• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

Will still be buying as there is not much choice. The game play is alright and has some issues. Largest problem for me is the continuity once you break the line, why does your support runners lose speed?

I also have concerns for online as the frame rate is already an issue so god only knows how this will affect online play, lag etc. Cannot believe that they have not at the very least included a leader board( although states on the Xbox demo that it does). Another large issue is that there are no measures in place to avoid rage quitting. This will result in endless games not finishing. Fair enough that this will not happen when playing people from this forum, but they will not always be online.

HHHmmmmm alot of concerns...........

Last edited:
I am truly astounded that anyone is excited about this. I just did not make room for the possibility that there would be this little to offer in terms of improvement and difference between this and the older ***les. I'm also really annoyed at those hyped up previews.

Here are the good things:
1. Dummys (That work on CPU Players)
2. Changing back to the 06 drop goals
3. Changing back to 06 advantage

Not impressed... not buying...

Oh. and I forgot how sick i am of the world in union song. thanks RWC 2011 for reminding me

That's why the game incorporates Custom Soundtracks. You can add as many of your own songs to the Soundtrack as you'd like. My understanding at present is that it's unique in that regard. :D

That's why the game incorporates Custom Soundtracks. You can add as many of your own songs to the Soundtrack as you'd like. My understanding at present is that it's unique in that regard. :D
I was wondering when you would make an appearance ... played it yet? What did you think?

I gave the demo some more time after downloading the ps3 version. I actually think it'll be ok as a multiplayer game, but it is still weak. For some reason though, I find the ps3 version plays slightly better than the 360 one. But can't explain why!!!!

thought it was very fun but would have liked to second half

I was wondering when you would make an appearance ... played it yet? What did you think?

I've played it, but not much as of right now. Haven't had the time as yet, but in short so far it appears that it's both an accurate reflection of some of the criticisms extended it's way and it's also shows some pockets of necessary innovation.

It certainly doesn't appear all good or all bad right now. Some would call that "sitting on the fence", but from what I'm seeing what it does well as a game, it does very well. What it doesn't do so well, is not up to par. I can't totally damn it for it's short comings, because you damn the improvements with the rest of the product.

It'd be unfair of me to say more until I give it more game time.

After playing it for like the 15th time this game plays pretty much like 08 does...the only thing i can really praise it for is the quick ruck turnovers which make for better use of the isolation situation, other than that, it has the same ole' skeletons from 08, the pre-programmed stuff REALLY annoys me (diving save in your own 22's, diving tackles, side steps by props being the same as a winger etc etc.) The old engine is this games downfall, so disappointed seeing as there is some real head way into creating a decent rugby sim on the horizon...I just cant help but feel cheated since the beginning as i thought HB Studios would at least tackle some of the more basic problems that was littered in 08, such as the bunching or pre-med passing, there was one time during a game i was running in a complete opposite line to support players yet when i hit pass it magically levitated to the opposite side of me like a magnet to my player which was on the wrong side of me without error. These sort of issues and many others i hoped and prayed for would be excluded in future ***les, just hasnt been resolved. To be honest ill most likely buy this game should i see it in the bargain bin somewhere in my local dept. store. I just dont see this being challenging enough for me(even tho i recognize this was set on easy) I could go on but ill just end my rant by saying this...if you like arcadey controls and gameplay with no real interest in game options besides intl' test matches then this game will suffice, but sadly i like more depth to my rugby experience, and this game offers me none of that.

What gets to me is when people say "it's like comparing fifa 11 to fifa 10".

NO , its like comparing fifa 11 to fifa 07 , that is why people are ****** off. can't change 4 years of development , which Hb clearly didn't do.

can't change 4 years of development , which Hb clearly didn't do.

I don't believe this game was under development for 4 years. I think HB Studios have also been working on several other ***les over the last 4 years and I think Rugby has had something a lot closer to 18-24 months development, although I don't know exactly how long. :)

Well I get what your saying , but can anybody honestly say that they are happy with the game if you look what "other" company are going to release? Makes you wonder where things went wrong ... But I guess thats the gaming world , you get good games and you get crap games .... People should just realize that RWC 2011 isn't the only rugby game coming within the next few weeks, and that you don't need to buy a crap game if you don't want to ... Me personally won't spend my money on RWC 2011 , because once the other game is released I will not be playing this game (if i bought it) ever again.

The same people whinging now will be spamming the forums complaining that Rugby Challenge is just a remake of Rugby League 2 when it comes out. People just have an extremely high standard in their mind and wont accept anything other than a completely revamped or never seen before game before they are satisfied.

Last edited:
The same people whinging now will be spamming the forums complaining that Rugby Challenge is just a remake of Rugby League 2 when it comes out. People just have an extremely high standard in their mind and wont accept anything other than a completely revamped or never seen before game before they are satisfied.

You are 100% correct , and thats why i suggest you look at Rugby League 2 gameplay clips and RC gameplay clips , completely different in every aspect. But that's my personal opinion , and have I played both games I guess I have some opinion points to spend

You are 100% correct , and thats why i suggest you look at Rugby League 2 gameplay clips and RC gameplay clips , completely different in every aspect. But that's my personal opinion , and have I played both games I guess I have some opinion points to spend

Where and when did you play RC?

I'm actually really enjoying it. The chips are quite good, although by instinct I get as close to the defender as I can before tapping the button, usually causing the player to knock it on, which is annoying. The AI defence is quite easy to run around, but then that's by design, it's far harder against a human opponent. Tacklers seem to fly towards the player they want to dive tackle magically, which is odd, but useful for saving tries. Some of the likenesses are really good, and the commentry is outstanding. Sounds natural, and having commentators I'm use to (Harrison & Barnes) helps a lot.

Why does the Commentator pronounce Hape Happy? Pretty disrespectful.

I found the demo fun, but all these years later and it's basically rugby 08.5. Not much different from 06 apart from less game modes really. Still, it was fun.

I like the pronounciation. I means I can start to belt out Singing in the Rain whenever the ball is pased back to him and they say "Hape again".

Well just finished playing it about 6 times as each team and even though I had lowered my expectations after reading a lot of the comments here, I still found myself feeling pretty apathetic to the demo. I'm in the same boat as those in the forum who felt releasing a demo with an easy only mode was a poor decision and would have had a definite negative impact on the 08 veterans, who have been leaning towards RC.

The sameiness of the gameplay with 08 wasn't great, but the problem is it resulted in a total absence of wow moments, where you got a buzz out of scoring an amazing try or pulled a win out against the odds, or just saw or did something NEW. Medium difficulty would probably have helped, but after playing a heavily modded 08 (on PC) intensively in the leadup to playing the demo there just wasn't enough there to really draw me in. It' not just that this offering is so light in terms of game modes, teams etc. but for 08 players there is also very little on offer in terms of gameplay changes as well.

IMO anyone who enjoys single player modes only will get next to nothing out of RWC11, it's saving grace may be its online, but even that's so bare bones, with virtually no multiplayer supporting mechanisms such as a basic leaderboard tracking wins and losses.

Onto other aspects of the demo.
Grpahics: not my cup of tea, all the players have strange builds with fat asses that sort of stick out and leaves them stuck in a pose which makes it look like they're trying to squeeze out a quiet one. They also appear to be packing semi boners or are wearing cod pieces under their shorts. I'll probably take a bit of stick for noting such details, but it looks strange and a bit creepy.

The stadiums looked too 'boxy' and artificial and the synchronised crowd detracted from the atmosphere/immersion. In 08 you sort of blocked out the stadium and crowd and forgot they even existed, RWC reminds you they are there and it's not a good thing in this case.

Animations: All the same from 08. Sure they have tweaked them slowed some down, sped some up, but its just too similar to provide any excitement or enjoyment seeing the same old animations you've been playing with for 4 or so years. A complete new mocap needed to be done IMO to update and freshen up the onscreen action. In a sport with so much dynamic contact seeing the same animations for years and years gets very very boring.

Gameplay: nuff said above I believe. Also should throw my vote in with those saying kicking physics felt better in 08, bounce of the ball in RWC is very unnatural. Lineouts in 08 for me were better, at least there was something to do, in 2011 dumbing down this component in a game that is already too familiar just felt unneccessary and unwelcome. Attempted to try some of the new gameplay features, but the easy difficulty makes them so unnecessary that you end up feeling as if you are forcing yourself to do them for the sake of it.

Many on this forum may recall making up rules for themselves on 08 to make it more difficult (such as never changing your player), using the new features had the same forced feeling.

Sound: Good job here, captures the atmosphere with the music and crowd chants and tolerable commentary. Really sticks out though against the rest of the game which is of a much lower quality.

If there was no alternative, being the rugby fan I am I would have still got this game simply out of desperation. I was disillusioned with what I had seen of RWC so far after being a big 06 and 08 supporter and the demo did nothing to improve that opinion. I had very little actual 'fun' playing it, the same way I feel about 08 now after 4 years of playing that and RWC felt like I'd never left (not a good thing). I may still pick it up if RC is absolute rubbish in the gameplay department AND I can get it for less that $30NZD.

I thought the demo was alright actually. Yeah it is a bit like 08, buttons are about the same (bar the dummy), animations etc but still a step up.
Hard to judge as it is only a demo but there are parts that are pleasing and some that are not so much. From my point of view...

Pros:

-The rucking system, admittedly a bit worried about this but actually quite like it

-Being able to face the ball carrier when on defence when you hold L2. Bit fiddly on the control, just got to get used to using my middle finger on L2 I guess. Definitely the best addition IMO.

-The chip kick is a long overdue addition and is great, although I havn't managed to regather one yet.

-The option of having balanced/forwards or nearest man to the rucks is another great addition. Able to be a bit tactical here.

-Player movements are more realistic. Players don't turn on a dime anymore changing direction. Instead it takes slightly longer, well fractionally.

-Being able to pick up the ball from an isolated, tackled, player. Prompt is there for a second so you have to be pretty on to it when it does appear.

-Advantages appear to have been fixed. High tackles are no longer pulled up on the spot, instead an advantage gets played.

-Short kick off just to the right for your centres no longer works as well, this was one of my weapons in 08 lol, good to see it gone though, or minimised. Looks like the winger has been moved slightly infield to stop it?.

-Option of commentary, few options here. Gutted the Aussie hogs all the air time though on the NZ/Aus commentary. Better than having Mexted though.

Cons

-The drop goals... far too easy. IMO they should be kept the same buuuut take out the shadow that goes along the ground under the arrow. Either that or throw in rush defence so it can be stoppped, online I can see people hitting drop goals all day long (I'd put money on it).

-Kicks are still too long IMO. I nailed one from the 22 and got it near the opposition try line with Steyn. Admittedly on the bounce which I think goes for too long. Drop goals are marginally short. Steyn can nail them from about 40m out. We all know he can hit them from 50-55 on a good day.

-The cut out passes still aren't up to scratch IMO. Need to be a bit smoother. Normal passes are ok but has anyone else noticed that it's harder to draw a defender? probably just lack timing but I'm sure it's easier to draw on 08.

-Set plays appear to be the same on 08 and look exactly the same, probably more options in the full game.

-CPU still takes out the opposition player when they jump to catch the kickoff. Everyones whos ever played 08 enough will know what I'm talking about. Doesn't happen often but still seeing it once is enough on an updated version. Grrr.

-5m Scrums are almost indefensible when the no.8 peels off the back. Comes down more to luck as to what happens i.e. if the no.8 breaks your tackle/s they'll score or you might get lucky and nail them. Flankers should peel off faster.

-Penalty taps are still too similar to 08. i.e. tap and you get nailed.

-Grubbers are still not fast enough IMO, still probably just a timing issue on my part.

-Replays, too many. All it shows is the dive for a try (pretty much) not the break, set up etc. Nit picking here as you can skip it. I'd like to see replays of the set ups that lead to the try not the try scoing dive everytime.

-The CPU still takes drop goals and kicks way too much, not sure if this is due to the difficulty being set on easy but could be. Also the CPU still takes shots at goal when down by 30 odd points, another frustrating carry over from 08.

-Bunching :(. Also CPU players chasing you down when your on a break. They sort of cut across field and then fall back waaay behind, looks funny and unrealistic.

Nuetral:

-Graphics. Not amazing. Not amazingly crap. average.

-Offloads, same as 08. Not a con not a pro. Seem less prevailent though.

-Still not sure about the new dummy pass set up. A bit awkward on the ps3 control but again probably just takes getting used to

-Recycling I'm still not too sure about. Some teams obviously take the tackle and recycle instantly in real life (sometimes), takes a second or two too long in the demo, again IMO. Be nice to get ultra quick ball as well as ball you have to work to get.

-Goal kicking gauge has been moved to the other side of the screen. Or am I just imagining it?

All in all I enjoyed it. It is similar to 08 but I think there are enough improvements there. I'll probably buy Rugby Challenge first and hire the full version of this game to get more of a gauge. Basically due to the ABs/ITM/NZ super 15 franchises being in RC. Must say I am getting concerned about the gameplay on RC though. They have 94 teams in there compared to 20 in RWC. It's obvious as to who had more time in perfecting gameplay, something to think about.

Last edited:

Latest posts