• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Wales vs Scotland (12-02-2012, 15:00)

Wales put in an incredible amount of tackling today - stats says 178 by far and away the most in the championship too date . The next was England on 144 , also against Scotland ! Priestland kicked far too much ball away for my liking thou. Have to say I was impressed with the Scottish pack but thought they played Denton too deep to break the line.

I only just watched the game having not been able to earlier on today first half very even altho Mike Phillips was rubbish took longer to pass a ball from the breakdown than it takes me to earn a weeks wages, his passing was pants and he is so greedy plus why does he take two hours to step back before kicking the ball? On top of that I have to ask why or why do we continue this farce of playing GREEDY boy at full back Hook didnt do anything to make me feel he has improved at all since the world cup still the same old player trying to get the headlines when the simple pass is on for someone else to gain position and possibly score he cuts back inside and passes the wrong way. Shingler for me deputised very well for Warburton but he is not at the same standard and Warburton will be sure to return against England, the other new boys Cuthbert today was a different player than the one that played Ireland he was much more involved today and put in a good performance and I for one am glad he got his first try for us. Jenkins altho returning from injury did nothing i'd expect less from he tackled well and put in a gutsy performance altho silly card at the end. Full back I think I would rather see Lee Byrne get a game or leave Leigh Halfpenny (providing North is out) there and get another winger in the game.

Scotland today for me defended very well, their speed in the break down was very good, Denton had a very good game and the new boy Hogg was it he did very well and Scotland brought him on at the right time he had nothing to lose so he had his chance and grabbed it deserves to start next game for them, also the Scottish try that was not given they were very very unlucky it was never a knock on! The Scottish pack killed us in the scrum was not to happy about that and again the line out is a constant problem for us goes to show how much we miss the animal Alan-wyn Jones who I for one is glad he will be back next time out against England.

The ref for me was not the best but not the worst today.

Last edited:
Spikey mike has been a different class since the world cup warm ups but was back to his indecisive trudging worst today. I'd give him the first twenty verses England and if he doesn't pull his head from his arse I'd switch him with Brynmor's boy... may not have Mike's physicality (who has) but is lightning from the base and out of hand.

Surprised to see so much negativity from French and English posters (not only in this forum) about the Welsh performance, Scotland were very good today and nobody who knows anything really thought today was going to be easy (particularly without Warburton). Happy with the win and feeling real positive that with our returnees Wales will be going to twickers with our engines just starting to purr.

I think Mike's biggest issue was that Poite was taking a very laissez faire stance with the rucks; most scrum halves would have a difficult time with the breakdown today.
The team at 80 minutes was quite interesting: Gethin (off, yellow), Owens, James, Evans, Reed, Powell, Shingler, Faletau; Williams, Priestland, Halfpenny, Williams, Davies, Cuthbert, Hook.
Next time we could have Rees, AW Jones, Warburton, and Tipuric all involved in the 22. Just waiting for North now.

Oh i see sorry im so used to people arguing with me i don't know which is a joke and which comment is serious i get you know tho pretty funny reply :D

I think Mike's biggest issue was that Poite was taking a very laissez faire stance with the rucks; most scrum halves would have a difficult time with the breakdown today.
The team at 80 minutes was quite interesting: Gethin (off, yellow), Owens, James, Evans, Reed, Powell, Shingler, Faletau; Williams, Priestland, Halfpenny, Williams, Davies, Cuthbert, Hook.
Next time we could have Rees, AW Jones, Warburton, and Tipuric all involved in the 22. Just waiting for North now.

So we could have a team of (depending on fitness):
1. Jenkins
2. Rees/Owens
3. Adam
4. Ryan
5. Evans
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton/Tipuric/Shingler
8. Faletau
9. Phillips (But for God's sake hurry up)
10. Priestland
11. North(probably not sadly)/Robinson (Why the Hell not, don't want Hook and can't remember who else we've got who can play there:p)
12. Roberts
13. Davies
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

Would rather not rush Alun-Wyn back but seeing as Gatland did with Jenkins he may well be, although he's not the best second row Edit: Ryan that is, not Alun Wyn.

Possible team v England compared to last two 22's. If North is fit then keep the same backline as the first two matches.

[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid, align: left"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]v Ireland[/TD]
[TD]v Scotland[/TD]
[TD]v England[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15
[/TD]
[TD]Halfpenny[/TD]
[TD]Halfpenny[/TD]
[TD]Hook[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Cuthbert[/TD]
[TD]Cuthbert[/TD]
[TD]Cuthbert[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]DaviesJJV[/TD]
[TD]DaviesJJV[/TD]
[TD]DaviesJJV[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Roberts[/TD]
[TD]Roberts[/TD]
[TD]Roberts[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]North[/TD]
[TD]North[/TD]
[TD]Halfpenny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Priestland[/TD]
[TD]Priestland[/TD]
[TD]Priestland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Phillips[/TD]
[TD]Phillips[/TD]
[TD]Phillips[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Gill[/TD]
[TD]Jenkins[/TD]
[TD]Jenkins[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Bennett[/TD]
[TD]Bennett[/TD]
[TD]Bennett[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]JonesAR[/TD]
[TD]JonesAR[/TD]
[TD]JonesAR[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]DaviesB[/TD]
[TD]JonesRP[/TD]
[TD]JonesAW[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Evans[/TD]
[TD]Evans[/TD]
[TD]Evans[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]JonesRP[/TD]
[TD]Lydiate[/TD]
[TD]Lydiate[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Warburton[/TD]
[TD]Shingler[/TD]
[TD]Warburton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Faletau[/TD]
[TD]Faletau[/TD]
[TD]Faletau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Owens[/TD]
[TD]Owens[/TD]
[TD]Owens[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]James[/TD]
[TD]James[/TD]
[TD]James[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Powell[/TD]
[TD]Reed[/TD]
[TD]JonesR[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Tipuric[/TD]
[TD]Powell[/TD]
[TD]Tipuric[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]WilliamsLD[/TD]
[TD]WilliamsLD[/TD]
[TD]WilliamsLD[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Hook[/TD]
[TD]Hook[/TD]
[TD]WilliamsS[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]WilliamsS[/TD]
[TD]WilliamsS[/TD]
[TD]Byrne[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

With regards to the Wales VI for England, I really hope that Halfpenny remains at 15 and isn't moved to wing to allow Hooky back in at fullback. Not only will Hook will never hit an inside line at pace from 15 but he looka like he is trying to hard right now, probably due to his poor world cup, so for me just a bench warmer at the mo. As for Halfpence, the man is a rock and seems to always make the right decisions at the right times. Maybe bring Brew in on the wing, he's got to come good eventually.
Apart from that it isn't rocket science, lions front row, AWJ & Evans, Lydiate, Warbs, Toby, Spikey Mike, Priestland, Dr Roberts, big jif, Cuthbert, Brew, 1/2 p. On the bench P James, Bennett, Ryan Jones, Tips, L Williams, S Williams, Hook.

With regards to the Wales VI for England, I really hope that Halfpenny remains at 15 and isn't moved to wing to allow Hooky back in at fullback. Not only will Hook will never hit an inside line at pace from 15 but he looka like he is trying to hard right now, probably due to his poor world cup, so for me just a bench warmer at the mo. As for Halfpence, the man is a rock and seems to always make the right decisions at the right times. Maybe bring Brew in on the wing, he's got to come good eventually.
Apart from that it isn't rocket science, lions front row, AWJ & Evans, Lydiate, Warbs, Toby, Spikey Mike, Priestland, Dr Roberts, big jif, Cuthbert, Brew, 1/2 p. On the bench P James, Bennett, Ryan Jones, Tips, L Williams, S Williams, Hook.
Yes, because the first four times weren't enough. Lad doesn't cut it at international level. I'd play Byrne on the wing if necessary (play as a back three, as discussed earlier in the thread). Henson could even be an option, but unlikely.

Entertaining game of rugby. The fifteen minute period in the second half where Scotland had two sin bins decided an otherwise even encounter. Scotland need to cut down on the errors and be more clinical in terms of scoring tries, while Wales still need to step it up a gear to the levels of their World Cup showing, although that is made increasingly difficult with the ever growing injury list.

Assuming Alun Wyn, George, Smiler and Sam are fit as expected, I'd play-

Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips (Although part of me would quite like to see Lloyd have a crack); Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Ryan Jones, Ian Evans, Danny Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Toby Faletau

Bench- Ken Owens, Paul James, Alun Wyn Jones, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams (Although I'd rather see Beck play, to be honest.)

Phillips had a poor game, which is nice as I was getting worryingly close to almost liking him, but aside from Matthew Rees, I'd like to see the team stay the same as the one that's playing so well right now. And hopefully Hook won't need to come on at half time again!

I'd bring Alun-Wyn straight back into the starting 15. Ryan Jones is a great player, but he simply lacks the grunt to play lock at international level. I think we'll need Alun-Wyn's workrate in the tight against England, especially if England have Lawes back. Hopfully North is fit, but if not, I'd bring Byrne onto the wing/fullback. Halfpenny is playing great no matter where he is. Thought he was superb in the second half when he was on the wing.

Hate to sound like a massive stalker now, but were you in the Poet's Corner on City Road today by any chance??!!

hahahahaha Yer I probably was. Thats my local :p :p hahahahaha Was there to watch Man Utd vs Liverpool match. Don't be shy next time, say hello! haha

So the game. I was tipped off by a good friend (and fellow forum member - not going to name names) at 11.36 yesterday morning that Warburton was out, But i was sworn to secrecy not to tell anyone (despite being a huge blab). So I was very interested to see how the backrow would change. All in all I thought Shingler did well, seemed more of a ball carrier than a ruck and maul disruptor, which showed a little in our game but he played well nevertheless.

Now as usual, this was (in my eye at least) an exiting match. With no disrespect to the Scottish team intended, our form always seems gets thrown out the window when we play them. We always take our foot off the gas at the start, and then have real flurries in our play (totally lack consistency). All credit must go to Scotland for coming all guns blazing, and their ability to offload from the tackle showed they came to play with intent. I do worry for them though, in that they seem to get line breaks and momentum everywhere on the pitch, until they break into the opposition 22. Anyone else noticed it?? Until the try yesterday (and the disallowed one - where was the knock on in that btw??) they seemed to find unbelievable ways to butcher their own efforts, they did it time and time again against England also. Worrying for Scotland if they continue to lose games in this manner (reminds me of the Steve Hansen era of Wales, so close but so far).

Cuthbert looked more comfortable yesterday with some nice little runs and a good finish for the try - at first glance him and North look like carbon copies (must be extremely scary being an "old school" smaller winger lining up against those monsters).

All in all, i guess a wins a win. It wasn't the complete performance that us overoptimistic Welsh supporters would have wanted, but it still keeps us on track for the tournament. Despite England being slightly undercooked, they will still prove an extremely hard challenge at "HQ". Need to step up a few gears if we are to upset them in their own home.

Yeah, really impressed and surprised by Cuthbert yesterday as I habe never been particularly impressed by his blues performances. Also like the look of Shingler but not at 7, great cover for Lydiate though and can fill in at lock... bonus.

All in all just really impressed with the depth of squad right now, something I dont thinl we've had in my lifetime. All hail Gats... and I was calling for his head from Oct, 2009 - Aug, 2011. How wrong I was.

When is Stoddard back anyway... fully fit I'd be hard pressed not to pick him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I wasn't that impressed by Wales, I feel like we don't do enough with our territory, like in the first half yesterday, we had two lineouts in the Scottish 22 and blew them both. We did the same against Ireland. We need to start taking our oppertunities earlier rather then relying on our fitness to see us home in the end. I thought Gethin Jenkins was immense today, my personal man of the match, he's everywhere! Phillips was terrible I thought, far too slow but there's nothing new there. And Halfpenny is growing into our most consistant player, I don't think I've ever seen him play badly.
I feel sorry for the Scots, they threw everything at us fair play, the try line just seems to repel them and if it hadn't been for those yellow cards things would have been a lot different.

I have to say I wasn't that impressed by Wales, I feel like we don't do enough with our territory, like in the first half yesterday, we had two lineouts in the Scottish 22 and blew them both. We did the same against Ireland. We need to start taking our oppertunities earlier rather then relying on our fitness to see us home in the end. I thought Gethin Jenkins was immense today, my personal man of the match, he's everywhere! Phillips was terrible I thought, far too slow but there's nothing new there. And Halfpenny is growing into our most consistant player, I don't think I've ever seen him play badly.
I feel sorry for the Scots, they threw everything at us fair play, the try line just seems to repel them and if it hadn't been for those yellow cards things would have been a lot different.

IF's and BUT's .. They were proffesional fouls and yellow card offences. We are not strangers to them ourselves .
Most who thought we played poorly probably had a perception that we were going to roll over Scotland . Their pack is as good as any I have seen in the six nations too date .
Yes we have things to work on and we are no where near the finished article but the potential is there for all to see.

Latest posts