• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: New Zealand - Tonga (09-09-2011, 20:30)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
RWC 2011.png

Eden Park, Auckland (09-09-2011, 20:30)
New Zealand.png
Versus Challenge.png
Tonga.png

Eden Park, Auckland
09/09/2011
20:30
Referee: George Clancy (IRE)

When the All Blacks host the World Cup from next week on, they open the tournament with a match against Tonga. It will be the 3rd time these 2 teams are in the same group during the pool stages. In 1999, they met for the first time in World Cup history, when Ashton Gate in Bristol (Wales) was the venue. With a smashing 45-9 scoreline, the All Blacks got off to a flyer with Jonah Lomu (2), Byron Kelleher, Norm Maxwell and Josh Kronfeld scoring the tries while Andrew Mehrtens added points from the kicking tee with 4 conversions and 4 penalties. For Tonga the points came from Siua Taumalolo with 3 penalties.

4 years later the Tongans were less lucky. Despite Pierre Hola scoring a try (converted by Sateki Tu'ipulotu), the loss was more painful with a massive 91-7 final score. The All Blacks were lose and besides a penalty try, there were 5-pointers by Daniel Braid, Dan Carter, Corey Flynn, Caleb Ralph (2), Carlos Spencer, Kees Meeuws, Mils Muliaina (2), Leon MacDonald (2) and Dougie Howlett (2). MacDonald (12) and Spencer (1) added the conversions. The venue that day was Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, the same stadium where they lost to the Wallabies last weekend.

Can the Tongan warriors cause an upset and surprise the world? Or will it be a plain victory for the All Blacks?

[TABLE="class: grid"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]New Zealand[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Tonga[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Israel Dagg[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Vunga Lilo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Richard Kahui[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Viliame Iongi[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ma'a Nonu[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Suka Hufanga[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sonny Bill Williams[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Andrew Mailei[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Isaia Toeava[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Siale Piutau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Daniel Carter[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Kurt Morath[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jimmy Cowan[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Taniela Moa[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Victor Vito[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Viliami Ma'afu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Richie McCaw (C)[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Finau Maka[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jerome Kaino[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Sione Kalamafoni[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ali Williams[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Joe Tuineau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brad Thorn[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Paino Hehea[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Owen Franks[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Taufa'ao Filise[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrew Hore[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Aleki Lutui[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tony Woodcock[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Soane Tonga'uiha[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Corey Flynn[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Ephraim Taukafa[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ben Franks[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Sona Taumalolo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Anthony Boric[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Kisi Pulu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sam Whitelock[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Sione Timani[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Piri Weepu[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Samiu Vahafolau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Colin Slade[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Samsoni Fisilau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Corey Jane[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Alipate Fatafehi[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
I've got this sussed. I'm putting all my money on this test so by saturday next week I've got a bigillion bucks to throw at all the other pointless games in this tounament thus becoming the richest man in the world! Mwaha!

I think Tonga may suprise a few people. They won't win, but I reckon they'll keep the All Blacks to, say, 20 point for the first 60 minutes or so and score a try or two of their own.

NZ by Alot.

Also, Graham Henry to bring SBW off the bench - then him smashed by Maka then we bring in Gear. Or Sivi.

I'm hoping Tonga put out their top strength team, but given they have a important match against only Canada 5 days later I wonder whether they will rest a few of their key players...

I expect the AB's will put out the strongest team they can - something along the lines of:

1. Woodcock
2. Mealamu
3. O Franks
4. Thorn
5. Williams
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Vito
9. Cowan
10. Carter
11. Toeava
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Jane
15. Muliaina

16. Hore
17. B Franks
18. Boric
19. Whitelock
20. Weepu
21. Slade
22. Kahui/Dagg

The main selection debate will probably be around the outside back selections: I think Jane is bound to start on the right wing, but it will be interesting to see who out of Guildford/Toeava/Dagg start on the left, and whether the AB's coaches decide to start Dagg over Muliaina at fullback (don't think it will happen, but it is a serious option). I wouldn't mind seeing Hore get the start at hooker, but I suspect they will stick with Mealamu. Similarly I would prefer Whitelock over Williams at lock, but I think the AB's selectors like the experience and aerial skills that Williams has (and he did play really well last week for a change!).

I expect to see the bench players get quite a bit of game time - it would be great to see Slade get a good 30 mins at 10, and for Boric to get some good game time under his belt too (I would even consider starting Boric and giving him 40-50 mins).

Tonga can beat Canada with an understrength team. Canada is very weak, they can't even put half of pros in their starting line-up.

Tonga can beat Canada with an understrength team. Canada is very weak, they can't even put half of pros in their starting line-up.

Underestimating the Canucks a bit there, they've been playing some decent stuff recently and I reckon they'll put in a few decent performances. And what dyou mean by 'can't even put half of their pros in their starting line-up'? :huh:

It seems that Canada put up a better showing against the England Saxons in the Churchill Cup this year, including the Tonga A side, so I don't see your comment as fair to the Canadians.

The Canada V Tonga match is a must win for both sides, so both will field their strongest teams ... Tonga will field their second stringers against the All Blacks, because thjey only have four days between matches

Bail is either trolling or hasn't watched any rugby recently - Canada are on the up, and have some very good players in the mix (Chauncey O'Toole wouldn't look out of place in most sides)

Bail is either trolling or hasn't watched any rugby recently - Canada are on the up, and have some very good players in the mix (Chauncey O'Toole wouldn't look out of place in most sides)

Yeah just realised he was the same guy who said Fiji would beat their 124 - 4 record score against Namibia. Looking forward to seeing how O'Toole does in the World Cup and then for the Ospreys afterwards. Could be an interesting battle between him and Justin Tipuric for the 'Sprays no.7 shirt.

You just all continue to underestimate new full Pacific Nations teams. I saw Canada playing, I can tell you that Tonga can easily win with a second string side. Did you just look at the changes in the Tonga team between the Churchill Cup and the RWc ??? Canada is like Ireland and other "conservative" nations, they don't have the margin of improvement the others can have because they always fielding the same team. Canada can't field half of pros in his line-up, this is one of the weakest teams at RWC.

Tonga will field his best team against the "always the same" NZers, Tonga'uiha will destroy the NZ scrum and give the scare of their lives to these guys who will just continue to ask "Why are these guys from Europe are so strong when it really counts ?".

What's so bad about playing "always the same" team?
Builds cohesion between players, and why is it a bad thing to field your best players all the time if they're available?

Latest posts