• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - France vs. Tonga (06/10/2019)

Clear knock on in that final ruck....no idea how it wasn't given in real time.

Sounds like they checked it - maybe it was actually knocked forward by the boot of the guy clearing out, and not fumbled?

Lesson for me, don't put money on France. Had them 13+ and should have done it easily.

I don't see how they'll get within 14 of England.

Tongan forwards are out on their feet as usual for tier 2 teams after 60 mins. Would be surprised if the French don't show another try before the end.
People keep saying this, and it keeps failing to happen (tier 3, yes, but not tier 2).
The tier 2 teams are fully professional, and just about every player plays in the top level of domestic rugby. Fitness for 80 minutes isn't an issue for them. They may not be quite up there are their pre-RWC games, but they're not far off, know (in theory) how tompace themselves, and just aren't blowing out of their arses at any stage.

As an England fan, I'm hoping France show up next week. I'll be worried about going into the QFs cold if we go another game without any real test.

Can we skip this game against England and give them the win? o_O

Can we skip this game against England and give them the win? o_O
You're French.
You'll probably decide you'd rather face Aus than Wales, send out your 2nd XV against us, and blow us away with free-flowing, handling rugby, handing us our arses on the score-board

People keep saying this, and it keeps failing to happen (tier 3, yes, but not tier 2).
The tier 2 teams are fully professional, and just about every player plays in the top level of domestic rugby. Fitness for 80 minutes isn't an issue for them. They may not be quite up there are their pre-RWC games, but they're not far off, know (in theory) how tompace themselves, and just aren't blowing out of their arses at any stage.

I'd agree but it seemed to be true of Fiji against Australia. They came out storming throught the contact and winning every hit in the opening 20 minutes, and then were flagging later on.

As an England fan, I'm hoping France show up next week. I'll be worried about going into the QFs cold if we go another game without any real test.

Here it is guys! There first honest to god, no holds barred English Arrogance post of the tournament :eek:

Really happy for Tonga. For context, their starting fly half plays in the semi-pro Spanish league, which is about the same standard as the Italian 'Top' league (i.e. players not really considered good enough to get into the Zebre squad!). So he plays in a league that is consistently weaker than the Romanian and Russian leagues.

Whoever has been coaching Tonga these last few years deserves a crack at a top coaching gig. They are so consistent, disciplined, determined and play intelligently taking into account their strengths and weakness. Punching way above their weight with their performances in this group. Still picking them to pip the US to 4th place even though I consider the US to have superior athletes.

Well, it turns out this fella has been coaching them since 2016, which is probably when they first caught my eye playing in Madrid. Toutai Kefu take a bow, rugby genius. Conor O'Shea hire this man!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toutai_Kefu

Here it is guys! There first honest to god, no holds barred English Arrogance post of the tournament :eek:

How is it arrogant? We've already qualified for the QFs and France have just struggled to put away Tonga.

How is it arrogant? We've already qualified for the QFs and France have just struggled to put away Tonga.

I mean, I'm confident too, but saying 'I want France to be better' is just asking for trouble, don't you think?

No. I think it would to our benefit to have been tested prior to the QF.

Argentina probably would have done that had Lavanini not made it impossible, but right now our likely first choice XV has only played once against a team playing most of the game with 14. IMO, we need more testing preparation otherwise we'll be coming up against our QF opponent colder than I'd like.

Great try but... 'french' flair made me giggle.

The Raka-Vakatawa one ? Thinking World Rugby rules are bad (as read elsewhere on this thread) is one thing, but this is pure racism. Just saying.

The Raka-Vakatawa one ? Thinking World Rugby rules are bad (as read elsewhere on this thread) is one thing, but this is pure racism. Just saying.
Is it though? I dunno the boundaries for what is acceptable and not are so ever-changing right now maybe it is... certainly wasn't my intention I can assure you of that.

Latest posts