• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Springboks - Samoa (30-09-2011, 20:30)

Congrats SA for coming through a bruising game and my hat is off to Samoa for making it as close as it was. You guys said Samoa is an 80 minute team and I guess some part of me didn't belief it. Well, I belief it now, very unlcuky not to make the play-offs (probably as I can't see Fiji helping you guys out).

Samoa a tier 1 team? Probably. Let's hope they start getting the recognition and chances they deserve sooner rather than later. Although I'd hate to face them regularly if this is the physical cost :p

For the Bokke I am glad they came through and hopefully this one cleared away sense of complacency that there might have crept in after the Fiji and Namibia games.

+ Scrambling defense once again did it for us but
- should've made the 1st time tackles count for more.
- Aus got shown by Samoa how to approach our defense
+ hopefully our decision makers realize this and sort it out
- The midfield were annonymous but I think this is mostly because
- FdP and M Steyn played horrible and their decision making was pathetic all night
- if they don't turn it around we are out in the next match
- didn't get helped by the forwards who couldn't gain the advantage line often enough
- and who got slowed and turned over too much at the break down (credit to Samoa)
- though to an extent our pack didn't play this match as a unit or with our usual intensity
+ we're still in it though and
+ the knock-out phase is our bag
+ Lambie looked like the business, can join the line more but I think that was part of his duties; to remain behind at all times
+ set pieces were good
+ so was the goal kicking
- though the in play kicking were aimless; would have been better served going for the corners and puting pressure on the opposing line-out

You got it right there, i don't like the kicking game, if it work great but when we run with the ball we score, why would you want to kick the whole time then.

Phew....Well done to Samoa. I have gained so much respect for you. I think you guys are a team of the future and I hope you can continue the momentum. Would be great to have Samoa and Fiji in a 6 Nations tournament.

Happy to read this.

I think Foure Du Preez had probably his best game in the Bok jersey since his return from injury and I hope he can continue getting better bcos he determines how good we attack really because the quick ball we've been getting lately is valueable,if you compare with when Francois Hougaard was at 9 against Namibia,our ball was slow and our attack was all over the place until he came on in the 2nd half and Houggie moved to wing were he had a blinder!

But I have a few concerns with our breakdowns and First time tackles heading towards the Quarters!!

But well played to Samao especially in the 2nd half and some massive hits and Physicality from probably two of the most physical teams in world Rugby!

Last edited:
I think Foure Du Preez had probably his best game in the Bok jersey since his return from injury and I hope he can continue getting better bcos he determines how good we attack really because the quick ball we've been getting lately is valueable,if you compare with when Francois Hougaard was at 9 against Namibia,our ball was slow and our attack was all over the place until he came on in the 2nd half and Houggie moved to wing were he had a blinder!But I have a few concerns with our breakdowns and First time tackles heading towards the Quarters!!But well played to Samao especially in the 2nd half and some massive hits and Physicality from probably two of the most physical teams in world Rugby!​

Agreed.He brings stability when he hasa good day. When Pienaar came on last week, I was very un-impressed and Hougie still has much to learn. He's like a litle eager beaver (Hemmi from over the hedge).

Proud of our team, we tried hard but its hard to beat the Springboks. We improved alot since our game against the Welsh and we played hard for 80, geez I thought we were gonna do it, but no, so its all bitter sweet at the mo...

Well done to the Springboks, coming out on top in the pool of death puts the 'Boks in great stead going into their quarter finals. Lets hope those injuries to Habana and Hougarrd arent too serious as they're important players. Good luck Springboks!

Lol at SA no.6 .. Wata sook, just alil slap and fall on the ground?.

Lol at SA no.6 .. Wata sook, just alil slap and fall on the ground?.

I agree, keep that sort of thing where it belongs, in football. after taking knocks and tackles, and making a few hard hits himself and then to sissy up like that? Im sure the rest of his team mates gonna give him some grief about that one.

Well, just got back from the pub. What a cracker!!! I actually watched the match together with a 70-year old Welsh man who was cheering for the Springboks for the very first time in his life haha. When we were giving Nigel Owens a hard time, he kept on defending him haha. It was a blast!

On the match: South Africa started pretty well and Samoa have the physical strength to beat any team. The problem is that they lack experience in key positions. It's nice they have Tuilagi on the wing, but it would help if they had some topclass experience in every row. I was impressed by Samoa and stunned by the stupid responses from Samoa at the scrums. Yes, they were pushed back and Jannie du Plessis did give a tickle on the cheek of his opponent, but come on! No way that is worthy of a penalty, not to mention a card.

On the red card: Brussow was held, he was trying to free himself, it didn't work. I don't think he was deliberately hitting the ground after the smack, I think he was caught off guard. On the decision itself... It's a red card, no doubt about that. You can never ever hit someone in the face (Don't compare this to Jannie du Plessis' little ****le, it has been established it's not the same) and when you retaliate by hitting someone, you should face the consequences. I will never understand why people will blame Nigel Owens for the red card (even though it was a fair call) since he was not the one making the decision!!! It was Wayne Barnes, the touch judge.

The yellow card for Smit was harsh, but I don't think anyone will complain. We will not complain since it brought back Bismarck ;)

It was a brutal game with everything to play for and things could have gone either way. Rossouw's injury was a shock, but in the end it turned out to be a blood bin, not a injury sub. Our backrow was impressive and the linebreaks made by the 2 Natal laaities (Francois Steyn and Pat Lambie) were nice to watch. I think in the end we can be happy with the win and we should cherish getting out of the pool stages with only 2 tries conceded.

Despite Bail being a total douche in this thread, I agree with him that teams like Samoa, Fiji and Tonga need more regular matches against top teams. I do however think it's ridiculous that he only blames the SH teams for the fact that the PI's don't have regular tests against top-tier teams. I would love to see a SH 6 Nations with the 3 Pacific Islands in the mix, but it will not happen (At least not very soon). I think all major teams are to blame for the lack of experience in those smaller teams.

On the red card: Brussow was held, he was trying to free himself, it didn't work. I don't think he was deliberately hitting the ground after the smack, I think he was caught off guard.

So off guard that it caused him to roll around on the floor holding his face until the ref arrived?

What the hell is wrong with people - loads of Samoa fans on twitter and facebook are sending Nigel Owens loads of abuse and even death threats

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

The only thing Owens missed on a regular basis were high tackles... But then again, to Nigel every tackle is high ;)

What the hell is wrong with people - loads of Samoa fans on twitter and facebook are sending Nigel Owens loads of abuse and even death threats

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

LOL...I havent seen it but Im not surprised, trust me nothing will happen.

Nigel made mistakes tonight, EVERY reff makes them. I know for myself the reff is not why we lost. Im not the type to reff-bash, it feels all in vain but Im not surprised Nigels getting those hate messages lol.

I know nothing will come of it, it's just like Wayne Barnes last world cup, but people need to get a grip!

The internet is somewhat a mental punching bag for those who want to express their frusterations and just lash out to whoever.

After watching this Samoa game I started to wonder why Argentina would go to the Tri Nations and not Samoa? They have shown they can compete.

Am I right in thinking that a lot of their NH based players wouldn't be available?
I know that the 3N runs after the season ends, but if you got, say, Tuilagi and Eliota F-S playing a full Aviva Prem, then 3N, then Summer Tour, then straight back into Aviva? I'm not sure that the PRL would allow for their release

However I agree with the sentiment - Samoa are a real force to be reckoned with and have beaten one 3N team and pushed another close
On current form (with all players available) they'd be much more suited than Argentina

Am I right in thinking that a lot of their NH based players wouldn't be available?
I know that the 3N runs after the season ends, but if you got, say, Tuilagi and Eliota F-S playing a full Aviva Prem, then 3N, then Summer Tour, then straight back into Aviva? I'm not sure that the PRL would allow for their release

However I agree with the sentiment - Samoa are a real force to be reckoned with and have beaten one 3N team and pushed another close
On current form (with all players available) they'd be much more suited than Argentina

You are right, but I know Argentina has a large majority in the NH as well. I dont get to watch enough of either Argentina or Samoa, I just feel that it seems really early to send Argentina into the Tri Nations (my opinion only, could be wrong) Also from what I have read the club level in Argentina is not very well developed. I have huge respect for both unions, Argentina & Samoa, and look forward to watching them play, but I question Argentina going into the Tri Nations.

No offense to Argentina intended, who were more than able in smacking around my France team, lately!

Very good point - For some reason the Argentinian NH contingent slipped my mind =S

Going to be interesting to see how they handle the risk of players burning out

Olyy - If its a mandated international window, what the clubs like has nothing to do with it, they're obliged to release the players.

And if its not, then the PRL's agreement stipulates no club is allowed to release a player.

So we already know PRL's response. Pretty sure Tri-Nations and Summer Tours fall under international windows, and the clubs will have to lump it.

Still need to see Samoa up against the AB's before gauging there suitability for the 3N.

Can't help but think that a better attacking side keeping the ball in hand would have smashed them and the scores more a reflection of the Boks limitations than any real power shift in world rugby terms. But they are clearly a side that deserves more opportunities.

Latest posts