is cousin of hooker Tommaso D'Apice, both have been formed at child and youth level at Benevento (little southern Italy town with strong rugby tradition, Perugini is from there too). From a rugby point of (which is what matters most here) he is as italian as any other italian born player. The likes of Ambrosini, Caminati, Socino etc. would be just some more poaching.

Yea,I wish! I'll settle for a close win with no injuries!

dude...it's in Cardiff. And it's Italy (minus Castrogiovani) VS Wales. Plus Wales already expressed their desire to make mash potato outta Italy just for intimidation's sake vis à vis France. Poor Italy.
Close win ?! I don't think so.

Funnily, Italy barring the England game have lost with more disastrous results in time. We gave em 30, the Irish 40. You guys'll give em...50 ?
They never won in Cardiff...

This game will nevertheless surely give good balance to this coming weekend, as the other two will be ruthless and bloody battles...

dude...it's in Cardiff. And it's Italy (minus Castrogiovani) VS Wales. Plus Wales already expressed their desire to make mash potato outta Italy just for intimidation's sake vis à vis France. Poor Italy.
Close win ?! I don't think so.

Funnily, Italy barring the England game have lost with more disastrous results in time. We gave em 30, the Irish 40. You guys'll give em...50 ?
They never won in Cardiff...

This game will nevertheless surely give good balance to this coming weekend, as the other two will be ruthless and bloody battles...

You're absolutely right, But a 50 point win against Italy will mean diddley squat if we lose 2 or 3 key players and lose to France because of it.

Here's the Italian team, guess we won't be seeing Bergamasco at 10:p

Italy: 15 Andrea Masi, 14 Luke McLean, 13 Gonzalo Canale, 12 Alberto Sgarbi, 11 Mirco Bergamasco, 10 Kristopher Burton, 9 Fabio Semenzato, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Simone Favaro, 6 Alessandro Zanni, 5 Cornelius Van Zyl, 4 Quintin Geldenhuys, 3 Lorenzo Cittadini, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Andrea Lo Cicero.
Replacements: 16 Tommaso D'Apice, 17 Fabio Staibano, 18 Marco Bortolami, 19 Robert Barbieri , 20 Tobias Botes, 21 Tommaso Benvenuti, 22 Giulio Toniolatti.

Quite glad Benvenuti has been benched, as I love him, but aside from that, I was hoping for a more experimnental team. Looks pretty strong, but I'd still fancy us to put quite a few past 'em come Saturday...

With that team it will be a dogfight, fitness levels will tell ultimately.

Can't believe Italy making 7 changes... take Wales easily at your peril azzuri ;)

A big lead after 50 minutes and bring off Adam jones and Jamie Roberts to rest, and also give Williams a go at scrum half, and Charteris some game time.

Simples?

Rhys Webb has replaced Lloyd Williams who has a slight calf strain.

I wanted to see Lloyd get a bit of time, but lets see what Webb can do.
Still a slight feeling that Roberts will get pulled just before the match and Beck will enter the 22.

Still a slight feeling that Roberts will get pulled just before the match and Beck will enter the 22.

I agree with this, had a feeling about this when the squad was announced. Shame about Lloyd Williams, but I have no problems with Rhys at all

I dont think Roberts will make the game tbh and in a way I am hopeful he dont and gets a good rest before the France game.

Latest posts